Iconic Firefox Menu - Change Palemoon Menu Button

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

kstev99

Iconic Firefox Menu - Change Palemoon Menu Button

Unread post by kstev99 » 2013-09-21, 16:27

I've always used this extension that uses the smaller Firefox icon rather than the default Menu button. You can get it at: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... u/?src=api
With a little editing, you can change the firefox icon in the add-on to a palemoon icon.
Download the extension as an XPI file.
Open the XPI file with Winrar, WInzip or other archive program
The file default22.png within the archive is the icon that appears on your toolbar
replace it with your own (22X22) icon, or the one I have attached to this message
Save the file (As XPI) with NO COMPRESSION, or as zip file and rename
Install the new addon and you will have new palemoon button replacing the default
You may want to save the icon, because if the add-on does an update, it would probably return to the default
2013-09-21_112235.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Iconic Firefox Menu - Change Palemoon Menu Button

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2013-09-22, 03:52

How about we kill the damned app menu bs (Thank you Office 2007 for making this a thing.. oh and Opera... they did it first in a web browser anyway) and bring back the menu bar as default or shove it into an addon.. You know where re-imagined and non-standard ux compliant things should live.

Window Frame with titlebar then below that menu bar below that toolbars, below that tab bar, below that content, below that status bar.. Standard UX Design in it's most basic and efficient.

The days of worrying about screen real estate is long dead.. Why this fascination with over simplification and shoving everything on one line. (throwing junk in the caption bar.. merging the navigation bar with the tab bar or any other insane method that over time everyone will copy)

Of course these days we don't just have different modes for choice.. If something looks like it might be complicated to someone who hasn't ever used a computer before... (which is HOW MANY PEOPLE?!) let alone the fact that those people will either use what they find (set as default) already there no matter how it is designed or laid out or use what someone who does know what they are doing and likely installed PM on their system (which is basically the same damned thing)... just rip it out all together.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-09-22, 07:54

There is a easy way to change the menu button.
Here are many css code's for your userchrome.css: http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/all/button

I have made my own code. Just a simple drop:
button.png
Code:
#appmenu-button{min-width:0!important;padding:0!important}
#appmenu-button:not(:hover){background:none!important}
#appmenu-button-container > * > .box-inherit{min-width:12px;background:url("chrome://browser/skin/appmenu-dropmarker.png")center 75% no-repeat}
#appmenu-button-container > * > .box-inherit *{display:none!important}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-22, 08:49

mattatobin wrote:How about we kill the damned app menu bs...
Even though I never use the appmenu button myself (mostly because it doesn't have all the options I get in my normal menu, and navigating it is odd), I recognize that people expect it to be there. Putting it in an add-on might have been an option when the button was first introduced, but a little too late for that now ;)

Note, also, it takes exactly 1 click to get your menu, forever. http://www.palemoon.org/faq.shtml#Preference_4.x:_Restore_menu_bar
Even with the appmenu, tapping "Alt" will give you full menus as well.

The Appmenu + tabs in the titlebar is actually an indispensable combination for netbooks. If you only have 600 px vertical to play with (or 768 if you're lucky) then having the standard 5-tier UI layout can be bothersome.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2013-09-26, 05:03

I have a userChrome hack to kill that menu no matter if the menu bar is showing or not.

#appmenu-button .button-box .box-inherit .button-text {
display: none;
}

But you are of course quite correct. My post was more of a rant than anything else. Yeah good points and maybe bad points.. Oh well. The fact is choice remains in Pale Moon at every level from normal methods to userChrome hacks. Which is why Pale Moon's interface if nothing else will remain superior to all others especially after Firefox gets it's pseudo-chrome UI make over. (Yes I am not even dignifying that decision on Mozilla's part with it's proper name anymore..)