Adblock latitude status ?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Adblock latitude status ?

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2023-03-02, 22:57

On an Italian Ubuntu forum (where unfortunately there are lots of mainstream browser users and very few Pale Moon users) there was a message saying that AdblockPlus is becoming payware. Is it true, and does it have any implication on Adblock Latitude ?

PS
I searched whether there was any open thread dedicated to ABL, but it looks they are all locked.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Adblock latitude status ?

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-02, 23:21

It wouldn't, since ABL is a separate fork. AFAIK it isn't even dependent on upstream patches the way Pale Moon is for security fixes. PM being a stable platform there's no reason for incessant updates either.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-03, 00:38

Payware? Hah I wonder how that will go since the extension is actually FOSS licensed. Won't stop anyone from just forking it and keeping it free, especially since any modified code in the payware version will also have to be published unless it's something written brand new from scratch. Otherwise they are in violation of the license.

(and no it won't matter to ABL)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

kreemoweet

Unread post by kreemoweet » 2023-03-03, 04:19

There's no truth to this rumor. ABP introduced a "premium" version a few months ago, an optional upgrade with enhanced features:
https://blog.adblockplus.org/blog/intro ... us-premium .
The usual adblocking functions are, and will remain, without charge.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-03-04, 17:30

µBlock already has these enhanced features. It amazes me that someone would pay for this, just as it amazes me that some pay to stream restricted film or music over downloading for free. How can these firms survive selling something freely available?
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.