New uBlock Origin version released (Special mod by @AstroSkipper)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

New uBlock Origin version released (Special mod by @AstroSkipper)

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-01-22, 02:24

I haven't tested it yet. Note: "Do not update your existing installation of uBlock Origin by installing on top!"

Details here:

uBlock Origin 1.16.4.31 - Special mod by @AstroSkipper

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: New uBlock Origin version released (Special mod by @AstroSkipper)

Unread post by frostknight » 2024-01-22, 02:58

Appreciated! It's a shame we can't have this uploaded directly to the external github page for ublock origin legacy.. :(
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!
Also, say NO to Fascism and Corporatism as much as possible!

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2024-01-22, 08:45

Oh, that's nice.
I wonder how long will he keep maitaining the custom filter lists. That must be pure hell and I wouldn't be surprised if he gave up soon.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2024-01-22, 13:46

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2024-01-22, 08:45
I wonder how long will he keep maitaining the custom filter lists. That must be pure hell and I wouldn't be surprised if he gave up soon.
This is why I am going to take a "wait and see" approach on this "31" update. In other words, if it is pure hell for him, he might not want to have the staying power to keep it updated.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2024-01-22, 14:31

"opt-in telemetry by Adguard" - who the heck wants that! Unless maybe that refers to how the list is generated but the list itself is static.

Does uBlock Origin really need an update? It's mainly the lists that may need updating.
Win10home(1709), PM33.1.0-portable as of Apr 23, '24

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-01-22, 16:32

Working great - lets get uBlock on the Pale Moon extensions page to point to this new version 1.6.4.31 instead of the old version 1.6.4.30 by JustOff. Or at least offer this one as an alternative on the extensions page.

EDIT: I didn't realize earlier I was on the msfn.org page looking at this extension. Not sure if I trust the msfn contributors - I will withhold judgment on this version of uBlock and test it out further and see how it's working for awhile longer. So far so good though.
Last edited by andyprough on 2024-01-22, 17:29, edited 2 times in total.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2024-01-22, 17:06

I likewise will wait a while and see if you folks that try it out have problems. Removing the auto update is OK with me updated and added lists are good too. I hope @JustOff is still alive but he hasn't been heard from since the war started two years ago.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2024-01-22, 17:57

billmcct wrote:
2024-01-22, 17:06
I likewise will wait a while and see if you folks that try it out have problems. Removing the auto update is OK with me updated and added lists are good too. I hope @JustOff is still alive but he hasn't been heard from since the war started two years ago.

Stupid Putin and other dictators like him... wish they'd all fall into a bottomless hole and disappear forever. Them and their followers...
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2024-01-24, 15:17

Michaell wrote:
2024-01-22, 14:31
"opt-in telemetry by Adguard" - who the heck wants that! Unless maybe that refers to how the list is generated but the list itself is static.

Does uBlock Origin really need an update? It's mainly the lists that may need updating.
I am perplexed by that too, although there is no telemetry in the filter list if that's what you mean. I wonder if some kind of weird telemetry was used to gather some weird data which were somehow used in creation of the optimized filter.

f-117
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by f-117 » 2024-01-24, 17:18

Just installed V.31 on Basilisk, PM and Interlink. All work fine with no problems. All filters work fine.

I just wish there was a way to get it to work with Epyrus. When I install it, it just gives me a blank control panel/dashboard. (It works OK in Interlink though :?: :? :eh: )

Scott

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-24, 18:51

f-117 wrote:
2024-01-24, 17:18
I just wish there was a way to get it to work with Epyrus.
Not sure why you'd need it on Epyrus? Remote content is by default blocked and scripts aren't allowed...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-24, 19:19

f-117 wrote:
Well, it's the responsibility of the extensions to adapt to the application, not the application to adapt to the extensions. They were never targeted to Epyrus, and I didn't exactly prioritize designing my application in such a way so every single Thunderbird extension ever would work out of the box. And honestly I just don't like the Interlink way of doing things, and I feel like that should be allowed? I don't know, sometimes I feel like everyone here is determined to pressure me into doing everything Tobin's way even though he's gone. It's exhausting. Well, like you said, it works with Interlink, so I guess you're free to use that if you want to... I can hardly believe people still speak so favorably of it, but whatever. I guess adapting it to Epyrus is too much to ask...

EDIT: Sorry, that was a bit of a rant. I know it's frustrating to not have your extensions work and that wasn't necessarily meant as a personal attack on me... I was just a little tired when I read that.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2024-01-24, 20:03

Moonchild wrote:
2024-01-24, 18:51
f-117 wrote:
Not sure why you'd need it on Epyrus? Remote content is by default blocked and scripts aren't allowed...
Depends... if OAuth is still in the code, aka, the obfuscated javascript required for connecting to gmail, then yes it would be a good idea to have ublock origin supporting email clients also.

Icedove-uxp doesn't so... no issue there. ;)

But yeah, epyrus does have it I think? So... yeah. kind of needed.
Peace Be With us All!

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-24, 20:54

frostknight wrote:
2024-01-24, 20:03
But yeah, epyrus does have it I think? So... yeah. kind of needed.
Anyone that paranoid is perfectly free not to use Epyrus as shipped. There is the option of building it that way, but it will never be the default configuration.

I have no problem telling anyone who has this "problem" to either use IceDove-UXP or build Epyrus themselves without OAuth2, if that's what this is about. Honestly, if IceDove-UXP had a Windows version I might have just offered to help maintain that rather than work on Epyrus.

Seriously, I don't even know why I bother sometimes... I don't like the mentality of half the people that would be interested in using Epyrus and have no desire to cater to it. But there are people who I know appreciate it, so I guess I'm just doing it for those people and myself...

Still, I think there is room for more than one UXP e-mail client, and maybe some of the people dissatisfied with Epyrus should fork one of the existing codebases (maybe even Epyrus itself at an earlier point in development) and get to work creating their vision. Hard fork wouldn't even be needed... I would be willing to add more build options into Epyrus so people can build it how they want.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-24, 22:06

frostknight wrote:
if OAuth is still in the code, aka, the obfuscated javascript required for connecting to gmail, then yes it would be a good idea to have ublock origin supporting email clients also.
No, because then what you'd be doing is just preventing oauth from working properly, if it interferes with the "webby" auth interface. There's no point. Also, Oauth will not be doing anything unless explicitly enabled for an account, so there's no scenario where blocking would be beneficial: either you don't use it (and then it's not exposed) or you do use it (and then you don't want to break it).

And as Athenian said: if you don't like not getting the impossible then you can always use a different client because it's clearly not the right application for you :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-01-24, 22:14

Off-topic:
frostknight wrote:
Depends... if OAuth is still in the code, aka, the obfuscated javascript required for connecting to gmail, then yes it would be a good idea to have ublock origin supporting email clients also.
A better idea would be to enable 2FA and use Normal password authentication for Gmail.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2024-01-25, 10:41

athenian200 wrote:
2024-01-24, 20:54
....But there are people who I know appreciate it, so I guess I'm just doing it for those people and myself...
There are plenty of us out here and it's 100% appreciated. Thank you for the latest update :thumbup:
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-25, 11:51

athenian200 wrote:
But there are people who I know appreciate it, so I guess I'm just doing it for those people and myself...
Pale Moon isn't much different, at its core.
https://www.palemoon.org/ wrote:This browser is released as a community project to aim for open, collaborative development of a full-featured web browser, as much designed by the user as it is by our development team. Everyone is welcome to become involved in its development or to write extensions to enhance their browsing experience! It is released "as-is" and in the hope that it will be useful to its users.
(emphasis added)

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2024-01-25, 17:03

athenian200 wrote:
But there are people who I know appreciate it, so I guess I'm just doing it for those people and myself...
Off-topic:
Not just yourself! I didn't know about Epyrus until I read this thread. I've now switched from Interlink to Epyrus. I could use Thunderbird, but I don't like the new slick interface. This old curmudgeon likes the old status quo. I missed FossaMail when Moonchild stopped development. Thank you for keeping it alive! I love PM and now I have a mate to it with Epyrus.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2024-01-25, 23:10

Moonchild wrote:
2024-01-24, 22:06
No, because then what you'd be doing is just preventing oauth from working properly, if it interferes with the "webby" auth interface. There's no point. Also, Oauth will not be doing anything unless explicitly enabled for an account, so there's no scenario where blocking would be beneficial: either you don't use it (and then it's not exposed) or you do use it (and then you don't want to break it).
Oh... I hadn't known this. So what you are saying is that oauth is not a threat unless it is enabled? I didn't know this fact. Then forget what I said, ublock origin isn't needed. :)[

Actually, I think if you had asked g4jc, he might have been willing to help... albeit with one caveat, he hasn't had as much time to work on it since 2022.

And yes, this was about oauth2.
athenian200 wrote:
Seriously, I don't even know why I bother sometimes... I don't like the mentality of half the people that would be interested in using Epyrus and have no desire to cater to it. But there are people who I know appreciate it, so I guess I'm just doing it for those people and myself...
No don't feel bad, I didn't know that oauth was only a problem if it was enabled. That is my bad.

I thought that was an always vulnerable piece of code. No its good you are doing it, not everyone cares about the stuff I care about. So your doing a good thing for the community.

Don't mind me, I just have specific tastes. Actually knowing this, the only reason I don't use epyrus, is because I prefer the icedove branding and the fact g4jc removed a lot more code from icedove-uxp after forking thunderbird 52 then you.
Off-topic:
I have more minimalistic desires. I also don't use gmail as much as I used to. So... yeah.

I only ever used gmail for stuff that it isn't a problem if it doesn't remain private.

I don't like however their stupid imap restrictions.
Peace Be With us All!