Pale Moon and TTS Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

jjwalt

Pale Moon and TTS

Unread post by jjwalt » 2023-04-30, 15:45

Hi. New here. So, got that out of the way.

I'm a writer that is developing a text editor for direct to ebook conversion. The editor is based on Mozilla editor. One thing I've done is created a menu that hides until needed. When I write I want to see nothing but my text. For that Pale Moon and its versatile header settings is perfect. When I write I see only a blank black desktop and my editor with two tiny words at the top— Pale Moon. Awesome.

To the point. I'm looking for a text-to-speech application that can read my editor back to me. This is an effective way to hear my mistakes.

The problem. None of the TTS applications I've tried will read editable text. My words are silent. Oh, they read the Pale Moon at the top, but then nothing. Why do TTS apps not read text in a text box?

The request. Is there a TTS plug-in for Pale Moon? My editor saves the body content as a web page. It's more steps to proof, but I'll go there if I can keep it in the Pale Moon environment.

Thanks for your interest in my issue. All be well.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Pale Moon and TTS

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-05-01, 03:25

Pale Moon doesn't ship with accessibility features and screen reader support as these have performance issues. So it isn't going to work with any screen reader TTS applications and it is recommended to use a different browser if one can't do without these features.
For ebook editing/conversion, Calibre may have what you're looking for.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-05-01, 03:30

Pale Moon does natively support speech synthesis using the Web Speech API, at least, on Windows, as of v32.1.0. There's a live example here demonstrating the said feature and relevant code.

jjwalt

Unread post by jjwalt » 2023-05-02, 02:01

moonbat wrote:
2023-05-01, 03:25
For ebook editing/conversion, Calibre may have what you're looking for.
Thanks. I'll look into it. There is a certain security in developing my own, as well as have a custom interface, but Calibre might be a faster end.

jjwalt

Unread post by jjwalt » 2023-05-02, 02:03

FranklinDM wrote:
2023-05-01, 03:30
There's a live example here demonstrating the said feature and relevant code.
This was absolutely invaluable. I have it working on the home server. If I can embed it in my editor it will be just what I wanted. Thanks.