Unable to use ZoomTesxt on Pale Moon

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Quantrel

Unable to use ZoomTesxt on Pale Moon

Unread post by Quantrel » 2013-09-30, 09:44

Greetings

I am a disabled vet that has to use ZoomText for text to speech.
Upon recently installing Pale Moon I found that ZoomText would not run text to speech on it.
ZoomText technical support is worthless at best.
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone one who uses text to speech could tell me what one works for Pale Moon.
ZoomText just works on a point and click action...no need to highlight text for reading.
I am running the 64 bit version of PM on a HP 2.8 AMD processor with Windows 7.
Many Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

dark_moon

Re: Unable to use ZoomTesxt on Pale Moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-09-30, 15:48

Welcome to the forum!

ZoomText is a addon or what?
If yes, then you must write the addon developer a message so he can update their addon.
This isn't then a part for us.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-09-30, 18:19

Doing a quick search, I found this.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/text-to-voice/

Not sure how great it works (or if at all). Unlike your ZoomText, this add-on says you must select the text first.

Quantrel

Unread post by Quantrel » 2013-09-30, 20:05

Many thanks for the replies.
ZoomText is a windnows application for the visually challenged.
It works fine in Firefox and I was amazed that it refuses to do TTS in Pale Moon.
When run in FF all you do is point and click the start of a text area and hit the activation keys for it to read the entire document.
I have looked at some add ons for FF and they all require highlighting of the text to be read.
Hoping for some other user's input on getting a good TTS for use with Pale Moon be it either application or add on.
Regards
Quantrel

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-09-30, 20:12

@Quantrel: - have you tried Ai Squared's own suggestions? KB: ZoomText with Firefox 4 and up: Loss of xFont & ZoomText Tech Support Tip – Best settings for Firefox 4 (Video runs better on YouTube for me!).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-30, 21:06

If it comes as its own installer .exe, it may not install the necessary files in your Pale Moon profile folder (because it doesn't know of Pale Moon).
You are probably better off asking the TTS tool developers how to install it into Pale Moon, and/or ask them to support pale Moon in future releases.

Additionally, it is possible that it does not work because Pale Moon does not come with certain accessibility features in the core. If ZoomText relies on those, then it will simply never work. See the statement about accessibility on the Pale Moon home page:
http://www.palemoon.org wrote:This browser, even though close to Firefox in the way it works, offers a different set of features than its sibling. A few, carefully selected, features have been disabled that are not in high demand, and that do not interfere with the way web pages are displayed or function; all to maximize the efficiency of the browser. Please see the page with technical details to learn exactly what the browser supports, and what it doesn't support. For example, if you need accessibility features or parental controls, then please visit the Firefox homepage and get the official, non-optimized version of the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-09-30, 21:30

Quantrel wrote:It works fine in Firefox and I was amazed that it refuses to do TTS in Pale Moon.
Moonchild wrote:If it comes as its own installer .exe, it may not install the necessary files in your Pale Moon profile folder (because it doesn't know of Pale Moon).
ZoomText is paid for (sign up required for trial) software so I'm afraid I am unable to test this idea... but if you are lucky you will be able to find an "unpacked" Firefox extension folder within ("onboard") the main ZoomText application (installer.exe)... if so, with a few simple steps you may be able to "make your own" standalone ZoomText Add-on (.xpi file) that can then be installed in Pale Moon as normal? Use the Citavi Picker Add-on procedure here as an example: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 869#p16036 - the "make your own" method also worked with Wondershare, Norton Vulnerability Protection, etc.

Of course it may be that ZoomText doesn't integrate with Firefox by means of an extension - but nothing to lose in having a look! :)

Quantrel

Unread post by Quantrel » 2013-10-01, 15:16

As Moonchild said the application doesn't use any add-ons for Pale Moon it is all setup in the coding which appears unable to recognize PM vs FF.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-10-01, 15:27

Your best bet is to ask the Zoomtext developers for support with their installer. They should know how to manually add the features to a browser with a different profile path. Other than that, it will very likely be along the lines of what Blacklab said.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite