Tab Mix Plus compatibility Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Shedder

Tab Mix Plus compatibility

Unread post by Shedder » 2023-02-22, 19:37

Operating system: Windows 10
Browser version: V32.0.0
32-bit or 64-bit browser?: 64-bit
Problem URL:
Browser theme (if not default):
Installed add-ons: Tab Mix Plus
Installed plugins: (about:plugins):

As a keen user of PaleMoon and of its compatibility with the Tab Mix Plus add on, which I have been using for a long time, I had a bit of a dilemma when I installed V32.0.0 recently. It appears that something is no longer compatible with the Tab Mix Plus add-on, but I didn't see any reference that seemed relevant in the Release Notes. As I rely upon having many rows of tabs at the foot of the browser to be able to flick quickly between different web pages, this hit me quite hard.

Are there any settings which will return the multi-row tab functionality or can anything be done to reinstate it? In the meantime, I have had to revert back to V31.4.2 so that I can continue to use the multi-row tab capability.

Thanks.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Tab Mix Plus compatibility

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2023-02-22, 21:47

I have used that particular add-on for quite a while, at least 5 or 6 or 7 browser versions back, successfully. It still works just fine (for me anyway) with the current PM version 32.0.1. I have the 'tab multi row' feature enabled and take advantage of it on occasion. I usually only have 3 or 4 tabs open at most though. I don't know why it doesn't work for you. I hope you get it resolved though as I find that add-on to be quite useful as I guess you too.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

BobbyP
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BobbyP » 2023-02-24, 18:09

Well that is not good! TMP (and here, TreeStyleTabs) has been in use for many years. It is a must have. PM 32.0.0 (_32_) W7, TMP: 0.5.8.4.

Seems fine with _many_ other Extensions working as well. TST was disabled in order to test Bottom Multi-Row Tabs. Have tried four rows, so far. Double check TMP settings. What is it not doing? Maybe try disabling other Extensions to see if there is a conflict.
PM-32.0.0_W7_TabMixPlus_BottomTabs_MultiRow-ScreenShot.JPG

Shedder

Unread post by Shedder » 2023-02-24, 20:13

FYI, I have Tab Mix Plus V0.5.8.4, and I use multi-line tabs, placed at the bottom of the screen and with maximum rows set to 7. I do use a ridiculous number of open tabs (depending upon your view) with currently something like 377 pages open. :crazy:
As you might imagine, this really doesn't work if you need to scroll sideways to find a tab at the top of the page. I have Show Windows and Tabs from Last Time set so that it preserves my current operating state.

xenarulz
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by xenarulz » 2023-02-25, 13:42

Shedder, you make me feel less alone! I'm not the only one with > 300 tabs open! How lovely! :D
Btw, I have the strong feeling that despite all the effort, the more tabs open you keep the easier a freeze is. Even if 'open' means 'memorized' and not actually accessed during the session. Am I right?

BobbyP
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BobbyP » 2023-02-25, 15:38

Shedder wrote:
2023-02-24, 20:13
....I do use a ridiculous number of open tabs (depending upon your view) with currently something like 377 pages open.... I have Show Windows and Tabs from Last Time set so that it preserves my current operating state.
I understand as I also run with many open tabs, though find slowing/freezing sets the functional limit usually around 100-120 here depending on page size and _scripts_.

What exactly is not working now? Have you tried uninstalling TMP and reinstalling it? Do you have any other extensions? If so, have you tried disabling them to look for a conflict?
Off-topic:
Slightly: Tree Style Tabs For Pale Moon ( https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/treestyletabforpm/ ) makes wrangling more than a few Tabs so much easier, especially with hundreds of Tabs. Adding TST to TMP gives huge configuration control.

The negatives are: Once you use it, there is no turning back!
Three conflicts: 1) a chronic conflict with uBlockOrigin in that it (I think) disables the uBO GUI "Go To Dashboard" top black band. 2) When re-opening a Saved Session, the Tab order may be scrambled to varying extents (this may be impacted with the wonderful Suspender, as well). 3) Loss of control over TMP's Tab coloration settings.

Screenshot shows the Tree set to display on the left Side, with _only_ :D 65 tabs (all I have open now). The Tab bar is set to "Auto-Hide", and it's width is totally configurable on the fly.This is in an older version of PM, but it is fine in 32.0.0.
Attachments
PM_TreeStyleTabs_65_With_TMP_AutoHideTabBarOpen_ScreenShot.jpg

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-02-26, 23:06

xenarulz wrote:
2023-02-25, 13:42
the more tabs open you keep the easier a freeze is.
Yes :roll:
This is what bookmarks and just typing a part of the page title/address in the addressbar (so you can instantly recall whatever you had browsed earlier) are for, but all you dozens of tabs using people will eventually come crying that you lost your entire session due to a freeze or crash. Modern bloatware websites with their inherent memory leaks and dozens of background javascript requests will easily fuck up your browsing session if you keep more of them open than you can look at. I assume you aren't tab switching between 50-200 sites at a time, all the time.
The tab session restore feature was never meant to be abused like this.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-02-27, 09:59

moonbat wrote:
2023-02-26, 23:06
all you dozens of tabs using people will eventually come crying that you lost your entire session due to a freeze or crash. Modern bloatware websites with their inherent memory leaks and dozens of background javascript requests will easily fuck up your browsing session if you keep more of them open than you can look at. I assume you aren't tab switching between 50-200 sites at a time, all the time.
^So very much this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Shedder

Unread post by Shedder » 2023-03-04, 21:40

somdcomputerguy wrote:
2023-02-22, 21:47
I have used that particular add-on for quite a while, at least 5 or 6 or 7 browser versions back, successfully. It still works just fine (for me anyway) with the current PM version 32.0.1. I have the 'tab multi row' feature enabled and take advantage of it on occasion. I usually only have 3 or 4 tabs open at most though. I don't know why it doesn't work for you. I hope you get it resolved though as I find that add-on to be quite useful as I guess you too.
Seeing that you had success whilst using PM 32.0.1 (versus my own installation with PM 32.0.0) I thought that I would have another go, skipping the intermediate version PM 32.0.0 and going directly to PM 32.0.1. I am happy to report that all seems to be working fine once more. Many thanks for the input.

Shedder

Unread post by Shedder » 2023-03-04, 21:50

moonbat wrote:
2023-02-26, 23:06
xenarulz wrote:
2023-02-25, 13:42
the more tabs open you keep the easier a freeze is.
Yes :roll:
This is what bookmarks and just typing a part of the page title/address in the addressbar (so you can instantly recall whatever you had browsed earlier) are for, but all you dozens of tabs using people will eventually come crying that you lost your entire session due to a freeze or crash. Modern bloatware websites with their inherent memory leaks and dozens of background javascript requests will easily fuck up your browsing session if you keep more of them open than you can look at. I assume you aren't tab switching between 50-200 sites at a time, all the time.
I can't help feeling that you are more than a little angry here. Sorry to hear that. Yes, it's true that one can lose an entire session if the restore session facility fails on you, but it's also true that you can lose all of your bookmarks in a similar way if a developer has a bad day and changes something that forgets to carry those forward when you upgrade. That has happened to me in the past (not with PM, I should add, but it's one of the things that makes me wary of using Bookmarks). You would be surprised how many tabs a person can be switching between during a browsing/research session. Some activities demand a significant parallel-working mindset.

In addition, I have developed code in the past which, when I have seen people using, surprised me both because of how they were using it, and also because of how well my code stood up to the interesting and creative ways in which they were using it. To assume that any given feature is being "abused" just because that's not how you use it doesn't seem quite fair. Perhaps thinking "That's a new and interesting way to use this feature, maybe we can make it more robust and user-friendly would be a more appropriate way to respond". :D

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the functionality seems to be working in PM 32.0.1, so perhaps something was tweaked or adjusted after PM 32.0.0. Either way, I am happy that it's working again.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2023-03-04, 21:51

Shedder wrote:
2023-03-04, 21:40
I am happy to report that all seems to be working fine once more.
Well I'm glad that you got it working :clap: , but I have been using this add-on almost as long as I have been using this browser. That has been for quite a few years and major version updates.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-04, 23:32

Shedder wrote:
2023-03-04, 21:50
I can't help feeling that you are more than a little angry here.
Not angry, it doesn't really affect me if someone loses their whole browsing session by abusing the session restore feature instead of using bookmarks and history to find what they visited earlier. There have been cases of people blaming the browser for freezing/crashing/memory leaks and only later mentioning that it happened with 200 or 3000(yes, there was one like that) tabs open.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Shedder

Unread post by Shedder » 2023-03-05, 18:31

moonbat wrote:
2023-03-04, 23:32
Shedder wrote:
2023-03-04, 21:50
I can't help feeling that you are more than a little angry here.
Not angry, it doesn't really affect me if someone loses their whole browsing session by abusing the session restore feature instead of using bookmarks and history to find what they visited earlier. There have been cases of people blaming the browser for freezing/crashing/memory leaks and only later mentioning that it happened with 200 or 3000(yes, there was one like that) tabs open.
OK, Moonbat, I understand and see what you are saying. It is always easy, whenever any piece of software "lets you down" to blame it irrespective of whether you were using it "correctly" or not, and so if you are the developer, that can be upsetting if you're on the receiving end of the perceived blame.

For my own part, I tend to make my own backup of my open tabs, which I accept probably IS not using facilities in the manner that they are intended to be used, but it does then provide a route back after a disaster. I am not sure I should share how I do my "backup" but in case anyone is interested, I use the Preferences-->General-->Home Page-->Use Current Tabs to populate the adjacent field and then copy the contents of that field into a separate file. Not the most elegant, but has enabled me to recover from disasters in other browsers.

Perhaps I need to have another go at using Bookmarks...?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-05, 23:03

Off-topic:
Shedder wrote:
2023-03-05, 18:31
if you are the developer, that can be upsetting if you're on the receiving end of the perceived blame.
Less about blame and more about the fact that we are all volunteers here. This isn't some dedicated tech support channel with paid employees as with a big corporation. Issues like this, and the more common ones of people completely ignoring the prompt to include troubleshooting information, or posting in the wrong board, or not revealing that they're using NoScript (which isn't supported), or using a third party build for Windows XP (which again has no place here, PM having dropped support for XP and they should contact whoever built it) rushing to post without searching if their issue was already addressed - all of these waste time that could be better spent helping others who clearly state their problems. Besides it is a waste of time for both the newbie and the rest of us, having to go back and forth with multiple questions that could've easily been addressed had they provided required information - even just the URL of the website that doesn't work for them - upfront. And then the thin skinned go complain on Reddit that we are 'toxic' or 'unfriendly' because they couldn't be bothered to follow instructions right in front of their nose, or search before posting for the millionth time that Youtube/Github etc (for example) are not working.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2023-03-06, 08:53

Shedder wrote:
I use the Preferences-->General-->Home Page-->Use Current Tabs to populate the adjacent field and then copy the contents of that field into a separate file. Not the most elegant, but has enabled me to recover from disasters in other browsers.
More elegant would be to use Tabs to Portfolio.
Shedder wrote:
Perhaps I need to have another go at using Bookmarks...?
This.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...