New idea

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

arthuralvescosta8z

New idea

Unread post by arthuralvescosta8z » 2022-12-01, 01:17

I have a new idea for pale moon browser, this browser is almost perfect in everything, especially in customization, but the browser cannot support web extensions
i speak about xpi/crx extensions from mozilla firefox, i want to replicate chrome extensions in pale moon, but i don't know how to program, and someone can make a update to make pale moon run or convert extensions from chrome or firefox? (sorry for my bad english, i am brazillian)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: New idea

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-01, 09:00

Not exactly a new idea ;-)
But there simply is no reason to support WebExtensions. There are plenty of reasons against it though.
XUL extensions can do everything WebExtensions can, and much more. WebExtensions also by design break the UI/Content border (a security consideration), and above all are specifically hampered by the limited APIs they have, which will get 100x worse when "Manifest v3" is being rolled out.
Please do a search on the forum, all of this has been discussed before and would likely inform you much better than this single paragraph ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: New idea

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2022-12-01, 12:34

arthuralvescosta8z wrote:
2022-12-01, 01:17
I have a new idea for pale moon browser, this browser is almost perfect in everything, especially in customization, but the browser cannot support web extensions
i speak about xpi/crx extensions from mozilla firefox, i want to replicate chrome extensions in pale moon, but i don't know how to program, and someone can make a update to make pale moon run or convert extensions from chrome or firefox? (sorry for my bad english, i am brazillian)
Hey i'm brazilian as well. So i will try to give you a quick overview why this is not possible as i suppose you've reached the forum recently.

The main point about WebExtensions "addons" being mostly only on chromium browsers and firefox is because their developers are not interested in developing on Pale Moon because most of the web is done in a chrome/FF only mentality, so they only care about profitability and most especially control and stealing people's data for sale. Google does this with Android and in fact has a huge share of their revenues depending on it.

I'm not sure if you've been into firefox in the early 2010s, but i was, and i could remember how XUL extensions were VERY powerful to their time and did everything extensions do today (albeit with the needs of these times and not extensions as complex as today due to not everything running on a browser). XUL inside itself is very powerful. It can do as much as what WebExtensions do but more, it's actually more open to developers doing more than they could do with WebExtensions and maybe use low level resources which aren't available because big browser companies are not interested at all. (I'm not sure so if anyone wants to correct me i have no problem with it)

The other and about as much important point to be said is that Pale Moon is absolutely distinct from inside to current firefox or chrome or blink engine browsers. This is code and architecture related and this actually brings advantages which are not available in mainstream browsers but changes things in how people can effectively do something like porting WebExtensions to it without work which would be more suited to web compatibility (if you search in the forum you will find devs talking about this). So they prefer to let people get into UXP instead of reinventing the wheel, and they are right on it.

arthuralvescosta8z

Web extension idea

Unread post by arthuralvescosta8z » 2022-12-03, 19:24

Hey, i am the person who posted "New Idea" topic, and i want to specify the web extension that i am talking about, the type of web extension that i want to pale moon developer to add is: extensions that can customize the design or ease the navigation in internet, the extensions that i love and i tried to add to pale moon is, Youtube redux, i brought back the old design of youtube with this, other extension that i love is stylish, i have brought back the old google logo and roblox page design, other extension that ease my life is BTRoblox and Tampermonkey. I know that some extensions bring some risk, But when we add add-ons to Pale Moon there is a check when adding, for safety reasons, so how about you add extensions in the next update of Pale Moon? Where I want to go is that if what you prioritize is the customization for the browser "Your Browser, Your Own Way" how about customizing the internet with extensions? If you can, you can add support to Chrome or Firefox extensions, add these extensions to Pale Moon's Add-On store or support Chrome Web Store or Firefox extension store. Currently extensions make our life easier for both the professional and the customization part. If you can add site extensions I will be very happy! Since I installed Pale Moon to replace Chrome, living without extensions was difficult to navigate, if they can add this to the next update I will be very happy! thanks. :D

Moderator note: Merged with the original topic. Next time please just post a reply, not a new topic.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Web extension idea

Unread post by Falna » 2022-12-03, 23:53

2022-12-03, 19:24
how about customizing the internet with extensions?
We already have many...
2022-12-03, 19:24
other extension that i love is stylish, i have brought back the old google logo and roblox page design, other extension that ease my life is BTRoblox and Tampermonkey.
Stylish = stylem
Tampermonkey = Greasemonkey / Guerilla Scripting

BTRoblox is a proprietary website, so the most likely people to make a Pale Moon extension is them. Though that's probably not very likely, you could ask.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...