Extension to always force whitelisted cookies to be saved when all others are deleted?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

carpet
Moon lover
Moon lover

Extension to always force whitelisted cookies to be saved when all others are deleted?

Unread post by carpet » 2023-04-16, 18:43

Is there an extension or any other way to make PM always keep cookies for a whitelist of websites that I specify even when all other cookies get deleted? That is, it would override any clearing of cookies done by PM itself or other cookie extensions. I really only need it for one thing which is viewing images at Wikipedia where they shove that horrible shitty "Media Viewer" down your throat, but you can disable it as long as the cookie's stored. The last time something was so deeply and violenty triggering it made me want to punch the programmers it was the Microsoft paper clip :(

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Extension to always force whitelisted cookies to be saved when all others are deleted?

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2023-04-16, 19:20

Not sure if it matches your requirements but I use JustOff's Cookie Exterminator https://github.com/JustOff/cookies-exterminator which has a white list and grey list as shown in the screenshot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Extension to always force whitelisted cookies to be saved when all others are deleted?

Unread post by vannilla » 2023-04-16, 19:27

eMatrix can do that, but it also comes with a lot of additional blocking and that might not be your thing.
Your mileage may vary.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-04-16, 19:44

Look at the about:permissions page. You may not need an extension.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-04-16, 20:32

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-04-16, 19:44
about:permissions page
Easy to access from the application menu, by the way ;)
("Permissions")
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-04-16, 21:02

Moonchild wrote:
2023-04-16, 20:32
("Permissions")
indeed...

carpet
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by carpet » 2023-04-17, 22:43

OK thanks everyone. I never knew about Permissions and it has already relieved staggering headaches by letting me block videos on various sites although sadly it turns out it's not going to help with the Wikipedia' Media Viewer because it ignores your choice even with cookies intact. It just seemed like something that'd be a matter of a preference saved in a cookie but apparently it's not that simple so I'm giving them what-for over at their forum.

carpet
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by carpet » 2023-04-20, 21:49

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
2023-04-16, 19:20
Not sure if it matches your requirements but I use JustOff's Cookie Exterminator https://github.com/JustOff/cookies-exterminator which has a white list and grey list as shown in the screenshot
Doesn't work. A whitelist should solve the problem but it's not. I have Wikipedia in the whitelist and the indicator's green but the site behaves as though it's not whitelisted. I tried it on a 100% fresh untouched profile.

carpet
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by carpet » 2023-04-20, 22:14

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-04-16, 19:44
Look at the about:permissions page. You may not need an extension.
Doesn't work. Just to be sure, what exactly are you referring to at about:permissions? For the site in question I tried "Store Cookies and Site Data" > "Allow". Don't know what else it could be. But what does "Allow" mean? Does it mean "keep when all the other cookies are deleted"? Because that's what I would need given that I have other things set to delete cookies i.e. Preferences > Privacy > "Use custom settings for history" > "Keep until I close Pale Moon" (with everything else set to accept cookies). This was on a fresh profile with no extensions. I asked at Wikipedia and someone said my browser must be aggressively deleting cookies but wouldn't "Allow" prevent that? Or if not, then whitelisting in Cookies Exterminator?

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-04-21, 00:00

carpet wrote:
2023-04-20, 22:14
But what does "Allow" mean? Does it mean "keep when all the other cookies are deleted"?
1) select "All sites" in the list and set the default permissions for all sites. (disable cookies)
2) select the site in question and override the defaults (enable cookies).

But actually you have not described the problem. What exactly does not work for you, how it should work in your opinion, give a link to the page for example, and so on... Why are you sure that the problem is in cookies? What task do you solve?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-04-21, 00:57

I use Cookie Masters; all one has to do is disable all cookies in Pale Moon preferences and then allow them individually for sites in your cookie blocker extension.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2023-04-21, 05:41

You could try CookieKeeper which is a fork of CookieCuller. I'm not sure it meets your requirement of "override any clearing of cookies done by PM itself or other cookie extensions" though because I let the extension handle all of my clearing. Should be easy enough to test though.