Want To Change Background Color Of Icons Toolbar

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

tb75252

Want To Change Background Color Of Icons Toolbar

Unread post by tb75252 » 2014-05-04, 23:09

I am using Pale Moon 24.5.0 (64-bit) on a Windows 7 desktop.

The background color of the icons toolbar (top left corner; where the navigation toolbar is also located) is dark blue. Some of the icons are dark in color. This makes it difficult to see them!

Is there an add-on that will allow me to change the background color of the icons toolbar?

jumba

Re: Want To Change Background Color Of Icons Toolbar

Unread post by jumba » 2014-05-05, 11:16

Can you post a picture of it?

It can be changed with userChrome.css or stylish. Do you use a windows theme that changes the window colors to dark blue?

tb75252

Unread post by tb75252 » 2014-05-05, 12:49

jumba wrote:Can you post a picture of it?

It can be changed with userChrome.css or stylish. Do you use a windows theme that changes the window colors to dark blue?
See attached file. The blue background color on this desktop is actually not that bad. It is worse (darker) with my other desktop at home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-05-05, 12:58

tb75252 wrote: See attached file. The blue background color on this desktop is actually not that bad. It is worse (darker) with my other desktop at home.
if you would like to override the color of the bookmarks toolbar you would need to create a userChrome.css and modify the color of it. Here is a hint to get you started.

Code: Select all

#navigator-toolbox[tabsontop=false] > #PersonalToolbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme) {
    background-image: linear-gradient(rgba(255,255,255,.5), rgba(255,255,255,0)); !important
  }
Try installing Dom Inspector as it allows you to mess with properties of the rendering of the window live and then when you found a configuration you like then you can override it in userChrome. This is on the edge of being advanced. Perhaps it would be better to just skip all that and just extend DWM Aero down some more using the extension GlassMyFox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/glassmyfox/

joiwind

Unread post by joiwind » 2014-05-05, 13:15

You could also try the Stratiform add-on - it can change icon colours etc (but maybe not background colours ?).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-05-05, 13:19

Ok.. I orgianlly thought he was talking about the navigational toolbar where DWM Aero Glass was extended into the client area.. Then his screenshot made it look like he was talking about the bookmarks toolbar..

I guess he WAS talking about Aero Glass.. In THAT case.. use Dom Inspector to find the proper css values to override OR use a lightweight theme such as the nifty ones on the Pale Moon site or the zillions on AMO.

BUT if your question was about changing the Aero color.. You can't (really) do that per application. Try the Personalization Control Panel in Windows or one of the solutions above!

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-05-05, 13:21

But why is the aero glass applied to the toolbar? Shouldn't it be only on window title and borders? :think:

I'm not using windows with aero, but that doesn't look right to me.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-05-05, 13:30

jumba wrote:But why is the aero glass applied to the toolbar? Shouldn't it be only on window title and borders? :think:

I'm not using windows with aero, but that doesn't look right to me.
It was the "in" thing to do a long while ago. I suppose it was to provide theoretical impression of OS integration. Also at the time IE for Vista and Windows 7 did this so Firefox has been doing this for some time as well.

I happen to use this theme and it still 99% works with Pale Moon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefox-2-theme-for-firefox-3x/

tb75252

Unread post by tb75252 » 2014-05-05, 15:54

mattatobin wrote:Ok.. I orgianlly thought he was talking about the navigational toolbar where DWM Aero Glass was extended into the client area.. Then his screenshot made it look like he was talking about the bookmarks toolbar..

I guess he WAS talking about Aero Glass.. In THAT case.. use Dom Inspector to find the proper css values to override OR use a lightweight theme such as the nifty ones on the Pale Moon site or the zillions on AMO.

BUT if your question was about changing the Aero color.. You can't (really) do that per application. Try the Personalization Control Panel in Windows or one of the solutions above!
I am indeed talking about changing the background color of the navigational toolbar. (The one that has icons such as Go Back, Go Forward, Stop Loading, Print This Page, Open A New Tab, etc.)
For that I need to use Dom Inspector, right? And once I find the css value how do I override it?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-05-05, 17:35

When I want to change my background theme, I use a lightweight theme (persona). The one I'm presently using is "Hydriel" since it has a bluish-green hue with a slightly darker footer. The link for it is below.

Once on the page, run your cursor from the top into the rectangular color and you'll see a temporary change of your background without installing anything.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... el/?src=ss

Personas let me change the look of the background without messing with the Dom Inspector.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-05-05, 19:06

According to this you can disable aero for toolbars by setting "Tabs on Top" (right click tabs toolbar),
windows 7 - Is it possible to disable Firefox top part transparency? - Super User

For changing the background color you can try to use any persona e.g. this one Wongs OS integration theme :: Firefoxin lisäosat
Or this user style, Firefox: Choose Your Color - Themes and Skins for Browser - userstyles.org