FasterFox Lite (Custom setting problem)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

TundraDragon

FasterFox Lite (Custom setting problem)

Unread post by TundraDragon » 2011-12-28, 08:37

Pale Moon 8.0
Windows XP SP3 32-bit
FasterFox Lite 3.9.1

The add-on works fine, actually, but when I used Custom setting, the HTTP Pipelining prefences will always be unticked the next time I run Pale Moon, which caused slow page load because of the disabled pipelining. That issue can be resolved either by re-ticking it or using other preset setting. However, there are times when I liked Custom setting better, but due to this issue, I have to re-tick it at each run. Other than that, it run perfectly. Any reason why that happen? Thanks :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: FasterFox Lite (Custom setting problem)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-12-28, 09:47

Possibly because it wants to toggle the preference. The default for Pale Moon is to have pipelining enabled, the default for Firefox is disabled. If it toggles it, then the add-on may become confused as to the state. It's something for the add-on developers to look into, you might want to drop them a note.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

TundraDragon

Unread post by TundraDragon » 2011-12-30, 17:25

Oh, so that's it. Thanks for the help :D

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-03-31, 12:27

TundraDragon I used the Lite version of FasterFox and had the same problem, I upgraded to the latest full version and it cured the pipelining toggle settings problem.

TundraDragon

Unread post by TundraDragon » 2012-03-31, 13:17

Thanks steviem1 :)
However, I noticed that the FasterFox Lite is currently maintaned by different developer (previous BigRedBrent, but now Wips.com s.r.o). That, and the fact that he joined only recently, along with changes in privacy policy ("Information collected by the extension service may be personally identifiable"), has sparked criticsms in user reviews.

You can view the FasterFox Lite page in Add-ons Mozila for more details. For alternatives, I suggest SpeedFox, though it does bring its own shortcoming, which is unability to tweak the speed settings through the add-on. Hope it helps.

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-03-31, 14:17

Yes I see what you mean regarding FasterFox Lite, there have been a few different developers for both the FasterFox and Fasterfox Lite addons over the years; like I said for the reasons I gave before I now use this version : Fasterfox 3.9.8 by RsCcman Productions, which I've have no problems with whatsoever.

SpeedFox is something I might give a try sometime, although I would prefer to have the ability to tweak my own settings. Overall I do wonder about the effectiveness of any speed optimizer now due to PM's slick inbuilt optimization and they're perhaps more useful for people who still use the poorly optimized Firefox... maybe.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-03-31, 14:54

SpeedFox does not come close, and it is seen as crapware for redirecting you to their Facebook page when installed. Also, the tweaks are minor and easy to tweak on your own.

Also, it is advised that you guys use something that does not tax the server that it is trying to communicate.
(Optimized sounds a bit reasonable but I will lean towards Courteous.)

Edit: Right, I was not aware that Big Red Brent left. You are correct that people are advising not to use these new version of because Wisp's privacy policy being intimidating.
Last edited by megaman on 2012-03-31, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-03-31, 14:59

Megaman makes a point, and I second the notion that More Connections isn't always better or faster.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

TundraDragon

Unread post by TundraDragon » 2012-03-31, 15:54

Well said Megaman. After checking again SpeedFox's Add-ons Mozilla page, I wondered a bit what settings they tweaked. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any source detailing it. The only one that come close is an about:config screenshot in their AMO page, which, however, shows irrelevant settings to speed tweaks. I found it strange that they doesn't disclose the tweaked settings, so I opted to remove it. Then, I resetted my about:config settings, so they are back to Pale Moon's default. No noticeable speed decrease or something else like that.

By the way, with FasterFox Lite's privacy problem, SpeedFox not disclosing their tweaked settings, FasterFox (RsCcman) contains adware, looks like there is no more good tweaker add-ons for Firefox, so, maybe about:config is the only way to go if you want to. Though, in another section of the forum, Moonchild said that the default settings "have been made to give you the smoothest browsing experience for Pale Moon." Link. Thanks Moonchild :)

Lance1965

Unread post by Lance1965 » 2012-06-11, 22:28

I have one question, is this addon worth installing these days. Some people say it seems to slow down the browser if it does anything at all.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-06-11, 22:36

Lance1965 wrote:I have one question, is this addon worth installing these days. Some people say it seems to slow down the browser if it does anything at all.
I stopped using it to liberate my browser of add-ons, but it does accelerate the page loading.
The only thing is that you can notice it more on Fx, since PM has many tweaks that make this add-on almost moot.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-06-11, 23:51

I dare say it's not at all useful for Pale Moon, considering some of the settings it makes are actually not recommended for Pale Moon.

The networking back-end is one area I've fine-tuned to work best with default settings (since v8 or so it's optimal without tweaks) so unless it offers other advantages I'd actually recommend not using it.

Lance1965

Unread post by Lance1965 » 2012-06-12, 01:39

Thanks for the opinions. I stopped using it with FF about 2 years ago because I found I could tweak the settings myself and it is was just as good, plus it meant one less addon. I had a feeling it wouldn't be worth the trouble with Pale Moon but just wanted your opinions.