BetterPrivacy 1.67 glitch in PM 9.0.1

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Daedalon

BetterPrivacy 1.67 glitch in PM 9.0.1

Unread post by Daedalon » 2012-01-12, 15:19

Better Privacy 1.67 doesn't work in PM 9.0.1. The add-on appears to work otherwise apart from these issues:

1. Editing the protection list shows an empty list. Clicking ok saves that empty list. In other words checking your protection list and pressing ok erases the list. Also the display of the column titles is slightly garbled. The only way to add a new item in the protection list is to select Edit, manually type everything you had before and then type the new entry you hoped to add, then clicking ok.

2. EDIT: The disappearing of protected LSOs was caused by IE's clear cookies function, not related to PM.
The protection list somehow fails to work. When adding for example armorgames.com to the protection list and playing some games on Armor Games, the saves work until some point. Didn't do a full-scale debugging, but it seems that restarting the computer at least causes all the Flash LSO cookies to be wiped out, including the protected ones. With Firefox 8 the protection worked without a hitch.

In the settings I have set the cookies to be wiped out on browser exit, except the protected folders and their subfolders. Addon settings show the correct cookies as protected ones, and doing a browser restart doesn't seem to affect the protected cookies.

As Firefox nowadays is able to clean the LSO cookies, I have this plugin only to override that function so that I can choose which cookies to keep. With PM 9.0.1 this doesn't work, and the only way to be able to play Flash games with a possibility for saving is to backup and restore the LSO files manually each and every time.
There is a Better Privacy version 1.68 available as a direct download, but the only two changes in it are not related to any of the above.
Last edited by Daedalon on 2012-01-12, 15:26, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: BetterPrivacy 1.67 glitch in PM 9.0.1

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-12, 18:59

This seems to be a compatibility problem of the add-on; you may want to ask the BetterPrivacy developer to look into this. Basic functionality of the add-on is good, so the interfacing with Pale Moon works as it should.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Daedalon

Unread post by Daedalon » 2012-01-13, 00:13

After re-reading the changes of 1.68 I noticed that the problem might be fixed there. My apologies for hasty reporting if this is the case.
- fixed: BetterPrivacy timer restores Firefox from minimized state or sets focus to Firefox window
- fixed: BetterPrivacy edit protection list function removes exclusions

Daedalon

Better Privacy 1.68 corrects the glitch

Unread post by Daedalon » 2012-01-13, 00:38

The 1.68 remedies the problem. Hopefully it will be available throurgh the addon central and auto-updates for users soon. At the moment the only way found to install it is to download it as an archive, unpack it and drag and drop it to the browser window.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-13, 10:36

AMO updates can unfortunately be rather slow :/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jaycelou

Unread post by jaycelou » 2012-02-15, 16:36

that is odd, v1.68 should be available for long time already, because I'm running on v1.68 and I didn't update this for long time already.

Daedalon

Unread post by Daedalon » 2012-04-26, 19:46

1.68 has been available for a long time, but according to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... erprivacy/, it was accepted on the official repository on Jan 20, 2012. No mention when it was submitted.