Please unlock the NoScript thread

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Please unlock the NoScript thread

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-09, 03:07

fishyfool wrote:
2023-11-09, 02:01
NoScript really isn't understood, like a red headed foster child.
You have to approach it with the understanding that it breaks everything and that's by design.
The intended functionality isn't the problem. If you want to block everything and allow on a case-by-case basis and spend your time on that then that is entirely your choice to make.
It's the (assumed) unintended effects of the extension (due to the way it was programmed) that are the reason why it's unsupported and why I've had to put it on the blocklist at warning level despite the negative reception of that action.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-11-09, 08:59

fishyfool wrote:
2023-11-08, 21:40
I don't want someone else's whitelist.
Nobody else but you creates the whitelist. eMatrix blocks all third party content by default that isn't explicitly allowed..by you. It also supports subscriptions to auto-blacklist various third party tracking servers. After installing eMatrix, you have to explicitly configure it for each website you regularly visit. SInce all the big ones use 3rd party CDNs as separate domains, you have to explicitly allow scripts and media and whatever else from them and keep refreshing the page after each change to see that the page works.
fishyfool wrote:
I've been using noscript longer than I've been using PM.
Read what I said before, but slowly. NoScript is currently maintained...as a web extension for Firefox. Web Extensions are irrelevant to Pale Moon. The only version of NoScript that can be installed on Pale Moon is the pre-web extension one..which is about 6 years old at this point and very much unmaintained.
To wit:
We cannot update nor support NoScript 5.x and below anymore, because it was based on a completely different and now obsolete technology. However you can still find usage information and a FAQ section for those ancient versions in the NoScript Classic archived website.
fishyfool wrote:
Yes, it breaks stuff. Stuff I WANT broken. mostly CSS.
Trust me, you don't want it breaking browser internals. Which is what it does in addition to breaking websites which is what you're referring to.
fishyfool wrote:
Keep your sarcasm to yourself, thanks.
I see in your much vaunted 31 years of using the internet (around the same as me, so quit bragging) you've never observed or dealt with Mozilla's attitude towards any support for end users within the last decade, which is what the sarcasm was referring to. They just go on introducing breaking changes and don't care about any user feedback to the contrary.
fishyfool wrote:
2023-11-08, 21:48
Instead of telling people to not use it, maybe you should tell them HOW to use it.
31 years on the net and you've never heard of basic netiquette of searching forums or FAQs and demonstrating you have done so before asking questions?
When the thread about it was explicitly linked too :roll:
fishyfool wrote:
2023-11-08, 21:48
It's also nice to know how to inspect a page and disable elements you don't want running.
Back to uBlock Origin with its element picker that lets you select and create blocking rules on the fly.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

fishyfool
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by fishyfool » 2023-11-10, 13:48

Moonchild wrote:
2023-11-09, 03:07
fishyfool wrote:
2023-11-09, 02:01
NoScript really isn't understood, like a red headed foster child.
You have to approach it with the understanding that it breaks everything and that's by design.
The intended functionality isn't the problem. If you want to block everything and allow on a case-by-case basis and spend your time on that then that is entirely your choice to make.
It's the (assumed) unintended effects of the extension (due to the way it was programmed) that are the reason why it's unsupported and why I've had to put it on the blocklist at warning level despite the negative reception of that action.
I can make, with very little effort, NoScript do anything I want.
That's what you can't do apparently.
Understand there's a place for it and you don't need to run it every moment.
Use a browser profile without the addon active when needed.

fishyfool
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by fishyfool » 2023-11-10, 14:06

moonbat wrote:
2023-11-09, 08:59
Read what I said before, but slowly. NoScript is currently maintained...as a web extension for Firefox. Web Extensions are irrelevant to Pale Moon. The only version of NoScript that can be installed on Pale Moon is the pre-web extension one..which is about 6 years old at this point and [url=https://noscript.net/getit/#deprecated- ... c-versions]very much unmaintained
I accepted that in my earlier post.
Yes, 31 years and apparently you take exception to that. I read EVERYTHING posted here that was able to be found with a forum search.
In my younger years I'd battle you over it, but at this point I'll just say your opinion is your opinion.
I'll keep using PM and noscript, keep making is work for me and chalk your resistance up to ignorance of the abilities of the add on.
No I didn't say you were globally ignorant, just with this particular add on.

sounds like nMatrix/μMatrix is buggy
About this add-on

For advanced users only.
After installation, ηMatrix will break the majority of the websites you visit.
Think I'll stick with the devil I know.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2023-11-10, 14:40

fishyfool wrote:
2023-11-10, 14:06
sounds like nMatrix/μMatrix is buggy
About this add-on

For advanced users only.
After installation, ηMatrix will break the majority of the websites you visit.
Think I'll stick with the devil I know.
They both (ηMatrix & NoScript) "break" the majority of websites. The difference is that ηMatrix won't break the browser, like NoScript can. I speak from experience. Consider yourself lucky that NS hasn't messed up your profile, yet. Using uBlock Origin as an "advanced user" does for me everything I wanted NS to do. But that's me. Everybody makes their own choices.
Last edited by ron_1 on 2023-11-10, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-10, 14:41

fishyfool wrote:
2023-11-10, 13:48
I can make, with very little effort, NoScript do anything I want.
That's what you can't do apparently.
Don't make this somehow a personal attack.

In case it wasn't clear yet, i'll repeat with extra highlighting:
It's the (assumed) unintended effects of the extension (due to the way it was programmed) ...
You have no control over this behaviour in the extension. This has nothing to do with the rules to block or allow content on the web.

You're free to continue using it on Pale Moon at your own peril. But asking to somehow have a howto on this forum for it is absolutely missing the point in terms of choosing the right venue. First because we don't support its use, and second because the only applicable version that could even run on Pale Moon is completely unmaintained, and anything you're wanting to post for a WebExtension version of it won't apply here, since none of the UXP applications support WEs - i.e. you'd have no audience, and would be wasting your time. believe it or not, but this is actually helping you.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

fishyfool
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by fishyfool » 2023-11-10, 15:13

Moonchild wrote:
2023-11-10, 14:41
Don't make this somehow a personal attack.
Observation. I'm still running NoScript after over 10 years, possibly I've figured out some things you have not.
Another reason why I offered up what I have learned over the years.
It's painfully obvious that you personally don't like or can't use this particular addon be it from real or perceived shortcomings.
I can accept that.
Accept that I'm not you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-10, 17:33

fishyfool wrote:
2023-11-10, 15:13
It's painfully obvious that you personally don't like or can't use this particular addon
This probably comes as a shock for you but I don't care about NoScript. This isn't personal, but I guess you can't accept that since you keep yammering about my personal dislike or personal inability to use the extension. I know what it does, I know how to use it, and I've briefly used it myself in the past (I found it just wasn't a match for my research-heavy workflow). Once again I don't care about it existing or it matching or not matching anyone's use case.

I only care about it being harmful to end-users of Pale Moon as has been shown for years of dealing with people having corrupt profiles, issues using the web due to bad extension behaviour (not just the intended blocking), and all the way down to application crashes, odd and unspecified behaviour, lost work, and a disproportionate burden on people trying to provide support.

Accept that.