New uBlock Origin version released (Special mod by @AstroSkipper)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: New uBlock Origin version released (Special mod by @AstroSkipper)

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-01-30, 18:43

It's in the message linked in the first post of this thread. Scroll down and you'll find it.

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2024-01-30, 18:50

back2themoon wrote:
2024-01-30, 18:43
It's in the message linked in the first post of this thread. Scroll down and you'll find it.
Thanks. Btw, is there a way to do this:

discuss.haiku-os.org/assets/browser-detect-*

on an internet level? Not just one website, ie.

For ublock origin and if so how.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!
Also, say NO to Fascism and Corporatism as much as possible!

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2024-01-31, 15:51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2024-01-31, 16:08

ron_1 wrote:
2024-01-27, 21:24
So a question to those who have installed this new version of uBo: Does it work any better than JustOff's version? Or is the only difference a higher version number?
I really can't tell. In my portable testing version I don't get the same drop down from the button as the Installed version.
In the test version 1.16.4.32 in the portable I can't block domains I need to block.
There are many changes though, updated lists, added lists, deleted lists etc.
jeeze, I must still be drunk. I have edited this 7 times now and I still don't know if it's right.

The new version has the same drop down as the web-extension in FF 115.XX.
I'm still either drunk or confused????? pic 1 is the instelled. pic 2 is the portable.

Installed: [attachment=1]uBO 1.16.4.30.png [attachment=2]uBO 1.16.4.32.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-31, 20:02

It is probably worth noting that the new extensions likely don't target UXP proper, but rather the New Moon/Serpent stuff over at MSFN. They might not even have a way of testing it on our version of UXP, and some of the changes they made might not be 100% compatible with what we have anyway. That AstroSkipper guy did say in the thread that he had no interest in supporting applications that don't target XP, so it seems logical to assume he might be running XP himself and only testing on Roytam's fork of UXP.

From what I am gathering, it sounds like most of the updates are just updated filter lists, but functionally it does mostly the same thing as JustOff's version. And the few changes that aren't simple filter list updates, move it more towards being like the WebExtension version, which is probably not what we want.

It's too bad we don't have anyone to vet these changes and see which are useful/which aren't for our codebase. I think it puts us in an awkward position relying on a community that we don't historically get along well with for extension updates/modifications. Like, yes, it's good to see someone pick up an extension that was abandoned and try to maintain it, but they are primarily maintaining it for a Windows XP-centric fork of UXP that could diverge from our codebase in breaking ways at any time, and may have already done so.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

tpcsanh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by tpcsanh » 2024-01-31, 22:11

billmcct wrote:
2024-01-31, 16:08
I really can't tell. In my portable testing version I don't get the same drop down from the button as the Installed version.
uBlock Origin v1.16.4.30: clicking on "requests blocked" or "domains connected" will display the left hand side of the drop down. That may work in the new version.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-02-01, 00:01

athenian200 wrote:
2024-01-31, 20:02
That AstroSkipper guy did say in the thread that he had no interest in supporting applications that don't target XP, so it seems logical to assume he might be running XP himself and only testing on Roytam's fork of UXP.
Its release announcement mentions Pale Moon first (New Moon second). I'd focus on the positive aspect, not past/present disagreements about XP or whatever. I'm sure AstroSkipper knows that many people installing it will be Pale Moon users on Windows 10+ so it should be safe to assume it's being at the very least tested on this configuration.
athenian200 wrote:
2024-01-31, 20:02
...the few changes that aren't simple filter list updates, move it more towards being like the WebExtension version, which is probably not what we want.
Not sure what you mean here. I'm only seeing some sensible fixes and he seems to be very cautious about not clashing with the WebExtension features and relevant filiterlists. Since the Legacy version is no longer developed, it would make sense to take whatever improvements possible from the WebExtension, while maintaining compatibility.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-02-01, 02:57

back2themoon wrote:
2024-02-01, 00:01
Its release announcement mentions Pale Moon first (New Moon second). I'd focus on the positive aspect, not past/present disagreements about XP or whatever. I'm sure AstroSkipper knows that many people installing it will be Pale Moon users on Windows 10+ so it should be safe to assume it's being at the very least tested on this configuration.
Yeah, I am trying to focus on the positive aspect, but I happened to read the thread and see a lot of negativity from the author about Epyrus (and presumably UXP in general) due to us not supporting Windows XP. He has outright refused to support Epyrus or allow his add-on to work on it without modification, and that level of hostility towards our projects doesn't inspire much confidence in me that he will support Pale Moon itself long-term either (not that I can blame him for that given what community he is part of and where his interests lie). Because, he himself has said that projects that target Windows XP are his priority, which means... realistically, this add-on will likely be designed against a fork of UXP rather than our version of it. Pale Moon will be an afterthought, and Epyrus likely won't be supported at all.
Not sure what you mean here. I'm only seeing some sensible fixes and he seems to be very cautious about not clashing with the WebExtension features and relevant filiterlists. Since the Legacy version is no longer developed, it would make sense to take whatever improvements possible from the WebExtension, while maintaining compatibility.
Well, the thing I was concerned about is that it might use features from WebEx that we don't implement, creating a sort of XUL/WebEx frankenstein extension, and also that some of the interface changes from the WebEx version could actually be downgrades that "modernize" the UI in ways we wouldn't see as desirable. Especially since WebEx is a lot more locked down and limited than the XUL version was, a newer UI might not expose all the functionality of the original XUL version. I noticed billmcct said something about the modified extension having some stuff not work as he expects and having a UI more like the WebEx version, which is what put things over the edge and made me want to voice my concerns about where the add-on originated from.

None of this is to say you shouldn't use it or try to make it work (experimentation/debugging is only ever a good thing in my book), just be prepared for the possibility that it may eventually require changes to work on our version of UXP. I'm sure there are useful improvements in there, and I'm willing to give him kudos for that, but there is always the chance they could be mixed with stuff we wouldn't want, that people on the other site would want. It's sort of like how we had to be careful with extensions that come from newer Mozilla versions back in the day, I suppose.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

nicolaasjan
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nicolaasjan » 2024-02-01, 05:48

billmcct wrote:
2024-01-31, 16:08
ron_1 wrote:
2024-01-27, 21:24
So a question to those who have installed this new version of uBo: Does it work any better than JustOff's version? Or is the only difference a higher version number?
In the test version 1.16.4.32 in the portable I can't block domains I need to block.
There are many changes though, updated lists, added lists, deleted lists etc.
jeeze, I must still be drunk. I have edited this 7 times now and I still don't know if it's right.

The new version has the same drop down as the web-extension in FF 115.XX.
I'm still either drunk or confused????? pic 1 is the instelled. pic 2 is the portable.
The extension has no glitches here on Pale Moon.
Are you sure that - after uninstalling the previous version - you deleted ublock0.sqlite from the
extension-data sub-directory in the profile folder ?
(with Pale Moon closed)

Here is a screenshot from the drop down menu on gHacks.net:
screenshot_20240131.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64bit
Pale Moon latest

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-02-01, 09:42

Off-topic:
back2themoon wrote:
2024-02-01, 00:01
I'd focus on the positive aspect, not past/present disagreements about XP or whatever.
The thing is, that's hard to do when people just won't let things be in the past, keep bringing them back up, and are then vocally supported by others in doing so.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2024-02-01, 14:42

I'm not sure if I want this updated version (lack of trust). I thought I would test on a test copy of PM-portable, but can't download. I think it's because that site wants to show ads. Having to show ads to d/l an ad-blocker is stupid, and doesn't help with the trust issue.
astroskip-ublock.png
Win10home(1709), PM33.1.0-portable as of Apr 23, '24

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-02-01, 15:17

The file downloads normally even with an enabled adblocker. You must be doing something wrong, because that file is on Mediafire and your screenshot seems to imply you are failing to access something on your local machine. Not sure though. Just tried and download worked as intended.

Also, I'd stop being paranoid.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-02-01, 15:27

athenian200 wrote:
2024-02-01, 02:57
I noticed billmcct said something about the modified extension having some stuff not work as he expects and having a UI more like the WebEx version, which is what put things over the edge and made me want to voice my concerns about where the add-on originated from.
Yes, that post from billmcct is notoriously confusing. I kind of struggled to understand it. As mentioned by tpcsanh, the full, expanded UI is a mouse click away from billmcct's second screenshot. The UI is the same as JustOff's version.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2024-02-01, 15:35

Blocking stuff isn't wrong - that's what extensions like this are for. The download link is not a direct link to the file (the small print says it will show ads) so I can't do a normal save.

You can keep your insulting, condescending commentary to yourself (I won't see it anymore anyway).
Win10home(1709), PM33.1.0-portable as of Apr 23, '24

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2024-02-01, 15:43

I did not insult anyone, except perhaps your selective sensitivity. Your innocent little post however, clearly implied that:

1. For some unknown reason, you do not trust the one that worked on this and uploaded it for free for you to use.
2. It was kind of stupid to upload an adblocker to a website that blocks downloads (it doesn't but hey, who cares) when using an adblocker.
3. Furthermore, point 2 above does not help with the mysterious "trust issue" so you further implied there's something fishy about uploading it to MediaFire.

I wonder when people became so hypocritically sensitive. :?:

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2024-02-01, 16:59

From user ron_1's post where he mentions to update the online malicious url blocklist to use the code below

Code: Select all

https://malware-filter.gitlab.io/malware-filter/urlhaus-filter-online.txt
I followed his instructions and updated JustOff's old "30" version. Worked for me so for now, I do not need ASTROSKIPPER's new "31" version since I do not use Epyrus.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-02-01, 17:13

Night Wing wrote:
2024-02-01, 16:59
Worked for me so for now, I do not need ASTROSKIPPER's new "31" version since I do not use Epyrus.
Actually, his version doesn't support Epyrus either. UCyborg modified AstroSkipper's mod to work on Epyrus (which I'm especially grateful for since neither uBO itself nor AstroSkipper's mod support Epyrus), but AstroSkipper has no interest in supporting Epyrus.

I'm thinking AstroSkipper probably tried to address some long-standing issues with uBO, now that back2themoon has clarified to me that it has the same UI as JustOff's version and isn't a backported WebEx version. Though, if you're happy with the current version with updated filter lists, there's probably no reason to switch.

nicolaasjan
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nicolaasjan » 2024-02-01, 17:58

Night Wing wrote:
2024-02-01, 16:59
From user ron_1's post where he mentions to update the online malicious url blocklist to use the code below

I followed his instructions and updated JustOff's old "30" version. Worked for me so for now, I do not need ASTROSKIPPER's new "31" version since I do not use Epyrus.
Official uBO now uses:

https://malware-filter.gitlab.io/malware-filter/urlhaus-filter-ag-online.txt
See;
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/commit/402e2ebf57

This resource is now also used in @Astroskippers version.
There are also updated region specific lists.
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64bit
Pale Moon latest

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2024-02-01, 19:43

nicolaasjan wrote:
2024-02-01, 17:58

Official uBO now uses:

See;
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/commit/402e2ebf57

This resource is now also used in @Astroskippers version.
There are also updated region specific lists.
Thanks for the new coding. I updated my UBO "30" with the new code you provided.

I understand I cannot install "31" over "30" without going into my old profile and completely deleting everything which is associated with "30". Since I'm a non-technical user and not a power user, I think "IF" I go with 31, I will just make it EASIER on myself by making a completely NEW profile and installing 31.

Re-installing my Bookmarks, my Preferences for Pale Moon (which includes going into "about:config), installing 31 and the Zoom Label extension; should take me no more than 15 minutes of time.

But right now, I am still undecided about going to 31.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2024-02-01, 21:05

I read the link in nicolaasjan's post, but I don't quite follow. What's the difference between . . .

and . . .

and should I switch? The only difference I can see is that the one I wasn't aware of has "(Adguard)" on the first line, and all the blocked numbers have two vertical dashes in front of the numbers, and "$all" after the numbers, whereas the one I use doesn't.

Untitled.jpg