Multifox as browse containers and its usage

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Multifox as browse containers and its usage

Unread post by dapgo » 2023-03-10, 08:35

I am a user multi-containers for modern Firefox, luckily legacy Firefox has a XUL extension that also can "isolate" cookies and browsing.

I would like to see how others are using and managing this extension because maybe I can learn better practises to increase productivity

At the moment:
  • I have multifox v3.2.3
  • I miss icons for containers
  • I miss a way to identify containers from open tabs

Also I am receiving an error in several pages:"this page might not work with Multifox profile because it uses a feature not supported (indexedDB)"
"

More info: https://web.archive.org/web/20160702052732/https://getmultifox.com/

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Multifox as browse containers and its usage

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-10, 10:26

I use another old one called Priv8, also on CAA. Multifox was too buggy for me. Bear in mind that both these extensions are abandoned by their original authors, so you'll have to fix them on your own. I've been trying with a fork of Priv8 offering a better UI that uses dialogs instead of a stupid XUL tab as became the fashion with Firefox copying Chrome.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2023-03-13, 07:52

moonbat wrote:
2023-03-10, 10:26
I use another old one called Priv8, also on CAA. Multifox was too buggy for me. Bear in mind that both these extensions are abandoned by their original authors, so you'll have to fix them on your own. I've been trying with a fork of Priv8 offering a better UI that uses dialogs instead of a stupid XUL tab as became the fashion with Firefox copying Chrome.
Thanks
your info is very worth.
I am seeing that the priv8 has only one container called "default".

" Each sandbox is a completely separated world: "

I don't know if it is possible to create additional ones because i really think sharing containers is useful too.

What is the name of this priv8 fork?
Last edited by dapgo on 2023-03-13, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-13, 08:01

dapgo wrote:
2023-03-13, 07:52
I haven't published it, it's unfinished. If you're using priv8, you can create additional containers aka sandboxes from the toolbar button.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2023-03-13, 08:16

moonbat wrote:
2023-03-13, 08:01
dapgo wrote:
2023-03-13, 07:52
I haven't published it, it's unfinished. If you're using priv8, you can create additional containers aka sandboxes from the toolbar button.
I am a bit sleepy and I was not to able to see the icon at the end of the toolbar.
BTW i also found a review of this addon
https://www.ghacks.net/2014/12/16/priv8 ... o-firefox/

It is great that you are improving this addon, and I hope you will support it (issues, suggestions,..) later ;)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-13, 08:21

dapgo wrote:
2023-03-13, 08:16
It is great that you are improving this addon, and I hope you will support it (issues, suggestions,..) later
Don't know if I can complete it, my changes to it were quite ambitious. I've replaced the preferences with a XUL dialog instead of the 'do everything in a tab' that became fashionable after Chrome introduced it, and am trying to integrate it with the UI everywhere, even the bookmark manager. Meanwhile some of the features that were made for multi process Firefox don't play properly here and am at my wit's end.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-03-13, 10:40

Like OP dapgo I was intrigued by moonbat's mention of Priv8... and also found Martin Brinkmann's December 2014 Ghacks article.

Unusually, couldn't find any saved snapshots of the original Addons Mozilla (AMO) pages for Priv8 via WayBackMachine (WBM)... thus, unable to see any user's comments as the extension was improved/updated/fixed over time. However, there's a copy of developer Andrea Marchesini's 'About this Add-on' info on Priv8's Classic Add-ons Archive (CAA) page and the same in the 'Readme' on his GitHub page for Priv8: https://github.com/bakulf/priv8#readme

Priv8 'About this Add-on' on CCA page.jpg
Priv8 'About this Add-on' info - as saved on the CCA archive page

Downloaded a copy of latest Priv8 version (priv8-0.2.3-fx.xpi) from CAA archive and loaded it onto a clean Pale Moon test profile.
(Note: AFAICS Pale Moon may need to be restarted before the Priv8 toolbar button appears at far RH end of the Navigation Bar?)

Investigating Priv8 with care... the extension still appears to work, although IMO it has a somewhat ungainly UI and non-intuitive control 'Priv8 manager' tab... as moonbat notes above. Only testing on a separate profile at present! :think:

Priv8 showing red sandboxed page.jpg
Priv8 showing a red tab title and red outline on a sandboxed tab
dapgo wrote: I am seeing that the priv8 has only one container called "default".
" Each sandbox is a completely separated world: "
I don't know if it is possible to create additional ones because i really think sharing containers is useful too.
AFAICS 'default' in Priv8 refers to having a webpage open in, or returned to, your normal Pale Moon profile with no sandbox.

Multiple sandboxed containers can be opened in Priv8, each using a separate name and colour scheme. Can then open multiple webpages inside a chosen container by opening a new webpage then right-click and choose which sandbox container you wish to use from the 'Priv8!' options at top of right-click menu list? Can also return a 'sandboxed' webpage to 'default' un-sandboxed Pale Moon via the same right-click options. Martin Brinkmann's Priv8 user-instructions in his Ghacks article are the best available. :thumbup:

Priv8 sandbox containers seem pretty flexible... if not very 'pretty' in ergonomic terms Re: the UI... toolbar button, 'Priv8 manager' and its 'Settings' tab? IMHO the early 2014 Priv8 'Settings' page shown in Ghacks article looked better? :)

Two sandbox containers open in Priv8.jpg
Priv8 manager 'Settings' tab showing 2 x sandbox containers setup named 'ONE' & 'TWO'.
The 'Create a new sandbox' button is visible at the bottom of the Settings tab.