Add aspect ratio extension Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

mestir999
Moongazer
Moongazer

Add aspect ratio extension

Unread post by mestir999 » 2023-07-22, 17:04

Hello, thank you very much for this wonderful awesome marvellous web browser !

Please I have a request: often the videos display large unpleasant black bars which spoil our viewing pleasure as in this video:

https://my.mail.ru/mail/chriss1339/vide ... ideoplayer

and even in many videos on youtube, there are wide black bands :(

I was able to bypass this problem by installing two mangific open source extensions that allow us to change the aspect ratio of videos and upscale or stretch any video on the web, to make it look great on ultrawide screens and it works perfectly even if in some rare cases, we have to disable hardware acceleration or choose D3D9 in the internal settings and flags of the web browser:

https://github.com/dvlden/ultrawideo

and this wonderful extension:

https://github.com/tamius-han/ultrawidify

Our dream is to be able to watch videos with our beloved Pale Moon web browser using these extensions in order to finally get rid of the horrible black bars in the videos that spoil our pleasure of viewing videos and we could even connect our computer to our large 40-inch TV via HDMI and thus enjoy comfortable viewing that occupies the entire screen !

we hope that these 2 capital save life extensions will be added to the Pale Moon extensions add ons store, thank you so much !
Last edited by mestir999 on 2023-07-22, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Add aspect ratio extension

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-07-22, 20:57

mestir999 wrote:
2023-07-22, 17:04
Hello, thank you very much for this wonderful awesome wonderful web browser !

Please I have a request: often the videos display large unpleasant black bars which spoil our viewing pleasure as in this video:

Just to pique my curiosity I copied your link, opened my Waterfox and Firefox browsers, did a Paste and Go in both of these browsers and the exact same black bars at the top and bottom of the video are there also.

I don't think this is a Pale Moon problem.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-07-22, 21:45

Night Wing wrote:
2023-07-22, 20:57
Not only is this not a Pale Moon problem, this is not a problem. Full stop.

The OP wants to zoom, or alter the aspect ratio of the original video (because they have something against black pixels) which of course would be the realm of an extension. That's why they asked if one existed.

mestir999
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mestir999 » 2023-07-22, 23:01

@BenFenner These extensions don't just do a simple zoom or nibble the top and bottom of the image, they use complex mechanisms and approaches, you can check their documentation and source code....

I recently watched dragon ball and I'm watching dragon ball z, it's a very old anime from the 80s so watching this anime in 4:3 format on our 16/9, 16/10 and 21/9 screens...., my viewing is altered by very large black bands on the right and left, sometimes we want to play old retro games crt tv and this kind of addons allows you to enjoy old games, I know this is not the problem of Pale Moon, it's my problem to love Pale Moon and prefer it to other browsers and I contacted the developer of one of these extensions who told me if there are more people who request a version for Pale Moon, he will make a version of his extension for Pale Moon, the problem is that I am at episode 230 of dragon ball z and I still see the black stripes and it's it's sad to me , so finally I decided to post my request on the Pale Moon forum and thank you for respecting my choice
Last edited by mestir999 on 2023-07-22, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

mestir999
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mestir999 » 2023-07-22, 23:13

Night Wing wrote:
2023-07-22, 20:57
mestir999 wrote:
2023-07-22, 17:04
Hello, thank you very much for this wonderful awesome wonderful web browser !

Just to pique my curiosity I copied your link, opened my Waterfox and Firefox browsers, did a Paste and Go in both of these browsers and the exact same black bars at the top and bottom of the video are there also.

Hello, Night Wing, I'm not sure I well understand, when you copied my link in firefox, did you activate the ultrawideo extension with the upscale option then the stretch option? if you still see the black bands, then either you have a problem with your graphics card and drivers, or you have to read the documentation, you have to choose the D3D9 graphics rendering in about: config and disable hardware acceleration, check if the "pause" option of ultrawideo is not activated, I haven't changed anything from the default values of firefox and I'm now even watching this video without black bars in firefox, but I still prefer to watch this video in Pale Moon hence my request , thank you

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-07-22, 23:17

mestir999 wrote:
2023-07-22, 23:01
don't just do a simple zoom or nibble the top and bottom of the image, they use complex mechanisms and approaches, you can check their documentation and source code....
I did.
It offers 2 modes, neither is complex nor advanced.
"upscale" will simply enlarge the video and lose video in the direction filling the frame resulting in a cropped image (= "simple zoom and nibble the top and bottom of the image").
"stretch" will simply stretch the video to fill the frame, resulting in severe image distortion (wrong aspect ratio).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mestir999
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mestir999 » 2023-07-22, 23:53

Yes Mr Moonchild, it's very interesting to compare these 2 extensions, personally I prefer Ultrawideo to Ultrawidify because ultrawideo operations are less complex than Ultrawidify operations and therefore ultrawideo uses less cpu power, and the battery saved and the fans do not spin and ultrawideo does not use an aspect ratio checking process in the background, I have checked this with the developer, because even if Ultrawidify offers more complex options and functionality than ultrawideo, the auto detection in the background can consume much more power even if we can manually adjust the frequency of the aspect ratio check....

Ultrawidify has many and many very complex features including:

Crop video to fit screen (no stretching. Supported aspect ratios: 21/9 (1:2.39), 16:9, 16:10. It's possible to set additional aspect ratios, but settings GUI currently contains some mildly annoying bugs)
Automatic aspect ratio detection (can be enabled/disabled entirely or on a per-site basis, separately of the extension. May not work on sites utilizing DRM schemes, such as Netflix et. al.). Autodetection in action: youtube)
Supports Youtube theater mode
[EXPERIMENTAL!] Stretch video to fit the screen
[EXPERIMENTAL!] custom zooming and panning

when I said ultrawideo and Ultrawidify are complex, it's in the sense that they bring new and original options and detect the videos and change the aspect ratio correctly according to our desires, I tried the iptv channels and downloaded videos in 4/3 format and in other formats and I can assure you that despite that I tried several aspect ratio settings, zoom....in vlc player and potplayer....I did not success to upscale correctly the video and erase the black bands , except when I activated complex parameters or I modify manually by putting numbers in potplayer or special shortcut difficult to find in vlc ....

so complex in the ultrawideo and ultrawidify, it's in the sense that they save us from all these troubles and waste of time in addition we no longer need to download the videos and open them with potplayer or vlc player to manipulate aspect ratio and remove the black bars....

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-07-23, 00:12

Thinking outside the box of add-ons and browsers, a different approach to solve this problem which doesn't require either losing part of the image, or distortion (both of which I cannot imagine doing for a show that I love) is to get a screen with a ratio closer to (or maybe even equal) to 4:3.

I imagine there are closets full of still working old LCD flat screens with ratios that are better suited to watching old TV shows, and you could possibly do someone a favour by giving some old technology a new home as a second display?
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

mestir999
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mestir999 » 2023-07-23, 00:33

Thank you for the suggestion Mrs Suzyne, I have a very good samsung screen but it works for a fixed computer which broke down but the screen still works....

in fact I am approaching the end of dragon ball z so I would no longer have to support the black bands and the videos on my favorite streaming sites are recent and in 16/9 format and I no longer see black bands and I thought I would never see black bands again in my life on my favorite streaming site because I watch very recent videos that's why I am so surprised that this recent "link click" animie is with black bands which prompted me to make this request....

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-07-23, 00:52

Moonchild wrote:
2023-07-22, 23:17
mestir999 wrote:
2023-07-22, 23:01
don't just do a simple zoom or nibble the top and bottom of the image, they use complex mechanisms and approaches, you can check their documentation and source code....
I did.
It offers 2 modes, neither is complex nor advanced.
"upscale" will simply enlarge the video and lose video in the direction filling the frame resulting in a cropped image (= "simple zoom and nibble the top and bottom of the image").
"stretch" will simply stretch the video to fill the frame, resulting in severe image distortion (wrong aspect ratio).
Thank you for saying it so I don't have to!

OP makes it sound like these extensions are doing seam carving (and the reverse) or something exotic to adjust the aspect ratio without altering the shape of the content. Of course they aren't. They are expanding and cropping the image as we all knew they were.

OP is the reason "full screen" DVDs exist. Why must we suffer this?

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-07-23, 00:56

mestir999 wrote:
2023-07-23, 00:33
in fact I am approaching the end of dragon ball z so I would no longer have to support the black bands and the videos on my favorite streaming sites are recent and in 16/9 format and I no longer see black bands and I thought I would never see black bands again in my life
You're going to lose it when you find out cinema houses moved on from 16:9 over a decade ago. What is your problem with correct aspect ratios?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-07-23, 04:40

BenFenner wrote:
2023-07-23, 00:56
What is your problem with correct aspect ratios?
For that matter, what is the problem with letterboxing/pillarboxing? If you properly darken a room, black mattes won't detract from the image you're watching. I'd call that objectively better than distorting the image :P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mestir999
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mestir999 » 2023-07-23, 11:19

BenFenner wrote:
2023-07-23, 00:56
mestir999 wrote:
2023-07-23, 00:33
in fact I am approaching the end of dragon ball z so I would no longer have to support the black bands and the videos on my favorite streaming sites are recent and in 16/9 format and I no longer see black bands and I thought I would never see black bands again in my life
You're going to lose it when you find out cinema houses moved on from 16:9 over a decade ago. What is your problem with correct aspect ratios?
Mr BenFenner, the last time I went to the cinema was 17 years ago and it was at the festival of my city in the old fort of my city and I do not like to watch while other unknown people are next to me and I feel uncomfortable more and more the cinema broadcasts more and more scenes of nudity indecency vulgarity so I never go to the cinema, on my computer with internet I have millions of films, programs, TV series....so I don't need to go to the cinema, the only problem is my tv broke down and I watch the videos with my 14 inch notebook, 14 inches isn't a lot and if there are also large black stripes, it's not very fun lol

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-07-26, 18:09

You missed my point entirely. Your display of choice is 16:9 but there was only a small window of ~12 years where original content destined for the cinema was produced in that aspect ratio and we are way past that time by now. So anything made in the last decade that we call a "movie" won't fit properly on your display either. So your surfing is not behind you, sad to say.

Would you be happier if the letter/pillar boxes were white? I assume you just don't like black pixels for some reason?

What do you do when you're watching a kids educational program or similar and you're asked to identify the circle on screen versus the oval? I guess you just don't?

mestir999
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mestir999 » 2023-07-29, 18:34

I'm arab so I never watch such kids educational program, we don't have the same mentality as the west but thank you for this interesting information