Problem with Pale Moon and Download Helper

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

1str8arrow

Problem with Pale Moon and Download Helper

Unread post by 1str8arrow » 2013-10-06, 15:14

I am new to pale moon, and not a fire fox user. Chose pale moon over fire fox, so this is my first experience with the fire fox environment.

Also, total end user...no programming experience or any of that. Just like to use my computer.

I'm using pale moon 24 and after much reading about add-ons, I downloaded the "download helper" add-on as a first try with add-ons. The add-on appeared to install correctly, though the download and install menus were not what I expected. I chalked that up to different revisions or something like that.

The problem I'm experiencing with the download helper add-on is that when I locate a video on a page to download and click on the small icon to the right of the download helper icon, I see a list of all the videos on the loaded page. When I move the cursor over the file name, a drop down box appears offering the available options for the file such as download and convert, but the drop down menu disappears before I can click on any of the options. If I leave my cursor over the file name, the drop down menu just disappears. It only stays on the screen for about a second to a second and a half.

If I attempt to get to the drop down menu several times, the download helper icon greys out and I have to reload the page to bring the icon active again.

Like I said, I'm no programmer and definitely not a windows expert, but any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Problem with Pale Moon and Download Helper

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-10-06, 16:26

Did a quick search, and this appears to be a known bug (so the problem seems to be with the plug-in itself, and not with Pale Moon or the interaction between the two, per se). See here:

http://bugzilla.downloadhelper.net:8080/show_bug.cgi?id=573

There are a lot of people on this forum who may be able to help; the best I can do is to say to try another downloader that is a stand-alone program (i.e., not a plug-in).
Last edited by ron_1 on 2013-10-06, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

1str8arrow

Unread post by 1str8arrow » 2013-10-06, 16:51

Thanks, helliomustbegoing. Informative, but not the assistance I was hoping for...lol. Your suggestion about other users on the forum with possible resolutions sounds great. Which topic would you suggest for a posting regarding this problem?

As impressive as pale moon is, would have thought that the fire fox add-on compatibility issues would have been resolved. And, as I understand it, the download helper add-on is one of the basic add-on's. Sort of puts me in the uninstall pale moon mode and risk the many issues with firefox.

For the record, from what I've seen...pale moon is the preferred. A lot of my decision to keep or uninstall will depend on my ability to resolve the issues I encounter.

Once again, thanks for your time and your effort.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-10-06, 17:15

I'm just a computer user like you, but I think it would be safe to say that if this plug-in doesn't work on your computer with Pale Moon, it probably wouldn't work on your computer with Firefox. I'm assuming the person who posted the bug report on bugzilla is a Firefox user; at least that's the greater possibility.

Personally for me, if I had a problem like yours, I'd stick with Pale Moon and find another plug-in or program that works. I'd advise to wait and see what others will say on this post before doing anything.
As impressive as pale moon is, would have thought that the fire fox add-on compatibility issues would have been resolved.
I don't think it's a compatibility issue; it's "just" a bug. Big difference. :) The responsibility to fix this rests with the developer of the add-on (not with Pale Moon's developer), as the problem is with the add-on, not the browser (since the problem apparently occurs on both PM & FF).

ninaholic

Unread post by ninaholic » 2013-10-06, 18:39

If you're using it for Youtube videos, try going to Pale Moon -> Addons and search for "Youtube downloader" (in the top-right field). I get 133 results. Look for the newest ones (September/October 2013) and test out the ones that look good, you can read reviews of each to see if people are having success with it recently also by clicking on "More". The most recent one called "Download Helper" I saw was from August, and looks like it needs to be updated (based on it's recent reviews like "this has worked for 3 years and now it doesn't" etc.). The developer needs to keep updating it because Youtube is always changing their signature method, that seems to be the main reasons why these plug-ins are not still all on version 1.0 (according to developer revision comments).

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2013-10-08, 00:12

It does seem like an addon issue. I do happen to use DownloadHelper, and can't say I've had that issue before. Currently, version 4.9.21 doesn't seem to display that issue on Youtube (just for testing purposes). Which version are you using?

Have you tried just clicking on the filename from the first dropdown menu rather than going to the submenu? If you have the addon configured, you'll have all quality formats available on the main menu.
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon

majormom

Unread post by majormom » 2014-05-08, 14:53

I too am suddenly (since I dumped FF and changed to Pale Moon) having issues with Download Helper 4.9.22. I had paid for the conversion feature and have the activation code. However, when I try to convert I get the error I need to install a converter. When I click on the link I get the "502 Bad gateway nginx 1.4.1 Ubuntu" error. In addition I cannot access the enter registration code from the preferences drop down. The license information, owner, key, owner email; all these areas are now blank. The I am running win-7 home Premium 64 bit OS with pale moon 64 bit. Until this "conversion" issue the downloads have worked well.

Heidi4Pmoon

Unread post by Heidi4Pmoon » 2014-05-18, 23:12

In the firefox ad ons. Download- "Download youtube videos as mp4" extension. This works good with P M.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-19, 09:22

majormom wrote:I too am suddenly (since I dumped FF and changed to Pale Moon) having issues with Download Helper 4.9.22. I had paid for the conversion feature and have the activation code. However, when I try to convert I get the error I need to install a converter. When I click on the link I get the "502 Bad gateway nginx 1.4.1 Ubuntu" error. In addition I cannot access the enter registration code from the preferences drop down. The license information, owner, key, owner email; all these areas are now blank. The I am running win-7 home Premium 64 bit OS with pale moon 64 bit. Until this "conversion" issue the downloads have worked well.
By the looks of it, the conversion feature is hosted remotely and the it tries to connect to a server from within the add-on, and the server fails (502 means "bad gateway" which means a misconfiguration on the server (that is running nginx on Ubuntu, but that aside)). I assume the add-on relies on the server responding properly and is not handling any errors gracefully. This has nothing to do with Pale Moon, since this is communication between the add-on and the add-on's "conversion server". You have to contact them to get this resolved. If you aid for it, I'd ask for a refund because it's a service not being delivered.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

griffrag13626

Unread post by griffrag13626 » 2014-05-23, 20:07

i tried the link mentioned and it does not come up. still trying to figure out how to add download helper or and other download manager to PaleMoon, can some help me.

griffrag13626

Unread post by griffrag13626 » 2014-05-23, 21:00

I used the PM migration tool to move my addons from Firefox and it did not seem to carry over the download helper with it, please advise.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-05-24, 01:30

griffrag13626 wrote:i tried the link mentioned and it does not come up. still trying to figure out how to add download helper or and other download manager to PaleMoon, can some help me.
I use download helper as my main source for get my videos. You need to put it in the toolbar so it makes life easier: Download Helper>Preferences>Appearance check the space where you want to see the icon (I suggest in Tools menu and tool bar menu). Then you can just go to your page and press the icon, then you see all your available preferences I suggest the [HQ5] for HD videos or the next one [Medium]. If the video is protected, please reload the page and see the list of files, any file ending in mp4 is the HD version but different quality, choose the biggest.

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2014-05-24, 21:07

lobocursor wrote:I use download helper as my main source for get my videos. You need to put it in the toolbar so it makes life easier: Download Helper>Preferences>Appearance check the space where you want to see the icon (I suggest in Tools menu and tool bar menu). Then you can just go to your page and press the icon, then you see all your available preferences I suggest the [HQ5] for HD videos or the next one [Medium]. If the video is protected, please reload the page and see the list of files, any file ending in mp4 is the HD version but different quality, choose the biggest.
Pretty much this.

Also, it should be noted that due to Google now encrypting separate streams for 1080p content, DownloadHelper (and nearly all similar alternatives) are unable to download 1080p videos due to lack of access to encryption keys. However, apparently it's still possible to get the content, just that video and audio needs to be downloaded separately and muxed afterwards.
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2014-05-29, 03:50

Just tried this one, works fine with 1080p, you just have to add "videodroid.org" in NoScript, to click on a button and enter a captcha:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -download/