Is there a theme for Pale Moon that increases spacing? Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Is there a theme for Pale Moon that increases spacing?

Unread post by paulri » 2024-02-01, 13:51

My eyesight is declining as I get older. I like what PM brings to the table, but the text appears to be crammed together a bit too much. Using the zoom increases the text size on a webpage, but doesn't increase the spacing or size of the letters, say, in the bookmarks bar. Is there a theme that does this, or at least, that allows this? FWIW, I do NOT have the "use small icons" checked in the Customize dialog window.
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Is there a theme for Pale Moon that increases spacing?

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2024-02-01, 18:14

With the NoSquint add-on you can set zoom and colours per-site (and globally)
In the Preferences-Content-Advanced of Pale Mon you can force your fonts over site fonts for all sites.
There might be others which I don't know.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-02-01, 18:20

If you want to scale the entire browser's zoom, you can set layout.css.devPixelsPerPx in about:config to a positive value. 1.0=100% 1.1=110% etc.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by paulri » 2024-02-01, 18:27

1.3 does it just fine for me. Thanks a lot!
Moonchild wrote:
2024-02-01, 18:20
If you want to scale the entire browser's zoom, you can set layout.css.devPixelsPerPx in about:config to a positive value. 1.0=100% 1.1=110% etc.
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2024-02-01, 19:18

I can achieve the same setting text zoom in NoSquint (my default is just 130% !), without zooming pictures
nosquint.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2024-02-01, 21:41

FWIW, should anyone just want a larger browser theme but not interfere with web content, I would suggest Qute Large.

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/qute-large/

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2024-02-02, 01:04

paulri wrote:Is there a theme that does this, or at least, that allows this?
Note: As Moonchild reminds readers (below)... the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) discussed in this post are all about controlling webpage content text size and spacing... and not about altering the size of Pale Moon's UI. :)

There are a series of Web Protocols that cater for people with various accessibility issues... including those who need larger text and/or more spacing. These are known as the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and the current standard is WCAG 2.1.

Probably worth reading up how WCAG works... e.g. Understanding SC 1.4.12:Text Spacing (Level AA)

The simple way to use these WCAG 2.1 AA 1.4.12 text size and spacing rules in Pale Moon is to add a CSS userstyle to the browser... see 'howto' explanation in a similar topic last April: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29712&p=238732#p238732. Recommend using Lootyhoof's excellent Stylem extension as this allows you to toggle the WCAG userstyle 'on/off' from the Stylem toolbar button's dropdown menu. :thumbup:

As the link to userstyles.org in the previous post (above) now appears dead... here is the simple code that would have been downloaded as 'userstyles.org/styles/169861/text-spacing-for-accessibility-wcag-2-1-aa-1-4-12':

Code: Select all

/* text-spacing for accessibility WCAG 2.1 AA 1.4.12 */
/* From: https://userstyles.org/styles/169861/text-spacing-for-accessibility-wcag-2-1-aa-1-4-12 */

* {
  line-height: 1.5 !important;
  letter-spacing: 0.12em !important;
  word-spacing: 0.16em !important;
}

p {
  margin-bottom: 2em !important;
} 
There are also several bookmarklets that will implement the same code on any webpage at the click of a button (or rather a click on a bookmark :eh: )... a quick search online finds: https://www.digitala11y.com/accessibili ... s-testing/

OP paulri's post with text-spacing-for-accessibility-wcag-2-1-aa-1-4-12 userstyle enabled.png
OP paulri's post with 'text-spacing-for-accessibility-wcag-2-1-aa-1-4-12' userstyle in Stylem extension enabled.

PS. Of course there's nothing to stop you altering the userstyle to suit yourself? Don't have to stick to the WCAG rules.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Blacklab on 2024-02-02, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-02-02, 01:50

While I appreciate going in depth about the WCAG and dealing with the web protocols for it, OP was primarily concerned about the browser UI (zoom on pages already worked fine) -- and i don't think the discussion for web content would be very useful in that respect.
Just saying so people don't go down a whole rabbit hole to in the end not have something that helps ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tacomon

Unread post by tacomon » 2024-02-05, 23:51

Bit related; try this extension as well, it has some interesting features:
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/werewolf/