pm 33.0.1 Slower than before

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

xissuesx
Moonbather
Moonbather

pm 33.0.1 Slower than before

Unread post by xissuesx » 2024-02-29, 14:08

This version quickly jumps to "not responding" & is very slow compared to previous one & maybe a third version ago,
i thought this would have been fixed overtime but it became worse.
Always using latest pm version in x64, win8.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: pm 33.0.1 Slower than before

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-29, 15:00

Just go use a ChromeZilla browser. Sick of your pointless posts here that never include any actionable information, just wasting yours and everyone else's time with vague generalizations that somehow don't affect anyone else.

You only ever show up to complain about it being 'slow' and expect everyone to play 20 questions to figure out WTF is going with your setup.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-02-29, 15:17

A refresh of your troubleshooting information would be helpful.
If you're still on a gfx driver from 2013, update that first.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-02-29, 15:57

xissuesx wrote:
2024-02-29, 14:08
This version quickly jumps to "not responding" & is very slow compared to previous one & maybe a third version ago,
i thought this would have been fixed overtime but it became worse.
Anytime family members call me and complain about gradual slowing (with their other browsers), I tell them 'unplug the modem from the electrical source, wait five minutes, plug back in' and they nearly always respond 'that's amazing, it's so fast now!'. A lot of those modems will just get slower and slower and slower the more weeks and months you use them without restarting/refreshing.

Also, a lot of modems will degrade over time and you have to demand a replacement unit from the internet provider (or replace it yourself if you purchased it a long time ago).

Anyway, without the data @moonbat and @Moonchild are asking for there's no way to know.

xissuesx
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xissuesx » 2024-03-01, 01:21

It's not the modem.. because it was the same modem many versions ago..
& "Anyway, without the data @moonbat and @Moonchild are asking for there's no way to know."
there are thousands & thousands of people using the same last version & if i experience a difference, with or without classic addons,
there's a chance others will too even without classic addons. & if not, i gave that info here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29908#p240112
& like i said before, i cannot dump addons noone's willing to update after 10 years or more, so my last option will be definitely reverting to an older version, maybe 3 up to 4 versions ago. I'm just making the palemoon coders notice that issue occured again to make sure they're aware of the situation, either they wish to look at what consumes more memory & what can be responsible of that "not responding" issue coming up way too faster than before, cause it got worse with latest updates, "because i updated".. so it'd be hard to believe i'm the only one facing the issue. my remark is simply a hope to see that issue reverting back & not being forgotten over time, as i've been experiencing it since 2 to 3 versions ago. & i'm at a point of reverting back forever.

fingers crossed.

xissuesx
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xissuesx » 2024-03-01, 01:25

plus, Dear moonbat.. .

"WTF is going with your setup."

I updated..

xissuesx
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xissuesx » 2024-03-01, 01:38

Hi moonchild,

it's very hard to find a compatible display driver other than the computer's company's model's driver..
it can also engage compatibility issues, but i'll try to look at it. & if you've updated palemoon in a way
that people have to acquire more performant drivers & eventually hardware too, & it's the last option,
then i'll definitely revert back to another version & quit updating.

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 2/28/2024 7:36:11 PM
Error: downloadable font: download failed (font-family: "slick" style:normal weight:normal stretch:normal src index:1): status=2152398850 source: https://aoutrametade.com.br/dist/fonts/slick.woff
Source File: https://aoutrametade.com.br/dist/bundle-all.min.css?k4afw2/NKp3rL0AaCUcGe/+MdQ9X3K+xX+svDpmAwLU=
Line: 1, Column: 105195
Source Code:
@font-face {   font-family: "slick";   font-style: normal;   font-weight: 400;   src: url("fonts/slick.eot?#iefix") format("embedded-opentype"), url("fonts/slick.woff") format("woff"), url("fonts/slick.ttf") format("truetype"), url("fonts/slick.svg#slick") format("svg"); }

Timestamp: 2/28/2024 7:23:54 PM
Error: gitcdn.xyz:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for the following names:
  *.parklogic.com, parklogic.com  

(Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN)

Timestamp: 2/28/2024 7:36:11 PM
Error: TypeError: ownerDocument.defaultView is null
Source File: chrome://mza/content/saving/ContentPolicy.js
Line: 73

Timestamp: 2/28/2024 7:38:32 PM
Error: TypeError: abtn[0].closest(...) is null
Source File: chrome://greasemonkey-modules/content/sandbox.js -> file:///C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/Moonchild%20Productions/Pale%20Moon/Profiles/r4hvwhb2.default/gm_scripts/Google_Hit_Hider_by_Domain_(Search_Filter_Block_Sites)/Google_Hit_Hider_by_Domain_(Search_Filter_Block_Sites).user.js
Line: 425

Timestamp: 2/28/2024 7:38:55 PM
Error: document.getElementsByTagName(...)[0] is undefined
Source File: chrome://greasemonkey-modules/content/sandbox.js -> file:///C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/Moonchild%20Productions/Pale%20Moon/Profiles/r4hvwhb2.default/gm_scripts/Auto_Page_Reload_on_Error_&_Gateway_Problem_Fixer/Auto_Page_Reload_on_Error_&_Gateway_Problem_Fixer.user.js
Line: 36

Timestamp: 2/29/2024 12:00:01 AM
Error: TypeError: this.timer is undefined
Source File: chrome://dta-modules/content/support/timers.js
Line: 33

Timestamp: 2/29/2024 12:21:30 AM
Error: TypeError: o.form is null
Source File: chrome://autofill/content/ff-overlay.js
Line: 122

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-03-01, 04:02

xissuesx wrote:
2024-03-01, 01:21
& like i said before, i cannot dump addons noone's willing to update after 10 years or more, so my last option will be definitely reverting to an older version, maybe 3 up to 4 versions ago. I'm just making the palemoon coders notice that issue occured again to make sure they're aware of the situation, either they wish to look at what consumes more memory & what can be responsible of that "not responding" issue coming up way too faster than before, cause it got worse with latest updates, "because i updated".. so it'd be hard to believe i'm the only one facing the issue. my remark is simply a hope to see that issue reverting back & not being forgotten over time, as i've been experiencing it since 2 to 3 versions ago. & i'm at a point of reverting back forever.
"3 or 4 versions ago" is not very helpful in giving us a regression window for any kind of issue. I really don't think we've changed very much that would make things significantly slower like you're saying, and what little we have changed is for the sake of better web compatibility. So if you revert to an older version, then pretty soon you'll find that a lot of websites don't work...

We can't know where to look if we don't even know when the issue started or what triggered it in the first place. If you aren't willing to help us help you, then... this post is not much help, it's just tantamount to saying "Pale Moon sucks, old versions were better, and I'm mad at you because you can't snap your fingers and make it better."

I would recommend against using an older version of Pale Moon. The web compatibility won't be there for long, we won't support it, and it will have unpatched security vulnerabilities. You would be better off just not using Pale Moon at all than using an old version.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

xissuesx
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xissuesx » 2024-03-01, 04:08

"Pale Moon sucks, old versions were better, and I'm mad at you because you can't snap your fingers and make it better."

sounds impressive, but pretty assumptive & displaced.

nevertheless, i have all the addons i need, & i wont get em in the standard firefox that dumped classic addons years ago with 30% of them
never updated to webextensions.

so if u believe finding another browser's my best option, instead of using a previous release & quit updating, it's naturally wrong.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-03-01, 04:28

xissuesx wrote:
2024-03-01, 04:08
so if u believe finding another browser's my best option, instead of using a previous release & quit updating, it's naturally wrong.
I'm not exactly wrong, it's just I would prioritize security, web compatibility, and support over perceived rendering speed of a smaller number of sites... we clearly have different priorities, then.

Well, anyway, if you are determined to find a "last good version" of Pale Moon and stop updating, would you mind at least telling us which version it is that you think is so much "faster"? Is it in the 32.x series, or 31.x series, etc? There are multiple version numbers that can get bumped with each release, so I really don't know what you mean when you say 3 or 4 versions ago. Do you mean 3 or 4 releases ago, which would be somewhere in the 32.x series, or do you mean that 3 or 4 major versions ago, which would be 29.x/28.x from several years back?

Also, how will you know if we fix the issue if you stop trying newer versions of Pale Moon altogether? For all you know, we might fix it a year or two from now while touching something unrelated, and then you would still be stuck on an old version because you assume it's still broken. Since we can't even reproduce the issue, and are not clear on what the cause is, we also won't know to tell you when or if it's fixed either...
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

xissuesx
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xissuesx » 2024-03-01, 04:45

I tend to believe my issue could be in moonchilds remark.. "display drivers".. drivers for an l520 laptop above 2013 exist, but they affect more general laptops. i'm gonna try that. cause the time it takes for menu references to finally be enlighted is abnormal to me.
(either from menu bar) or page's submenu.

I'm gonna try to play with it first. if it's the case, i might not downgrade & update this thread.

"Also, how will you know if we fix the issue if you stop trying newer versions of Pale Moon altogether? For all you know, we might fix it a year or two from now while touching something unrelated"

i'll give you a setup name of a possible downgrade if the issue above wasn't fixed.
& try new updates over time & if it's fixed, i'll be lucky then, if not, ill revert back
to the old version & so on.

but when i switch from a webpage to thunerbird, parts of the gui disappear....
moonchild must have guessed the right issue. because i followed classic installations of drivers
from the lenovo website for win8 x64.

the mention: i should seek display drivers written after 2013, is what should help me fix it.

i'm gonna go play with the display driver possible updates for now..

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-03-01, 06:22

athenian200 wrote:
2024-03-01, 04:28
would you mind at least telling us which version it is that you think is so much "faster"?
Don't waste your time with him - like I accurately pointed out - he will just waste everyone's time writing vague paragraphs about every damn thing other than what has been asked. This thread will also drag on like the other ones he has started before petering out.
The busted version, the oh so precious addons he can't live without, the websites that are running slow, the ghost of a hint of any relevant and usable troubleshooting info - all of this is super classified information that can never be given out. :coffee:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

xissuesx
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xissuesx » 2024-03-01, 07:09

Driver updates didn't work, all i had to do was uninstalling, restarting & reinstalling
Got rid of the 120% of os scaling
moved from 1600x900
to 1366x768 resolution.

so now the sluggy mouse actions & "not responding" are gone
& this topic can be closed.

I have to go play with borders sizes, font type, etc of the os now.
Thanks for your support moonchild & athenian ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-01, 09:59

So what exactly did you do to fix it? What did you "uninstall and reinstall"? Pale Moon? your video driver? something else?
If Pale Moon, did you start with a new profile or not?
If the scaling was the problem, did you scale it at the system level? (in that case yet another bit of evidence your drivers are woefully broken, but important for us to know to help others in a similar situation) Or did you scale it in the browser itself?
If it's a driver issue, can you provide your troubleshooting information so we can potentially update the blocklist for it? That info would be useful either way because what you did might indicate more where the problem was.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2024-03-01, 12:19

For my part, I can honestly say that Pale Moon works slower than on version 33.0. Could this be the reason for the "heavier code"? I tested on https://pl.fbackup.com/, https://orama-interactive.itch.io/pixelorama, https://www.7-zip.org/ and https://lospec.com/palette- list Where can I find information about Pale Moon's performance to add it here?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-01, 13:08

There is no reason that 33.0.1 would work any different than 33.0.0, performance-wise. It's a simple bugfix release and nothing has been addressed that could impact performance in a major way.

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2024-03-01, 13:20

Moonchild wrote:
2024-03-01, 13:08
There is no reason that 33.0.1 would work any different than 33.0.0, performance-wise. It's a simple bugfix release and nothing has been addressed that could impact performance in a major way.
I understand and I don't blame you.
I just see that Pale Moon freezes every few moments while loading pages.
Maybe it's a disk/processor fault.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-01, 14:04

Try restarting.

Piotr Kostrzewski
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Piotr Kostrzewski » 2024-03-01, 14:37

I did this before I wrote the post. No effects.

xissuesx
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xissuesx » 2024-03-01, 14:57

Hi moonchild, i uninstalled, restarted by request of the os & reinstalled the same
video driver of my l520 lenovo, the (Intel(R) HD graphics 3000). It could be caused
by the intensive use of registry cleaners & some programmers that offer heuristic keys
cleaning (without always warning) .. . along with my blind trust which led to the instability
of the video. I can't tell if scaling was the real problem but i've kept it at 100%
unchanged after reinstalling the video driver this time. i once changed my os scaling
which affected the real size of created images in image editors, because i had a strange
resolution i had never worked with in the past, that 1600x900 .. . resolution. with a sort
of longer than normal screen. instead of changing the scaling of win8.1, i should have left
it at 100% & set the resolution like it is now at 1366x768. I haven't touched palemoon at all,
so i don't believe palemoon could be behind that graphic issue slowing the browser, as Piotr
is suspecting it .. . random websites take time to render but it's probably due to my connection,
cause the principle now is that actions don't take an abnormal time to proceed now with palemoon.