Status-4-evar blocked?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Starchild

Status-4-evar blocked?

Unread post by Starchild » 2014-05-08, 07:55

I received notice earlier about this and I was wondering what 's going on. I saw in the blocklist the severity is ranked "3" in PM's blocklist but no such blocking exists in Firefox's blocklist. What's this about?

And why by default is Pale Moon putting the status in the address bar when clearly older Firefox builds opted to put it in the status bar? And why is there some of S4E's functionality inside of PM in the first place?

I know it seems like a minor complaint, but if PM is about giving users choice in featureset, why force such features (and in the process block an AMO featured plugin) in the first place?

jumba

Re: Status-4-evar blocked?

Unread post by jumba » 2014-05-08, 08:09

Pale Moon is not Firefox in the first place! ;)

Secondly S4E features are integrated in PM to offer the lost functionality of status bar, that was removed in some FF version long time ago. Surely it's in the block list not to install it again.

The choice is for you to configure it from the "Status bar options", or not to use it at all.

Edit: see the old thread for better explanations:
Pale Moon forum • View topic - Status-4-Evar blocked

Starchild

Unread post by Starchild » 2014-05-08, 08:26

Oops, I searched and I didn't find that particular thread. Thanks for linking me to it.

The choice is for you to configure it from the "Status bar options", or not to use it at all.
Where are these options at? Sorry to ask like a noob, I'm not entirely familiar with Pale Moon yet.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-05-08, 08:33

If you use the palemoon button, you'll find these options inside the list that you get with "options".
If you use the classic menu, it's directly on the list of tools.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-05-08, 08:36

I think it should be integrated to the default preferences dialog, could it be possible? at least an entry to open its configuration options.

It is not that easy to spot how to configure the status bar or if it is even configurable if you are a firefox user! ;)

Starchild

Unread post by Starchild » 2014-05-08, 09:48

Thanks Supernova for the options dialog, I now see that it is exactly S4E that is integrated into Pale Moon and I apologize for the fuss; SO long the options are there, I see no problem in bundling it, I assumed Pale Moon was using a watered-down version of the extension.

Though, to deepen the integration in Pale Moon, the S4E icon ought to be replaced with the PM globe in the URL bar dialog. :P

To jumba: It shouldn't be hard for Moonchild to modify the XML file about:preferences references to -- at the very least -- Add a header for the status bar and add a button to prompt the S4E config dialog.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-05-08, 12:27

Starchild wrote: To jumba: It shouldn't be hard for Moonchild to modify the XML file about:preferences references to -- at the very least -- Add a header for the status bar and add a button to prompt the S4E config dialog.
The status bar code is still technically being built with as an extension however it does have closer ties in Pale Moon than a regular addon not to mention it IS considered core functionality. If I am correct the reason that Moonchild's fork of the S4E code isn't completely folded into the Pale Moon codebase (living as par of browser.xul or inside \browser\) was to maintain perfect compatibility with Firefox addons. As Pale Moon continues to diverge this will become somewhat less important to maintain on some levels.

As with many things we shouldn't fix what isn't broken. That would be a reason that it is not in the main preferences dialog.

ALSO, about:preferences is largely undeveloped at the Pale Moon codebase level and a hang over from MozCo's insane "everything in a tab" statagy. I wouldn't consider it reliable or something that will live on in the future. (I would think MC may remove it at some point)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-08, 14:09

I'm sorry, but if you can find the "Options" menu, the "Status bar options" menu entry is right there... Did you overlook it?
Image2.png
Image1.png
Image1.png (23.28 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
And yes I will be removing in-content preferences from Pale Moon, since it's pointless having to maintain 2 separate entities for preference changes. It's not supported and hasn't been updated with Pale Moon specific options.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Heartfelt

Unread post by Heartfelt » 2014-05-08, 15:32

It took me a couple days of using PM before I discovered the Status Bar Options menu entry myself. But, I was soooo happy when I found that it was already integrated.

Starchild

Unread post by Starchild » 2014-05-08, 20:37

Thanks for beating me in tutorializing it, Moonchild. :P

It took me less time to find it thanks to the kind community guiding me along, but yeah it kinda sucked at first not being able to see it. My first instinct was to go into about:preferences and look for some button, and I didn't know it was under tools at the time, mainly because I didn't have a setup where the browser button existed (I had the menu bar on).