Does Shockwave Still Work With Pale Moon??

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

preziosestelle
New to the forum
New to the forum

Does Shockwave Still Work With Pale Moon??

Unread post by preziosestelle » 2024-01-17, 13:33

I am new here, so I hope I am in the right place. I looked in search but couldn't see much on this topic. I appologise if this has already been awnsered before. Some friends of mine would like to play some games on a website we found, but it requires Shockwave to work. So I decided to try to find ways to play these games so my friends can play them. But I can't seem to get Shockwave to be working on Pale Moon. Is the support of Shockwave ended for Pale Moon?? Again my appologies if this has been awnsered before (I couldn't find in search if it had or not) but any help would be very apprechiated thank you.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Does Shockwave Still Work With Pale Moon??

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-17, 13:44

It should still work on Windows. We haven't changed anything on our end regarding support for Shockwave, but there are a lot of issues emerging with NPAPI plugins on newer platforms in general.

For instance, on Linux, we have all kinds of issues with Flash player not working on newer glibc versions, particularly in combination with popular proprietary video card drivers like those for nVidia and AMD... still works on Intel and nouveau, though.

And on Mac, the Apple Silicon version of Pale Moon can't run plugins anyway because they were all written for x86_64, so plugins won't work.

In other words, our plugin support is becoming very iffy on newer platforms other than Windows on x86_64, and it is mostly due to changes on the platform's end that make them incompatible with how NPAPI works rather than anything we're doing.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2024-01-17, 13:54

Adobe discontinued Shockwave in 2019.
If you can still find an installer for the NPAPI plugin (e.g. named for Firefox because it supported that API), you can install it on Windows.
I dunno if it works in current Windows versions, give it a try in a virtual machine.

Pale Moon still supports NPAPI.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-01-17, 13:55

Pentium4User wrote:
2024-01-17, 13:54
I dunno if it works in current Windows versions, give it a try in a virtual machine.
I really don't think there are any problems with modern Windows support for NPAPI plugins. That's only an issue on other platforms in my experience. That's not to say it won't happen with Windows 12 or something, but at least for the moment all the ones I've tested still work on modern Windows.

EDIT: One detail I forgot to mention... you need a 32-bit version of Pale Moon for Windows. As far as I know, the Shockwave player is 32-bit only. They never ported it to 64-bit, and actually that is one of the reason why we still provide a 32-bit Windows build of Pale Moon. Not because a lot of people still use 32-bit hardware, but because people want to run 32-bit NPAPI plugins.

I just tested and Shockwave appears to work fine for me in a 32-bit version of Pale Moon on the latest version of Windows 10.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-17, 16:41

athenian200 wrote:
2024-01-17, 13:55
you need a 32-bit version of Pale Moon for Windows. As far as I know, the Shockwave player is 32-bit only. They never ported it to 64-bit, and actually that is one of the reason why we still provide a 32-bit Windows build of Pale Moon.
We build 32-bit for NPAPI primarily, and to a lesser degree for a (dwindlingly small number of) people who for some odd reason still run an x86 version of Windows.
It will go away eventually since it's more and more problematic to provide stable builds for it that perform reasonably well on the current state of the web.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-01-17, 19:09

Off-topic:
While the feeling of satisfaction I get by continuing to use my ageing Laptop 2 (see signature) I have never considered to be odd, I truly appreciate the efforts that have been made to release a 32 bit version of Pale Moon for Windows as long as practical and/or possible.
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

preziosestelle
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by preziosestelle » 2024-01-19, 13:22

Thank you guys so much for your responses. Sorry if this question seems dumb but how can you tell what version of Pale Moon that you have?? Like if it's 32 or 64??

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-01-19, 13:42

Help -> About Pale Moon
The about box has the bitness displayed
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

PseudoDistant
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by PseudoDistant » 2024-02-06, 20:26

I'm not having any issues with Adobe Flash Player on 64-bit Linux...
Eat your school.
Eat your drugs.
Eat your teeth.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-07, 03:36

PseudoDistant wrote:
2024-02-06, 20:26
I'm not having any issues with Adobe Flash Player on 64-bit Linux...
Shockwave isn't Flash, it's a separate plugin.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

PseudoDistant
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by PseudoDistant » 2024-02-07, 19:49

moonbat wrote:
2024-02-07, 03:36
Shockwave isn't Flash, it's a separate plugin.
Oh, my bad.
How would one even install Shockwave on Linux? I can't seem to find anything. (I had Flash left over from an old Firefox install, I don't think I've ever used Shockwave.)
Eat your school.
Eat your drugs.
Eat your teeth.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-02-08, 08:55

I don't know if it originally had Linux support, if it did there would be older installers for it. Then again no guarantee they will work. Shockwave was popular on the early web for heavy games and other content, but Flash seemed to have caught up to it for these features and surpassed it. Both were products of Macromedia corp, which Adobe later acquired.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX