get search engines list? Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

get search engines list?

Unread post by dchmelik » 2023-12-20, 05:23

Can one save their search engines list to a text file? I was told to create a new profile, but want to save those, and have almost 70!

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: get search engines list?

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-12-20, 06:21

I don't know about saving to a text file, but if you backup this folder and file, they should have all your search engine details and allow them to be copied to a new profile.

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\<default folder>\searchplugins\

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\<default folder>\search.json
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-12-21, 00:08

What suzyne said should cover it. The search-metadata.json file might also be relevant.

Not sure if you can restore the custom ordering of your search engines. Never figured that out and it usually never worked for me. I use the "Organize Search Engines" extension instead, which uses its own sorting/order.

dchmelik
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by dchmelik » 2023-12-30, 05:11

My profile is probably/apaprently corrupt (used on a newer then older then newer version of Pale Moon, which I thought was obvious why I need to create a new one) so I need to save the list without importing it, rather than completely re-entering it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-12-30, 09:31

The location suzyne indicated will hold custom searchplugin XML files (serialized by the browser) that don't contain anything odd (and if they do, the browser will sanitize them anyway) so that should cover the transfer. There's no real way to export this to a text file and then re-import it as that's not how the browser saves this data. It's stored as XML.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite