Does JavaXPCOM work on Pale Moon?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

PseudoDistant
Moonbather
Moonbather

Does JavaXPCOM work on Pale Moon?

Unread post by PseudoDistant » 2024-02-13, 19:14

I'm better at Java than C++ it would help a lot if I can use Java.
Eat your school.
Eat your drugs.
Eat your teeth.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Does JavaXPCOM work on Pale Moon?

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-02-14, 07:58

XULRunner support was recently restored to the UXP platform, but unfortunately I think it is XULRunner 2... the one that had already dropped JavaXPCOM.

The only way we could have saved JavaXPCOM would have been to fork off at the Firefox 3.x point, because everything after Firefox 4.x lacks it. So it was one of the first casualties of modern Mozilla's "agile development," with rapidly increasing version numbers and the deprecation of the least used parts of XPCOM and ultimately XULRunner itself.

It really is a shame, because the beauty of XPCOM is that it can support multiple language bindings. It once supported C++, Java, and JavaScript. Now only C++ and JavaScript are left.

I actually maintain Pale Moon for Solaris and illumos, so realizing something like that existed is actually a bit frustrating to me. Java is and always was a big deal on those operating systems, and I'm sure having JavaXPCOM would help with making it more useful to those users.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind