Scrollbar Search Marker position

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Scrollbar Search Marker position

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-11-23, 14:46

When Scrollbar Search Marker 1.1.1 is activated a space for the markers is created to the right of the scroll-bar. I would like the space to be created to the left of the scroll-bar instead, so that the scroll-bar remains flush against the edge of the display area, making it easy to locate the mouse pointer there by simply moving all the way to the right.

Would someone kindly help me with this customization?

adoxa
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Scrollbar Search Marker position

Unread post by adoxa » 2023-11-24, 23:56

I don't think that's feasible. The marker is separate to the content, to have it to the left of the scrollbar would mean (I think) that it would have to be part of the content, which is a whole other process. You could move the marker to the left side of the window, if that would be acceptable.

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-11-26, 03:17

I see. I suppose markers within the scroll bar like Firefox has is also out?

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-11-26, 03:36

adoxa wrote:
2023-11-24, 23:56
I don't think that's feasible. The marker is separate to the content, to have it to the left of the scrollbar would mean (I think) that it would have to be part of the content, which is a whole other process. You could move the marker to the left side of the window, if that would be acceptable.
Well, it depends on how it's implemented. I imagine you could, in theory, put it to the left of the scrollbar but have the content area even further to the left, sandwiching the markers between the scrollbar and the content area, and making the content area slightly narrower to accommodate this. I'm not sure if that's what the OP wants, though.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-11-26, 11:47

Navigator wrote:
2023-11-26, 03:17
I see. I suppose markers within the scroll bar like Firefox has is also out?
What if the content is short and there is no scroll bar?
There are many different things that can be done, but now it is done in the simplest way. Everything else requires more complexity. Is this complication worth the resulting effect?

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-11-28, 02:01

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-11-26, 11:47
What if the content is short and there is no scroll bar?
A trick question? All the matches are already on the screen and highlighted in that case.
Kris_88 wrote:
2023-11-26, 11:47
There are many different things that can be done, but now it is done in the simplest way. Everything else requires more complexity. Is this complication worth the resulting effect?
With the markers active I continually miss the scroll bar because I have trained my motor memory to slap the mouse to the right to hit the edge. It's a large enough usability problem that I will likely uninstall Scrollbar Search Marker soon if there is no workaround.

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-11-28, 02:04

athenian200 wrote:
2023-11-26, 03:36
I imagine you could, in theory, put it to the left of the scrollbar but have the content area even further to the left, sandwiching the markers between the scrollbar and the content area, and making the content area slightly narrower to accommodate this. I'm not sure if that's what the OP wants, though.
Yes, that's what I meant. I am surprised this doesn't bother anyone else. Putting GUI elements at the edge of the screen (active pointer area) is a well known technique for ease and speed of control. Anything that interferes with that is a major compromise.