The recent redesign of en.wikipedia.org Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

BopBe
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: The recent redesign of en.wikipedia.org

Unread post by BopBe » 2023-02-13, 10:43

Off-topic:
jobbautista9 wrote:
2023-02-12, 03:04
Off-topic:
You should've received a message on your talk page before your username was usurped. Did you have email set on your account, which would've notified you if your talk page got modified? Also your username wouldn't be usurped if you've made valid edits on any wiki, see https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/USURP
Can't find anything in my mailbox. Either an e-mail never arrived or gmail marked it as spam. I didn't had any edits under my account I don't think.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2023-02-16, 16:50

Moonchild wrote:
2023-02-09, 08:21
That's a disgusting change, yeah. I quite agree. More ridiculous amounts of whitespace and making desktop use a second-class citizen.
On the first day that the redesign was put into place, there was a banner at the top of the page that said something along the lines of the redesign being more "welcoming," and "friendly."

Apparently, a formal, respectable, and desktop-friendly website design is unfriendly and exclusionary.

Better watch out, Moonchild. There'll come a point, when Pale Moon's userbase grows even larger, when you will get e-mails from users who have only been on the Internet from 2014 or later who will tell you that the Pale Moon website is "cold" and "unwelcoming," and that the only remedy is a hamburger menu, whitespace, and lots of sans-serif fonts!
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-02-16, 20:36

Off-topic:
Tharthan wrote:
2023-02-16, 16:50
who will tell you that the Pale Moon website is "cold" and "unwelcoming," and that the only remedy is a hamburger menu, whitespace, and lots of sans-serif fonts!
Not sure what they expect from a pale moon other than it being cold and unwelcoming? :D Either way, Blue > white any day. *sagenod*
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2023-02-16, 23:29

Apparently, a formal, respectable, and desktop-friendly website design is unfriendly and exclusionary.
This is exactly the thing. They believe the mainstream internet user who was outside due to money/wasn`t born in the web 2.0 era is excluded thanks to the classic design. This is obviously a load of BS and they obviously do not want to tame the beast mobile ecosystems created, namely the iOS/android normie. You could educate these people to understand the difference of desktop interfaces and their power to mobile ones, but then you need to face the opposite trend of pushing these same users to more and more stupid interfaces by companies such as the grand rusty blinking leviathan. Wikipedia is mostly playing the dirty game.

What i do think it will be a disgrace is if wikipedia removes their classic design options from those who created an account for the sake of that option. And i, for some weird reason, think they will do it.

Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Attronarch » 2023-02-18, 14:45

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-02-09, 08:07
More correctly:

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name        wiki1
// @namespace   wiki1
// @include     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*
// @run-at document-start
// @version     1
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==

if(window.location.href.indexOf('useskin=vector') < 0)
    window.location.replace(
      window.location.href + 
      ((window.location.href.indexOf('?') < 0) ? '?':'&') +
      'useskin=vector'
    );

Thank you, works beautifully.