New uBlock Origin version released (Special mod by @AstroSkipper)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: New uBlock Origin version released (Special mod by @AstroSkipper)

Unread post by Night Wing » 2024-02-27, 12:09

back2themoon wrote:
2024-02-27, 10:17
Yes, full uninstall and reinstall is required. Personally, I wouldn't mess with eCleaner. Procedure is fairly simple and quick:

1. Backup your existing uBO (Settings/Back up to file).
2. Uninstall uBO.
3. (not sure if this step is really needed) Visit about:config, enter extensions.ublock0 in the Search bar and right-click/Reset each found entry.
4. (probably optional) Clear browser cache
5. Close Pale Moon
6. In your Pale Moon profile, locate the extension-data folder and delete the ublock0.sqlite file in there.
7. Open Pale Moon, install the new uBO version and restore your settings.
The above is fine is one if one is a power user. But if one is not a power user, say a non technical person (like myself), I find the instructions above equates to "jumping through hoops".

Even downloading the new "33" version from MediaFire which can be found at the link below, since I'm using linux, once extracting the folder from the tarball and then opening up the folder, there are other folders and files listed, but I cannot find the xpi file to install it.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/pcxojp12 ... r.xpi/file

In the old "30" version on Github listed below, once on the page click on the "xpi file" and it installs. No jumping through hoops like with the instructions above (if you get my drift).

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... y/releases

So I am still on "30".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-02-27, 12:17

Night Wing wrote:
2024-02-27, 12:09
The above is fine is one if one is a power user.
Following a step-by-step clear guide is now "being a power user"? Come on! :wtf:

Anyway switching to this alternative is optional. If it's too "scary", then by all means keep using the other one.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-02-27, 12:37

Night Wing wrote:
The above is fine is one if one is a power user. But if one is not a power user, say a non technical person (like myself), I find the instructions above equates to "jumping through hoops".
I'd be really interested to know which one of the 7 steps above is so demanding that would require a "power user".

About your Linux (!) difficulties: I have no idea what you are talking about. I consider myself a "power user" and having said that, I still haven't switched to Linux and prefer using the "easier", familiar Windows so I'm baffled that a "non-power user" would be using Linux but still have trouble downloading a single file from the Internet.

That Mediafire link you posted, leads to a huge "Download" button. Clicking on it, downloads the .xpi file. No need to make things more complicated than they really are.

nicolaasjan
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nicolaasjan » 2024-02-27, 13:43

Night Wing wrote:
Even downloading the new "33" version from MediaFire which can be found at the link below, since I'm using linux, once extracting the folder from the tarball and then opening up the folder, there are other folders and files listed, but I cannot find the xpi file to install it.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/pcxojp12 ... r.xpi/file
I also use Linux as my main system and the xpi is downloaded fine here.
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64bit
Pale Moon latest

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-02-27, 21:09

back2themoon wrote:
2024-02-27, 12:37
I'd be really interested to know which one of the 7 steps above is so demanding that would require a "power user".
Isn't Night Wing vision impaired? Seems like an odd question for you to be trying to get up in his face about. I'm sure that 7 step processes are a bit less fun when you have to blow up different portions of the screen to carry them out.
back2themoon wrote:
2024-02-27, 12:37
About your Linux (!) difficulties: I have no idea what you are talking about. I consider myself a "power user" and having said that, I still haven't switched to Linux and prefer using the "easier", familiar Windows so I'm baffled that a "non-power user" would be using Linux but still have trouble downloading a single file from the Internet.
There are numerous GNU/Linux distros that are far easier to use and administer than the monstrosity that is Windows. And safer. Pale Moon contributor Steve Pusser helps run one called MX Linux that's just an absolute dream to use. My mom has been using it for the past year without even knowing what Linux is.

Aztec
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Aztec » 2024-02-27, 21:14

back2themoon wrote:
2024-02-26, 11:30
Version 1.16.4.33 has been released with further fixes and improvements. For details and download link either visit the link in the first post of this thread, or go to the uBO Legacy's Dashboard "About" section and click on "Information" (it's the same link).
Thanks for the news. Downloaded and installed. :thumbup:
Core i7 3770 3.4 Ghz - 16 GB RAM - Win10 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-02-27, 22:01

Off-topic:
andyprough wrote:
2024-02-27, 21:09
Isn't Night Wing vision impaired?
If you are asking me, the answer is: I don't know and I assumed the "default" which would be a big, fat no. Furthermore, there's nothing in that particular post indicating vision issues.
andyprough wrote:
Seems like an odd question for you to be trying to get up in his face about. I'm sure that 7 step processes are a bit less fun when you have to blow up different portions of the screen to carry them out.
Following my response above, this comment of yours is unacceptable. It was a genuine question, not "trying to get up in anyone's face" and quite obviously meant for someone who is able to see. I guess though, nothing is obvious any more and one can get accused of disability insensitivities in an adblocker mod thread for literally no reason.
andyprough wrote:
There are numerous GNU/Linux distros that are far easier to use and administer than the monstrosity that is Windows. And safer. Pale Moon contributor Steve Pusser helps run one called MX Linux that's just an absolute dream to use. My mom has been using it for the past year without even knowing what Linux is.
I won't argue this, but Night Wing seemed to be having Linux-specific file handling issues.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-02-27, 23:44

I do agree with Night Wing that the installation process is considerably less polished and accessible compared with what Pale Moon users are accustomed to. There is a reason why we have an add-ons server and don't really prefer having people link XPI files in forum threads.

But in the end, the author of the add-on decides the distribution method, and if you want an updated uBO, this is what you have to deal with to get it. It is what it is, take it or leave it. Literally nothing we can do, we don't provide support for the add-on, the support site is linked in the OP. :coffee:
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-02-28, 06:02

back2themoon wrote:
2024-02-27, 22:01
andyprough wrote:
Isn't Night Wing vision impaired?
If you are asking me, the answer is: I don't know and I assumed the "default" which would be a big, fat no.
Well, your assumption would be wrong. He's written about his vision problems in our forum repeatedly. For example, viewtopic.php?p=244733#p244733
Maybe grant him a bit of freedom to decide what is complex for his use case or not.

Anyway, for those willing to go through the steps of installing, I agree with you that this version seems great. I hope it moves somewhere like github or gitlab where it will get some exposure. Or maybe the author could see about getting it included on the Pale Moon add-ons page.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-02-28, 06:36

andyprough wrote:
2024-02-28, 06:02
Or maybe the author could see about getting it included on the Pale Moon add-ons page.
That would be greatly preferred. We run the site for a reason to prevent having to jump through manual installation hoops.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-02-28, 10:18

Off-topic:
andyprough wrote:
Well, your assumption would be wrong. He's written about his vision problems in our forum repeatedly. For example, viewtopic.php?p=244733#p244733
Ok then, I will make sure to monitor ALL forum posts and carefully note any obvious, hinted or underlying health issues of ALL forum members, in order to accommodate you. Here's an idea: why don't you collect all that information yourself and make a special thread, which everyone should consult before posting anything. I'd vote for you as candidate Sensitivity Administrator.
andyprough wrote:
Maybe grant him a bit of freedom to decide what is complex for his use case or not.
No one's freedom was taken but sure, keep on. I'm curious of what you'll come up with next.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-02-28, 11:14

Off-topic:
How about you two sort out any beef you may have in PMs going forward? This kind of public venom doesn't help anyone.

daemonspudguy
Fanatic
Fanatic
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Unread post by daemonspudguy » 2024-02-28, 19:46

I gotta admit, I have no idea what some of you are going on about with regards to uBlock Origin on the WebExtension versions of Firefox being more dumbed down and simplified or whatever. It just isn't true. Like at all.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-29, 10:16

daemonspudguy wrote:
2024-02-28, 19:46
I gotta admit, I have no idea what some of you are going on about with regards to uBlock Origin on the WebExtension versions of Firefox being more dumbed down and simplified or whatever. It just isn't true. Like at all.
Yes, exactly. It has more features than the legacy one which hasn't been updated in years. The logger has better filtering options, and the tree of hidden DOM elements continues to work.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-02-29, 10:55

Updated, quicker clean install procedure, as indicated by AstroSkipper:

1. Backup existing uBO settings (Settings/Back up to file)
2. Uninstall uBO
3. Close Pale Moon
4. In your Pale Moon profile, locate the extension-data folder and delete the ublock0.sqlite file in there.
5. Open Pale Moon, install the new uBO version and restore your settings.

Currently, the above clean install procedure is necessary when updating uBlock Origin Legacy. It is required whether you are:

a) updating from JustOff's old version (example: from 1.16.4.30 to 1.16.4.33)
b) updating between AstroSkipper's newer versions (example: from 1.16.4.32 to 1.16.4.33)

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2024-03-05, 23:22

Just switched from JustOff's uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.30 to AstroSkipper's uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.33 in both Pale Moon and SeaMonkey. Followed AstroSkipper's uninstall/install procedure on both. All seem to be working as expected. Thanks AstroSkipper!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2024-03-08, 04:30

andyprough wrote:
ZorinOS comes to mind and it even has the most proprietary software in its repo as an offering of any ubuntu based distro that I have ever used and its incredibly easy.

I recommend the lite version for people who loved windows xp and its appearance

Just my two cents. It worked good on my parents' T430. Only problem was a lack of knowledge with regard to turbotax. I hadn't known online was an option. Thanks to windows 10 being deprecated soon and windows 11 having steep requirements, they might use that comp for Zorin in future..
Last edited by Moonchild on 2024-03-08, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not [hilight] entire posts, thanks.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!
Also, say NO to Fascism and Corporatism as much as possible!

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2024-03-08, 04:35

Moonchild wrote:
2024-02-28, 06:36
That would be greatly preferred. We run the site for a reason to prevent having to jump through manual installation hoops.
This would be preferred for me as well, even though I am used to strange software: (Hyperbola for example which is strange in a good way)

But yeah, it would be much easier to update when needed. Or at bare minimum, be able to upgrade by checking for updates on the addon.
moonbat wrote:
2024-02-29, 10:16
Yes, exactly. It has more features than the legacy one which hasn't been updated in years. The logger has better filtering options, and the tree of hidden DOM elements continues to work.
Personally, I don't care much about the new one vs the old one. My only complaint is that webextensions is made by google and mozilla switching to it was the lazy way to do things.

Programmers should not take the easy way out. To do otherwise, shows a lack of dedication and proves they shouldn't be trusted.

Although you could say that about chromium based web browsers even more... ;)
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2024-03-25, 01:00

A quick note, the msfn website seems to be down, can't check to see if new ublock origin has been updated.

1.16.33 was last version updated that I know of. I don' t know if it has been upgraded since.
Peace Be With us All!

marigold
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by marigold » 2024-03-25, 15:38

It's great that some of you are dedicating your time and effort to maintain uBlock Legacy. What I do not understand is why you aren't working with the creator of uBlock Origin - he maintains a separate branch "uBlock Origin for Firefox legacy-based browsers" - https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy - for developers like you. And if you guys contribute to that directly, it would be more helpful to all of us as more people can review the code and you will be able to distribute it from there and officially through Palemoon addons.