Click to Play to become Mozilla default

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Click to Play to become Mozilla default

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-03-02, 20:29

According to this post at gHacks [ http://www.ghacks.net/2014/03/02/mozilla-start-blocking-plugins-default-firefox/ ] Mozilla is soon planning to block plug-ins by default, meaning that "click to play" will be the default setting. It says this will apply to all plug-ins except those that apply to be whitelisted, and are approved. My question is this: since Palemoon is currently based on ESR 24, will this affect Palemoon? I'm guessing "no," but I'm not an expert at things like this either. :)

jumba

Re: Click to Play to become Mozilla default

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-02, 20:49

Didn't read the article completely, but I think that the Mozilla is setting all browser plugins to use "Ask always to activate" as default for all plugins. This configuration is a drop down menu in the plugins dialog which of course can be changed by the user.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-02, 21:03

It won't affect Pale Moon, as I intend to keep the default setting to "enable" plugins (as found in the add-on manager). The big news is therefore "we're making something else the default" ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-04, 11:09

MC, are you however going to "block" all known harmful and out of date plugins? E.g. old versions of Java?
Last edited by jumba on 2014-03-04, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-04, 11:16

jumba wrote:MC, are you however going to "block" all known harmful and out of date plugins? E.g. old versions of Java?
They already are, and have been. That is what the blocklist is for that has been in Pale Moon since day 1. Known vulnerable plugins are already blocked.
This is why I say the "news" is far from shocking. It isn't even news. :P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite