add-on not installed becasue palemoon does not support webextentions???

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

FourthDr
Moongazer
Moongazer

add-on not installed becasue palemoon does not support webextentions???

Unread post by FourthDr » 2023-09-09, 12:22

Hi:

I was wondering if anyone else was having this strange issues installing xpi extensions that work fine on Firefox ESR 52.9.0. When I try to install the following extensions I received an error stating: "This add-on could not be installed because Palemoon does not support webextensions.". The thing is non of the extension I was trying to install are webextensions! See list below:

BehindTheOverlay{0.1.6}.xpi
WebmailAdBlocker{5.2.1}.xpi

There are probably others, but these two are the ones I was needing as I test out Palemoon. Let me know if there is something simple I can do to fix this problem. I know you can edit contents of the .xpi installer for some extension to get them working. I did a quick search of the forum but didn't find anything specific to these two extensions.

Thanks.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: add-on not installed becasue palemoon does not support webextentions???

Unread post by Falna » 2023-09-09, 14:55

FourthDr wrote:
2023-09-09, 12:22
Let me know if there is something simple I can do to fix this problem.
Find some compatible alternatives?

Dismiss The Overlay (from GitHub) should be good for the first.
I'm not familiar with the second, but UBlock or ηMatrix may be all you need (found here).
FourthDr wrote:
I know you can edit contents of the .xpi installer for some extension to get them working.
It's not a guaranteed fix, but you could try :)

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2023-09-09, 18:36

FourthDr wrote:
The thing is non of the extension I was trying to install are webextensions! See list below:

BehindTheOverlay{0.1.6}.xpi
WebmailAdBlocker{5.2.1}.xpi
And are you sure they aren't webextensions? FF came out with that crappy technology in 2017, and version 5.2 of webmail ad blocker came out in 2019. Webextensions will never work in Pale Moon. Have you looked at Pale Moon's add-on site?

https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2023-09-09, 19:32

They must be WebExtentions since both are listed and available at AMO.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-09-09, 20:35

Just because it has an "xpi" file extension doesn't mean it's not a WebExtension ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-09-09, 22:32

If you're looking for extensions, start with the Pale Moon addons site first rather than digging for long dead and abandoned Firefox ones. Several of the most popular ones have already been forked and ported for Pale Moon, or have equivalents.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

FourthDr
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by FourthDr » 2023-09-11, 06:56

Well, I'm pretty sure that the versions of the FF extensions I was trying to install are not webextensions. Since I am currently running them in Firefox 52.9.0 ESR which definitely doesn't support webextensions.

I did look through all the Palemoon extensions but didn't see anything that does what BehindTheOverlay{0.1.6}.xpi or WebmailAdBlocker{5.2.1}.xpi do. If any of these are listed on AMO they are much newer versions that actually are webextensions.

If I had to guess why Palemoon is thinking these are webextensions, I'd say it was because there isn't an install.rdf inside of the .xpi like most all of the other extension I currently have installed. Most probably the author of these extensions was in a transitional state. Therefore, Palemoon thinks they are webextensions. There may also be commented out code that doesn't run in FF 52.9.0 that is only a place holder for the next version which eventually became a webextension but not yet implemented. Or it could just be a bug in Palemoon's handling of some add-ons with newer code, but are not actually webextensions. I figured someone here would know the answer.

FourthDr
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by FourthDr » 2023-09-11, 07:11

Falna wrote:
2023-09-09, 14:55
FourthDr wrote:
Let me know if there is something simple I can do to fix this problem.
Find some compatible alternatives?

Dismiss The Overlay (from GitHub) should be good for the first.
I'm not familiar with the second, but UBlock or ηMatrix may be all you need (found here).
FourthDr wrote:
I know you can edit contents of the .xpi installer for some extension to get them working.
It's not a guaranteed fix, but you could try :)
I already have uBlock Origin installed because AdBlockPlus generates the same Palemoon doesn't support webextensions error. And that was with a slightly earlier version AdblockPlus-freeadblocker{3.6.3}.xpi. My currently installed version on FF is 3.12.

I had not heard of that other overlay blocker. I might give it a try. Thanks.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-09-11, 07:51

If I recall, at the 52.x timeframe FF was gradually implementing WE APIs and so extensions made during that time may have used whatever was partially implemented at the time. At any rate, you're better off first looking at the Pale Moon addons site since many of the popular FF ones have been forked or have similar replacements.
Off-topic:
This is also probably how Waterfox Classic was able to claim support for both XUL and web extensions; the latter implementation was incomplete and many contemporary FF extensions wouldn't work properly even if they could be installed.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-09-11, 08:51

FourthDr wrote:
2023-09-11, 06:56
Since I am currently running them in Firefox 52.9.0 ESR which definitely doesn't support webextensions.
WebExtension support (in its initial API iteration) was considered stable in Firefox 48, and most certainly available and enabled in Firefox 52 ESR.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2023-09-11, 12:49

FourthDr wrote:
2023-09-11, 06:56
If any of these are listed on AMO they are much newer versions that actually are webextensions.ions.
Here you go:

BehindTheOverlay
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
Version 0.1.6
Released Feb 11, 2018

WebmailAdBlocker
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
Version 5.2.1
Released Jul 9, 2019

Keep in mind that Mozilla removed all legacy extensions from their site!
All extensions they provide (even older versions) are WebExtensions.

You could check Classic Add-ons Archive from JustOff: https://github.com/JustOff/ca-
or https://ia803100.us.archive.org/view_ar ... or.org.tar
and see if you find what you are looking for.
Also keep in mind that these are unmaintained extensions and there is no guarantee that they will work as expected or at all.