popup dictionary addon

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

mzoro
Moongazer
Moongazer

popup dictionary addon

Unread post by mzoro » 2023-11-05, 15:38

Hello,

I'm new to PM. I am switching from Firefox because it has become a big pig that opens at the very least 12 processes eating my PC CPU and memory, among other disgusting things.
After looking around, I think that PM is the only viable solution for those who don't want to depend on Google or Microsoft. So, I am digging in.
Unfortunately, while I am very satisfied with the look, the configurability and the speed of PM (among other things), it lacks very crucial add-ons in the official PM addons repository (and maybe they just don't exist for PM). I think that "crucial addons" are essential for the survival of this project. So, here are missing ones from my point of view:

1.The "print page to pdf" addon from the PM repo is important and does not work for me with PM 32.5.0 (32bits), despite it installs successfully. A very well working pdf convertor is very useful, even though it is possible to use a pdf printer (with variable success). Admittedly, the "save page as pdf" addon of the current Firefox browser works incredibly well. I think many would like to see here an equivalent addon for that. At the very least, could you provide a tweak to make the "print page to pdf" addon work?
link to img of print page topdf: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p4FVEL ... sp=sharing

2. I didn't find an addon to save a whole page as a single html file (I mean without the folders). Sure, there are the maff and mht formats, but they are outmoded and outdated, as almost no browser support them. On the contrary, the "singlefile" addon of Firefox does wonders. This is an important feature that is lacking for me. Do you have a solution for that ?

3. I can cope with the two previous missing features, but there is one addon I cannot live without (like many others I think): A dictionary that popup when a word is highlighted, to translate, e.g from French to English, English-English etc. This is not a translator like Google translate, this is only a dictionary with its own local word database (there are many free word databases on the web). When I used Firefox in the past, there were several such dictionary addons (so, there may exist a fork for PM). Could you help me with that ?
Without such a dictionary, I will be forced to return to the aforementioned big pig, which provides, e.g. the excellent Mate translate or Axon dictionaries.