pale moon won't recognise that quicktime is installed

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

irish

pale moon won't recognise that quicktime is installed

Unread post by irish » 2013-10-04, 22:57

If i try to stream mp3 files in pale moon, i get the message that quicktime cannot be found. It wotks fine in firefox. I have imported my firefox profile into pale moon.

Snappy Phoenix

Re: pale moon won't recognise that quicktime is installed

Unread post by Snappy Phoenix » 2013-10-05, 16:08

can u give me the link I can test it for u

I have a clean Pale Moon Profile and the QuickTime Alternative Plugin so I can try

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2013-10-05, 17:23

irish wrote:I have imported my firefox profile into pale moon.
This might be a part of the problem : importing FF profile brings all its preferences to PM exactly as it was in FF; which might mess up things since PM and FF have some differences.

Starting with a fresh profile would be one of the things to do.

Snappy Phoenix

Unread post by Snappy Phoenix » 2013-10-06, 10:37

Also, IMHO, I think importing the Firefox profile is just a quick solution if you want to get started and use your Pale Moon Browser, but it is not recommended as you lose the basic default options that Pale Moon has which are more optimized, If I were you I would wipe all my profiles and start with a clean Pale Moon profile

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2013-10-06, 22:56

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Quicktime is a 32-bit-only module. It that's the case, it will work with Palemoon-32 (which will use the same profile you currently have for Palemoon-64), but not with Palemoon-64.

Solutions? Fortunately, there are a few.

1. Install VLC Media Player, which is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit (click on "Other Systems" just below the big button and you'll get it). Its plugin allows you to play mp3 files and a whole bunch of media formats. This will give you the same "transparent" experience you have witnessed with Firefox and the Quicktime plugin.

2. Download the files on your desktop and play them "manually"… which is a nice "if-all-else-fails" solution.

3. Do the same, but automatically. In Tools –> Options –> Applications, search for "audio" in a string. Then instead of "open using the plugin in Pale Moon", select, for example, "open with VLC". This way, the MP3 file will be downloaded and then will be played automatically. Not exactly streaming, but on the other hand, you then have full control of how the file is played.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

digitalcongo

Unread post by digitalcongo » 2013-10-29, 01:44

does this help?

In the Location bar, type about:config and press Enter.
The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise! to continue to the about:config page.
Search for: plugins.load_appdir_plugins
Double-click plugins.load_appdir_plugins to change its value to true.
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button and then select Exit . When you restart Firefox the plugins will be enabled.