New uBlock Origin version released (Special mod by @AstroSkipper)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: New uBlock Origin version released (Special mod by @AstroSkipper)

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2024-02-01, 21:44

ron_1 wrote:
2024-02-01, 21:05
The only difference I can see is that the one I wasn't aware of has "(Adguard)" on the first line, and all the blocked numbers have two vertical dashes in front of the numbers, and "$all" after the numbers, whereas the one I use doesn't.
If you go down through the lists, you'll see that they are different. I added both of them to my uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.30.

--Edit--

I just noticed that when I install both, the AdGuard filter list disables the non-AdGuard filter list. They both show up, but the non-AdGuard filter list is showing that it's using "zero" filters present. Removing the AdGuard filter list brings back the usage of the non-AdGuard filter list. I'm going to use the AdGuard filter list since it has more filters (8,480 opposed to 3,496).
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

nicolaasjan
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nicolaasjan » 2024-02-02, 05:12

LAR Grizzly wrote:
2024-02-01, 21:44
ron_1 wrote:
2024-02-01, 21:05
The only difference I can see is that the one I wasn't aware of has "(Adguard)" on the first line, and all the blocked numbers have two vertical dashes in front of the numbers, and "$all" after the numbers, whereas the one I use doesn't.
If you go down through the lists, you'll see that they are different. I added both of them to my uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.30.

--Edit--

I just noticed that when I install both, the AdGuard filter list disables the non-AdGuard filter list. They both show up, but the non-AdGuard filter list is showing that it's using "zero" filters present. Removing the AdGuard filter list brings back the usage of the non-AdGuard filter list. I'm going to use the AdGuard filter list since it has more filters (8,480 opposed to 3,496).
There is a bug in the non Adguard version of the urlhaus list.
https://gitlab.com/malware-filter/urlhaus-filter/-/issues/92
While uBlock Origin automatically detects domains (turning example.com into ||example.com^), it does not automatically detect IPs. Thus just listing an IP results in uBo assuming the filter means "block any URL containing this". For example, the filter 192.168.0.1$doc blocks both http://192.168.0.1/ and https://example.com/192.168.0.1. In order to fix this, all filters containing IP addresses should be in the format ||ip^, which means only block "ip".
(the related discussion is now buried deep within GitHub's hidden comments; starts here)
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64bit
Pale Moon latest

nicolaasjan
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nicolaasjan » 2024-02-02, 06:05

Night Wing wrote:
2024-02-01, 19:43
nicolaasjan wrote:
2024-02-01, 17:58

Official uBO now uses:

Code: Select all

https://malware-filter.gitlab.io/malware-filter/urlhaus-filter-ag-online.txt
See;
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/commit/402e2ebf57

This resource is now also used in @Astroskippers version.
There are also updated region specific lists.
Thanks for the new coding. I updated my UBO "30" with the new code you provided.

I understand I cannot install "31" over "30" without going into my old profile and completely deleting everything which is associated with "30". Since I'm a non-technical user and not a power user, I think "IF" I go with 31, I will just make it EASIER on myself by making a completely NEW profile and installing 31.

Re-installing my Bookmarks, my Preferences for Pale Moon (which includes going into "about:config), installing 31 and the Zoom Label extension; should take me no more than 15 minutes of time.

But right now, I am still undecided about going to 31.
Even for a non-technical user it shouldn't be that hard.

1. Make a backup of you personal filters.
2. After uninstalling v30, close Pale Moon; open your profile folder and delete ublock0.sqlite from the extension-data sub-folder.
3. Open the browser again; update your filters and import your custom settings.

Btw, the new version is 1.16.4.32. ;)
Pale Moon latest

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-02-02, 14:19

So, I decided to use a diff tool to look at exactly what AstroSkipper changed, since speculation was getting us nowhere.

Here's what I noticed when using WinMerge to see what the differences are between AstroSkipper's mod and the last released version of uBO...

- The vast majority of the files are identical or nearly identical to the last release commonly used by us. There was not a partial backporting of a newer WebExtensions-based uBO version to XUL, like I assumed might have been the case earlier.
- Something like 80% of the real changes I saw were related to the implementation of a "shortcuts pane" in some way. Nothing about the shortcuts pane itself stood out as weird to me.
- A ton of others did things like replace "var" with "let" which is functionally equivalent AFAIK (I'm no expert on JS, but I know that much).
- I also saw a lot of odd reworking of variable names that start with "h" and making them start with "session" instead, but again in most cases the code wound up being functionally equivalent.
- The rest of the changes were to filter lists, extension ID, extension name, and the removal of the updateURL, as stated in AstroSkipper's changelogs.
- Some changes to code comments like copyright dates and contributor names.

Overall, my analysis? Not sure why he changed a bunch of variable names, switched from var to let, or implemented a shortcuts pane, but nothing jumps out at me as dangerous. As for the filter lists he added, that's outside of my expertise entirely and I have no idea what the best filter lists to use for uBO are.

The actual list of changes here seems a lot shorter than the discussion about the changes made in both this thread and the one on MSFN... I just assumed if everyone was talking about it, it must have a lot of big changes.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

nicolaasjan
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nicolaasjan » 2024-02-06, 03:30

athenian200 wrote:
2024-02-02, 14:19
- Something like 80% of the real changes I saw were related to the implementation of a "shortcuts pane" in some way. Nothing about the shortcuts pane
This merged change (pull request #321) was already implemented in the 1.16.4.31b2 build, the starting point for AstroSkipper's later releases.
See this commit. ;)
Pale Moon latest

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-02-06, 04:27

nicolaasjan wrote:
2024-02-06, 03:30
This merged change (pull request #321) was already implemented in the 1.16.4.31b2 build, the starting point for AstroSkipper's later releases.
See this commit. ;)
Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

In my post above, I was comparing the latest version of AstroSkipper's mod to 1.16.4.30, which is the version that most Pale Moon users have used. So naturally, I saw all the changes the beta build made, as well as AstroSkipper's mod. I started from 30 because it was the last one anyone here had vetted, and we knew nothing about any version after that, so I wound up looking over it to see if any of those post-30 changes appeared harmful at a glance, and they passed the smell test. It wasn't meant to be extensive, just sort of comparing for myself and seeing how accurate the changelogs were, and I was mostly satisfied that they were accurate, and that the few things that seemed to be missing from them were harmless. As far as filter lists, I didn't see a need to look into that because the average uBO user already knows more about updated/alternative filter lists than I do and can use their own judgement there, they don't need my help for that. So, this should mean that AstroSkipper mostly updated filter lists as he said, and all of the code changes I observed were already in the beta? That does make sense.

I was aware that there was a 1.16.4.31b2, but I didn't know who released it or where it came from, what went into it, etc. And as far as I know from reading this thread, not many Pale Moon forum users were using that beta, everyone here was basically using 30 and was either uninterested in or unaware of the beta. I did actually find uBO's GitHub later on, and decided to check if anyone had tried to commit those changes I observed, because they weren't in AstroSkipper's changelogs, and it looks like they did. I started thinking and realized that these don't look like the kind of changes that would go into a mod, but rather just some vague attempts at code clean up and addressing a very minor feature request. According to what I found on GitHub, the shortcuts thing is apparently about allowing users to bind keys to shortcuts.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... 737f9901a4
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... 57fbb9be48

These are the two changes I found in WinMerge that weren't mentioned in AstroSkipper's changelogs, and they are both from a developer called hawkeye116477. So, now all the post-30 changes found in AstroSkipper's mod are seemingly accounted for. Two PRs from Hawkeye that never made it into a mainstream uBO release, plus all that stuff about filter lists he mentioned in his changelogs.

It is worth bearing in mind here that I am by no means positioning myself as an expert here. I have never used uBO, and I am not particularly knowledgeable about the JS/XUL side of the codebase. I mostly work on the C/C++ platform code in UXP itself, and only started learning a little bit about the XUL side of things recently when I created Epyrus. That is to say, I'm actually more familiar with the extension parsing code in UXP (which I have actually touched a few times), than I am with how to develop extensions themselves. I'm usually looking at all this from the other side, parsing extensions and providing hooks for them, etc. So looking at things from the extension's point of view is really backwards and counter-intuitive for me, and that's probably why I'm making so many mistakes. I know our codebase, but I don't know the codebase of any of the extensions we use, their version numbers, where their GitHub is, etc. And so when it comes to that kind of stuff, I am kinda stumbling around in the dark more than I'd like to admit.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2024-02-06, 09:10

I got lost in all the tech talk and the bad blood between the two forums (that I don't understand).
My question is: is the new version from Astroskipper good to use, and are the changes sound?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-02-06, 09:41

Yes. If you decide to install it, make sure to follow the uninstall process first (if you use the older uBO).

You'll also need to check the official thread every now and then for news, updates etc. since this mod does not auto-update.

This is about the extension itself. Filterlists auto-update normally.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-02-06, 13:01

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2024-02-06, 09:10
I got lost in all the tech talk and the bad blood between the two forums (that I don't understand).
My question is: is the new version from Astroskipper good to use, and are the changes sound?
Translation: This entire conversation has been much ado about nothing.

The new version is basically the same as the existing version with newer/updated filter lists (going any deeper than that gets us off into the weeds talking about who wrote what line of code when, as you saw). So whether you want to use it or not should be based entirely on what you think of AstroSkipper's choice of filter lists. That's it.

If you already have all your uBO filter lists setup just like you want them? Stick with the existing uBO version and don't worry.

You are struggling to find good filter lists, think he made some good picks, and trust his judgment on that? Then use the mod.

In my mind, that's what this all boils down to for the average user. It's whether you do or do not want an updated default selection of filter lists for uBO.

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2024-02-06, 20:41

athenian200 wrote:
2024-02-06, 04:27
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... 737f9901a4
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... 57fbb9be48

These are the two changes I found in WinMerge that weren't mentioned in AstroSkipper's changelogs, and they are both from a developer called hawkeye116477. So, now all the post-30 changes found in AstroSkipper's mod are seemingly accounted for. Two PRs from Hawkeye that never made it into a mainstream uBO release, plus all that stuff about filter lists he mentioned in his changelogs.
I almost wonder if people should ask gorhill to temporarily link the old ublock origin website to one that is more actively updated. Meaning, have it say, this repo is inactive due to the dev who works on it being at war, so therefore, if you want to submit issues and/or work on ublock origin legacy, go to this github page.

And of course, if he were to do that, he should have it not be archived otherwise, people might think its completely dead due to having goldfish mentality and seeing its archived and not bothering to look on the page...

xD
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!
Also, say NO to Fascism and Corporatism as much as possible!

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-02-06, 22:54

frostknight wrote:
2024-02-06, 20:41
I almost wonder if people should ask gorhill to temporarily link the old ublock origin website to one that is more actively updated. Meaning, have it say, this repo is inactive due to the dev who works on it being at war, so therefore, if you want to submit issues and/or work on ublock origin legacy, go to this github page.
Yeah, honestly, I feel like what we really want long-term is to have development on uBO started up again somehow. Even if this mod is okay, it isn't quite the same thing as having it actively developed and updated again, which is what I think people really want/need.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-07, 03:47

athenian200 wrote:
2024-02-06, 13:01
You are struggling to find good filter lists, think he made some good picks, and trust his judgment on that?
FilterLists has one covered for every type of filterlist and adblocker syntax; including stuff like blocking cookie and newsletter subscription popups.

For the rest, I can't believe this thread has gone on for 4 pages already; all I'll say is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This fork offers nothing substantial worth the hassle of backing up your existing configuration and moving over to it.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-02-07, 11:58

moonbat wrote:
2024-02-07, 03:47
For the rest, I can't believe this thread has gone on for 4 pages already; all I'll say is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This fork offers nothing substantial worth the hassle of backing up your existing configuration and moving over to it.
I'd agree there's a lot of unneeded discussion here. This thread was mostly meant as a heads-up but of course, everyone is free to voice their opinions.

I will disagree with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" part. It was broke(n). The fixing of the Malware domains section alone is totally worth it. The rest of the improvements are always welcome. Not everyone will want to research into filterlists.com to locate proper, correct lists. Not as simple a task as it may look, especially with the marginalized uBO Legacy version.

So, this mod by AstroSkipper is currently the best "set-and-forget" option available to us. The previous version is not, and essential protection will be missing by default.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-02-07, 15:07

back2themoon wrote:
2024-02-07, 11:58
So, this mod by AstroSkipper is currently the best "set-and-forget" option available to us. The previous version is not, and essential protection will be missing by default.
At this point, I hope someone else forks uBO.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2024-02-07, 16:26

@ athenian200

After reading your most recent post, since I am still using "30", I'm glad I did not update to "31" or "32".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2024-02-08, 11:03

I wonder why has noone picked up the development yet. I guess because the legacy Ubo hasn't exactly broken yet...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-02-08, 11:45

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2024-02-08, 11:03
I wonder why has noone picked up the development yet. I guess because the legacy Ubo hasn't exactly broken yet...
Seems to be the case with many human things. Only move forward/make progress when on the precipice of disaster.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-02-26, 11:30

Version 1.16.4.33 has been released with further fixes and improvements. For details and download link either visit the link in the first post of this thread, or go to the uBO Legacy's Dashboard "About" section and click on "Information" (it's the same link).

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2024-02-26, 14:59

Probably worth a reminder of AstroSkipper's recommended installation procedure for his uBlock Origin Legacy updates... an 'over-the-top' update is definitely NOT recommended...

AstroSkipper's uBlock Origin update installation instructions.png

The link to AstroSkipper's main article (in amongst a long MSFN board topic) with the detailed changelog and the download link for his uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.33 is: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183923-ext ... nt-1258602.

AstroSkipper uses MediaFire to host his downloads... the link to his latest uBlock-Origin-Legacy-1.16.4.33 .xpi file on MediaFire is about ¾ of the way down his 'main article' page... immediately below the Changelog for version 1.16.4.33.

PS. What is or was eCleaner? In his recommended installation procedure (panel above) AstroSkipper comments: "The remnants of previous versions of uBlock Origin can either be easily removed by the extension eCleaner or of course manually." :?

This probably refers to a very old extension unsurprisingly called 'eCleaner'. If curious, eCleaner v1.4 released in September 2011 is still available from JustOff's GitHub 'Classic Add-ons Archive (CAA)' page or via 'JustOff''s Extensions' listing. Another old extension 'Preferences Cleaner' (also in the CAA) has a 'Launch eCleaner' button (right at the bottom of its 'Options' page) that opens a slightly newer eCleaner v2.5... even that dating from 2013. Both work AFAICS... Caveat emptor! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-02-27, 10:17

Yes, full uninstall and reinstall is required. Personally, I wouldn't mess with eCleaner. Procedure is fairly simple and quick:

1. Backup your existing uBO (Settings/Back up to file).
2. Uninstall uBO.
3. (not sure if this step is really needed) Visit about:config, enter extensions.ublock0 in the Search bar and right-click/Reset each found entry.
4. (probably optional) Clear browser cache
5. Close Pale Moon
6. In your Pale Moon profile, locate the extension-data folder and delete the ublock0.sqlite file in there.
7. Open Pale Moon, install the new uBO version and restore your settings.