Extension to block Join Amazon Prime ads/spam?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Extension to block Join Amazon Prime ads/spam?

Unread post by BenFenner » 2024-01-27, 02:57

We finally cancelled Amazon Prime (partially spurred by them introducing ads in their paid streaming content) and couldn't be happier. We only used it for the free and quick shipping, but the shipping is no longer quick and we've always waited to order until we've had many items in the cart so shipping is almost always free without Prime as well. Not to mention the price of the service has ballooned over the many years we've had it.

However, Amazon is quite obnoxious to shop with now, as it pushes Amazon Prime in every corner, on every page, multiple times during check-out, and straight-up lies about how much shipping we're going to pay without Prime in a non-skippable full-page ad right before proceeding to checkout* where shipping ends up being free anyway.

So I went searching for extensions that might be specifically designed to disable, bypass, and otherwise block or hide the onslaught of Amazon Prime ads. I did not find anything terribly promising, but then again I'm quite bad at finding PM extensions. Maybe someone else knows of one out there? Maybe instead I could setup UBO or maybe uMatrix or something to get the job done?

I appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks.

*Dismissing the deceptive, full-page offer to join Amazon Prime at this point by clicking "No thanks" doesn't actually work in Pale Moon with UBO and Pure URL enabled (not sure if they have anything to do with it). When the prompt is dismissed, I'm returned to the shopping cart instead of allowed to proceed to checkout. I had to use Firefox to complete my order tonight.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Extension to block Join Amazon Prime ads/spam?

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-01-28, 01:39

Why do you need a dedicated extension for what can be accomplished with uBlock Origin's element picker? :roll:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2024-01-28, 02:14

I don't, but it sure would be a lot easier to install an extension on our five home machines than finding/navigating-to/filtering dozens and dozens of individual ads on each of those 5 machines.

And I will say I've never had much luck with UBO's element picker (zapper?). I'll nuke an element on a page, and often it'll come right back after some short period of time. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong. I've basically given up on it.

I'll try my best with UBO from here and see how far I get. I have to say, killing an entire page load seems beyond my limited capability with that extension. Maybe I'll have to look into the docs.

Edit: Yep, just found an element that comes back immediately (one page refresh) after I've zapped it. :(
This one on the orders page: https://i.ibb.co/1TtvjqK/AmAd.png
So what am I doing wrong?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-01-28, 02:51

I have a Prime membership so I don't get those, but you'll have to make a wildcard cosmetic filter, the uBO documentation should help. Sometimes the elements have random names to make them harder to filter. If you're on Reddit, ask on r/ublockorigin, someone can make a custom filter for you.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2024-01-28, 03:18

I'll look into wildcard cosmetic filters. Thank you.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-01-28, 11:26

BenFenner wrote:
2024-01-28, 02:14
And I will say I've never had much luck with UBO's element picker (zapper?). I'll nuke an element on a page, and often it'll come right back after some short period of time. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong. I've basically given up on it... ... just found an element that comes back immediately (one page refresh) after I've zapped it. So what am I doing wrong?
You are using the wrong tool. The zapper is a one-time thing. That's what it is for. It will not store that rule, and is obviously meant for infrequently visited websites. Use the element picker (next to the zapper).

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2024-01-28, 16:15

Well, thank you very much for that skill check. I'll give that a try.

And speaking of extensions, it seems maybe what I'm looking for is not an extension, but a UBO filter list managed by someone else that I can just include which is designed for this exact situation. But of course that's the lazy man's dream isn't it, that someone else has done the work for you. :P