POP Email Client Add-on?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

POP Email Client Add-on?

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-07-06, 01:26

I am impressed with how well FireFTP works even though it is no longer updated, as a client it just about meets all my FTP needs.

I don't know if this is too outrageous an idea, but has anyone ever made a simple POP email client as an add-on?

Before anyone asks, "But why?" I am simply curious if it is possible, and it does sound like a cool idea, to me anyway.
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: POP Email Client Add-on?

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2023-07-06, 02:12

I'm not aware of any extensions that work as POP clients, but there is the Epyrus email client which is based on the same UXP platform that Pale Moon is based on. More info about that is available on the Epyrus home page and forum.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-07-06, 07:13

Back when Mozilla actually had an application platform (which is what UXP is forked from), Firefox and Thunderbird were poster child examples of what all could be achieved. Since Thunderbird was already a full fledged email client and Seamonkey integrated a browser and a mail client, it would be totally pointless for anyone to duplicate effort with an extension. The most you'll find are new email notifiers for GMail and other providers (which won't work anymore thanks to the switch to OAuth).

You can find a list of other XUL based standalone software here, most of which are long since abandoned now.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-07-06, 09:49

I believe there is the SimpleMail extension that would do something like that, but I'm not sure what protocols it supports - might be IMAP only?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Marcus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Marcus » 2023-07-06, 11:31

I understand the OP is referring specifically to browser level.
But the only mail add-on that I know of that does what it says on the tin and doesn't try to emulate a full fledged client like Thunderbird is a Xfce panel plugin:
https://docs.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfc ... ugin/start

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2023-07-06, 21:38

Moonchild wrote:
2023-07-06, 09:49
I believe there is the SimpleMail extension that would do something like that, but I'm not sure what protocols it supports - might be IMAP only?
Thank you for the tip! I only said POP because I thought that would make it easier to find an email add-on. I found Simple Mail here and it has POP3 and IMAP which is cool.

caa:addon/5593

I am using it right now and finding it (with help of a name!) shows there are some powerful add-ons to be found in the archive, which have been forgotten by many. The fact that it exists is also a tribute to developers who don't think it is totally pointless to make something that duplicates other software, possibly because of what they may learn by doing so or simply because they can.

Even though the last update was 2016, it installed fine in Pale Moon and connected to my email account first time without having to experiment with the settings, Right now, I am one delighted Simple Mail and Pale Moon user.

Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.