where are Add-ons icons ?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

albertfrome
Moongazer
Moongazer

where are Add-ons icons ?

Unread post by albertfrome » 2024-02-11, 20:30

Hi,
I have Palemoon v33 and I installed a few add-ons and I notice that the add-ons icons are not appearing.
How can I fix this issue ? Do I need to install an older Palemoon version for that ?
Thanks in advance

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: where are Add-ons icons ?

Unread post by vannilla » 2024-02-12, 03:10

Not every add-on has an icon in the first place.
I released a couple myself without one because they didn't need it.
Which add-ons did you install?

H Seldon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by H Seldon » 2024-02-12, 04:07

Do you mean they are not showing up on the toolbar, or in the customize dialog?
Did you try right-click on toolbar, choose customize? If it is there, you can drag it to any toolbar.
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

albertfrome
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by albertfrome » 2024-02-12, 11:10

Thanks for your answer.
I installed for example, user agent switcher, random agent spoofer, refcontrol, clean uninstall, places maintenance.
I've just found that I need to go Add-ons Manager and Options to get set up these add-ons.
vannilla wrote:
2024-02-12, 03:10
Not every add-on has an icon in the first place.
I released a couple myself without one because they didn't need it.
Which add-ons did you install?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-13, 10:19

albertfrome wrote:
2024-02-12, 11:10
user agent switcher, random agent spoofer,
These are long abandoned and broken addons, besides random UA spoofing will only break most websites for you and does nothing for privacy/anonymity if that's your thing. Don't use them, period. If you care about privacy, use a proper adblocker like uBlock Origin legacy. You're better off privacy and security-wise by blocking the scripts that track you and show ads than anything else.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2024-02-13, 20:28

User Agent Switcher does work if you patch it to change the setting for the global user-agent override. The setting used to be "general.useragent.override". It was changed to "network.http.useragent.global_override". I think there are two files where the setting is used, so extract the files and find the old setting and replace it, then put the files back into the .xpi archive.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-14, 11:38

Goodydino wrote:
2024-02-13, 20:28
User Agent Switcher does work if you patch it to change the setting for the global user-agent override.
There is no good reason to dick around with the global user-agent beyond the Gecko vs Firefox choice offered in the preferences. Site specific overrides are already supported for individual sites that do user agent sniffing, messing with the global agent will break almost every popular site out there and for zero advantage in terms of privacy or anonymity.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2024-02-14, 18:57

I find User Agent Switcher useful for testing whether using a different user-agent works better with a site. If it does, then I add an override specific for that site.

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2024-02-16, 01:00

albertfrome wrote:
2024-02-11, 20:30
Hi,
I have Palemoon v33 and I installed a few add-ons and I notice that the add-ons icons are not appearing.
How can I fix this issue ? Do I need to install an older Palemoon version for that ?
Thanks in advance
If you have an addon that came without an icon, you can add one yourself. It takes a little tweaking, but it's pretty simple. Take your original .xpi file, extract it, add your icon, and zip it back up. Uninstall your original .xpi and then add your modded one.

To simplify getting to your installed addon files, RealityRipple has an extension called ExtExp that adds a button next to each listed addon that allows you to export your extension to a folder of your choice.
https://realityripple.com/Software/XUL/ExtExp/

albertfrome
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by albertfrome » 2024-02-16, 12:35

Thank you for your help.
One question in mind, after exporting, unzip the .xpi and found the icon, how do you do to add this icon in the bar, next to Ublock icon for example ?
Figueroa wrote:
2024-02-16, 01:00

If you have an addon that came without an icon, you can add one yourself. It takes a little tweaking, but it's pretty simple. Take your original .xpi file, extract it, add your icon, and zip it back up. Uninstall your original .xpi and then add your modded one.

To simplify getting to your installed addon files, RealityRipple has an extension called ExtExp that adds a button next to each listed addon that allows you to export your extension to a folder of your choice.
https://realityripple.com/Software/XUL/ExtExp/

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-16, 23:01

albertfrome wrote:
2024-02-16, 12:35
how do you do to add this icon in the bar, next to Ublock icon for example ?
It's a button, not an icon. If and only if the extension exports a toolbar button, you can customize the toolbar (View->Toolbars->Customize) and then drag the button to wherever you want on the toolbar or statusbar. If the extension doesn't have a button there's nothing you can do as there won't any button in that dialog.

albertfrome
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by albertfrome » 2024-02-19, 00:19

If I understand well, the button will appear automatically in the customize toolbars once I installed an exported addons if there is a button in.
Is it correct ?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-19, 12:07

Yes, correct. Not all legacy extensions have buttons, in fact some may not provide any UI elements at all. The old extension system is far more flexible, an extension may present a sidebar, extra context menu options, a toolbar of its own, toolbar buttons, or - best of all - integrate itself into existing browser UI elements. For example if you use GetEmAll (the PM fork of DownThemAll), you get extra options in the download file dialog box. The Web Extensions API that Mozilla uses now are extremely limited in extension UI options - just toolbar buttons, context menus and if you want more than that, a separate browser tab.