MoonGestures doesn't work after last palemoon update Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

purpleleaf
Moongazer
Moongazer

MoonGestures doesn't work after last palemoon update

Unread post by purpleleaf » 2023-03-28, 10:12

As in subject, after last palemoon update (version 32.1.0), moongesture stopped working.
Trying some gestures, the status bar shows 'unknown gesture'.
Opening palemoon displays two error consoles, showing the same errors.

Opening the monngestures preferences show this error:

Code: Select all

Errore interpretazione XML: entità non definita
Indirizzo: chrome://firegestures/content/prefs.xul
Riga numero 29, colonna 5:				<checkbox id="mousegesture" label="&mouseGesture;"
--------------------------------^
Translations from italian is:

XML Interprettion error: not defined entity
address: chrome://firegestures/content/prefs.xul
row number 29, column 5: <checkbox id="mousegesture" label="&mouseGesture;"

furthermore opening palemoon shows two error consoles (both with the same content), with a bunch of errors.
The last one, referring to mongestures is:
Data e ora: 28/03/2023 12:07:32

Errore:  [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIStringBundle.GetStringFromName]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: jar:file:///home/max/.moonchild%20productions/pale%20moon/fm8za29d.default/extensions/%7Ba4255263-569a-4ae7-9a5f-978e882cbe76%7D.xpi!/components/xdGestureService.js :: FGS_getLocaleString :: line 197"  data: no]
disabling the extension solves the console errors problem.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: MoonGestures doesn't work after last palemoon update

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-28, 23:12

You'll have to contact the extension author to fix it, or hope someone here can troubleshoot the extension; either way it isn't the browser's fault that an old extension stopped working.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

purpleleaf
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by purpleleaf » 2023-03-30, 17:41

moonbat wrote:
2023-03-28, 23:12
You'll have to contact the extension author to fix it, or hope someone here can troubleshoot the extension; either way it isn't the browser's fault that an old extension stopped working.
I should have done so already, but on the extension page only the developer name is reported.
Could you suggest some way to contact him?

Many thanks

ps, anyway, the extension is not old at all, it was updated on january 31 ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-30, 18:07

By the looks of it this is a problem with the extension's locale (undefined localized string). i.e.: they may have updated the extension but forgot to update all the localized strings.
This would be unrelated to any Pale Moon updates, though, and would have been present for a longer time (unless the extension was updated at the same time?)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

purpleleaf
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by purpleleaf » 2023-03-30, 19:11

Moonchild wrote:
2023-03-30, 18:07
By the looks of it this is a problem with the extension's locale (undefined localized string). i.e.: they may have updated the extension but forgot to update all the localized strings.
This would be unrelated to any Pale Moon updates, though, and would have been present for a longer time (unless the extension was updated at the same time?)
I was using the italian language, and i installed the lang pack just after the last palemoon update, so i removed the lang pack and now i'm using the english version of palemoon but the problem persists.
Furthermore this issue appears after the last palemoon update and the last extension update was on january 31, as I reported in my previous post.
I tried also to install some previous versions of palemoon, but the problem is still there.
I will try to start a new profile and will post the result soon.

purpleleaf
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by purpleleaf » 2023-03-30, 19:41

Solved.
on my arch installation there was a palemoon-i18n-common package referring to palemoon version 29.02
I removed that package and now all works.
I wonder only what caused this problem just now.....

Artisticum_235

Unread post by Artisticum_235 » 2023-07-07, 14:30

purpleleaf wrote:
2023-03-28, 10:12
As in subject, after last palemoon update (version 32.1.0), moongesture stopped working.
Trying some gestures, the status bar shows 'unknown gesture'.
Opening palemoon displays two error consoles, showing the same errors.

Opening the monngestures preferences show this error:

Errore interpretazione XML: entità non definita
Indirizzo: chrome://firegestures/content/prefs.xul
Riga numero 29, colonna 5:				<checkbox id="mousegesture" label="&mouseGesture;"
--------------------------------^
Translations from italian is:

XML Interprettion error: not defined entity
address: chrome://firegestures/content/prefs.xul
row number 29, column 5: <checkbox id="mousegesture" label="&mouseGesture;"

furthermore opening palemoon shows two error consoles (both with the same content), with a bunch of errors.
The last one, referring to mongestures is:
Data e ora: 28/03/2023 12:07:32

Errore:  [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIStringBundle.GetStringFromName]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: jar:file:///home/max/.moonchild%20productions/pale%20moon/fm8za29d.default/extensions/%7Ba4255263-569a-4ae7-9a5f-978e882cbe76%7D.xpi!/components/xdGestureService.js :: FGS_getLocaleString :: line 197"  data: no]
disabling the extension solves the console errors problem.
HI! :)

I have a similar problem as described above, except that the error notification is slightly different. Here is what appears each time I click on the extension's "Options" button:
Erreur d'analyse XML : entité non définie
Emplacement : chrome://firegestures/content/prefs.xul
Numéro de ligne 281, Colonne 2 : <prefpane id="swipePane" label="&swipePane;" flex="1">
--------^
The result is that I can't access to the extensions' options, which is unfortunate.

1. The page of the extension: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/moongestures/

2. My config: Windows 10 22H2, mac mini 2018 (Intel i7 8700b), 16 Go RAM, PM 32.2.1

My questions are:
1. Could I modify the extension itself (editing the install.rdf following your instructions)?

2. My real goal is to replace "Grab and Drag", which is buggy. It seems that the extension we talk about (Moon Gesture) have an option called "Swipe" which looks similar... or not?
The ideal extension would be: "ScrollAnywhere", alas, it doesn't work with PM, being a freaking web extension /:

Do you know any other extension allowing the "swipe" gesture (scrolling like on an iphone, but with the left button of the mouse), and fully compatible with PM, that could replace both extensions cited above ?

Thank you a LOT in advance for any answer! :thumbup:
My conf: mac mini 8.1, core i7 8700b (6 cores + HT) 16 go RAM, OSes: Windows 10 22h2, macOS Mojave 10.14.6, Fedora 38 KDE edition.

rthxch
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by rthxch » 2023-09-18, 13:23

Problem solved!
Palemoon v32.4.0.1
MoonGestures 1.13.0

I also had the error (German):

XML-Verarbeitungsfehler: Nicht-definierte Entität
Adresse: chrome://firegestures/content/prefs.xul
Zeile Nr. 325, Spalte 4:			<checkbox id="swipetimeout" label="&swipe.continuous;"
------------------------^
But as the error message says, Non-defined entity. This is missing in the German prefs.dtd, as a comparison with the English one shows.

Solution (German for me):
Just add the missing entity in the .xpi. For me in:

/chrome/locale/en/firegestures/prefs.dtd

Artisticum_235

Unread post by Artisticum_235 » 2023-09-24, 23:30

rthxch wrote:
2023-09-18, 13:23
Problem solved!
Palemoon v32.4.0.1
MoonGestures 1.13.0

I also had the error (German):

XML-Verarbeitungsfehler: Nicht-definierte Entität
Adresse: chrome://firegestures/content/prefs.xul
Zeile Nr. 325, Spalte 4:			<checkbox id="swipetimeout" label="&swipe.continuous;"
------------------------^
But as the error message says, Non-defined entity. This is missing in the German prefs.dtd, as a comparison with the English one shows.

Solution (German for me):
Just add the missing entity in the .xpi. For me in:

/chrome/locale/en/firegestures/prefs.dtd
Oooops! Forgot to keep on coming back regularly to see if there could be any kind of answer / tip / solution... Thank you so much, your compare/edit is exactly what was needed to make the ext work! :thumbup: SOLVED for me.
My conf: mac mini 8.1, core i7 8700b (6 cores + HT) 16 go RAM, OSes: Windows 10 22h2, macOS Mojave 10.14.6, Fedora 38 KDE edition.