Regarding browser restrictions, Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Regarding browser restrictions,

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-10-08, 02:23

frostknight wrote:
2022-10-07, 21:24
As for the last part, it is very puzzling. I ask, because this wasn't your policy in the past.

Long story short, I am just curious why you changed your mind since before. It might help me understand you.
I don't recall exactly what happened, but I think there was some kind of concern with bots scraping the add-ons site at one point, so allowing any UA to get addons would leave us more vulnerable to that kind of thing. That is, the idea is more to keep it so that the add-ons site is more for individual users who are interested in an add-on, than for someone that wants to mass download the whole site. At least that was my understanding.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-10-08, 05:26

athenian200 wrote:
2022-10-08, 02:23
bots scraping the add-ons site at one point
Interesting..would the Internet Archive be able to backup the addons as well, in that case?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-10-08, 06:59

frostknight wrote:
Long story short, I am just curious why you changed your mind since before. It might help me understand you.
Moonchild explained his reasoning. Whether you agree/understand or not is irrelevant.

Since you don't use Pale Moon, its listed extensions shouldn't be of interest anyway.
For testing and downloading legacy extensions ca-archive by JustOff is the most extensive source.

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2022-10-09, 05:12

gepus wrote:
2022-10-08, 06:59
frostknight wrote:
Moonchild explained his reasoning. Whether you agree/understand or not is irrelevant.

Since you don't use Pale Moon, its listed extensions shouldn't be of interest anyway.
For testing and downloading legacy extensions ca-archive by JustOff is the most extensive source.
Hmm... I was also speaking of Basilisk-Browser too, given its also hosted on his addon site server ... I think? If I am wrong, let me know... typo, I meant server.

But yeah, irrelevant or not, I was more curious about what changed.

I guess it doesn't matter.

:|
If it isn't broken, don't fix, unless you are a corporation, because that's the only way you can make money to the point where you can dominate the world in a megalomaniac sociopathic way that no one really wants that also heavily destroys the environment via data collection and wasting water

SMH...

If you believe Jesus is your savior, don't support any fascists, otherwise you are deceiving yourself.

I however, do believe in him. Don't let your pride blind you, lest you wish to be greatly humbled unexpectedly, as this will hurt on an agonizing scale

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2022-10-09, 05:16

athenian200 wrote:
2022-10-08, 02:23
frostknight wrote:
As for the last part, it is very puzzling. I ask, because this wasn't your policy in the past.

I don't recall exactly what happened, but I think there was some kind of concern with bots scraping the add-ons site at one point, so allowing any UA to get addons would leave us more vulnerable to that kind of thing. That is, the idea is more to keep it so that the add-ons site is more for individual users who are interested in an add-on, than for someone that wants to mass download the whole site. At least that was my understanding.
Ah okay, that makes sense! Sorry I didn't see your reply sooner.

That sounds like an answer and a good one at that.

Yeah... that would eat up a hell of a lot of bandwidth!

Thanks, marking solved

Actually one small addition to make:

I was unaware of one of his announcements, regarding his electricity company, etc...

So it seems he has more than just one good reason, potentially now...

My bad...

;)
If it isn't broken, don't fix, unless you are a corporation, because that's the only way you can make money to the point where you can dominate the world in a megalomaniac sociopathic way that no one really wants that also heavily destroys the environment via data collection and wasting water

SMH...

If you believe Jesus is your savior, don't support any fascists, otherwise you are deceiving yourself.

I however, do believe in him. Don't let your pride blind you, lest you wish to be greatly humbled unexpectedly, as this will hurt on an agonizing scale

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2022-10-25, 13:59

Moonchild wrote:
2022-10-07, 17:54
Not using UA sniffing in this case would require gathering of information from the client in other ways I'm not comfortable with.
No it wouldn't. Don't gather anything. Just treat all clients/browsers the same. Just like I can download Windows executables on my Linux machine (and vice versa) and attempt to launch them if I'm daft enough.
Or do you think this would cause more trouble than its worth?

I find it hard to believe what I'm reading. You're saying that UA sniffing is cool, even if it prevents PM from accessing things PM should be able to access. I mean, this is EXACTLY what all the other problematic sites are doing to PM. No doubt all those other web devs feel their special case is special enough to justify as well.

Alternatively, providing an option to download the extension regardless of UA is maybe the ultimate compromise. But we've talked about that before and it sounds like we just need someone to issue a pull request for that. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-25, 16:03

Well you have a point. Tobin previously convinced me that this was a good thing but I see now (also checking the site code just now, pompted by that post) that it is in fact much too restrictive and defaults much too aggressively to not giving access to the XPIs. Not to mention he didn't even USE the installtrigger mechanism which I assumed he did, and instead just flipped MIME types around to trigger an install.

I'll see if I can make logical changes that remove these restrictions on the short term.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-25, 16:51

If I did this right, the site should be a lot more accessible now even if you spoof the hell out of your UA.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-10-25, 22:50

Kind of glad to see this it was possible for this to be changed somewhat, because I know these changes were fairly unpopular back when they were done originally.

I really like the direction things have been going in the past several months, in spite of any setbacks.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2022-10-28, 14:45

Excellent resolution; thank you for this work. :thumbup:

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2022-10-30, 04:26

Moonchild wrote:
2022-10-25, 16:51
If I did this right, the site should be a lot more accessible now even if you spoof the hell out of your UA.
Appreciate this very much, thank you!

SMH...

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2022-10-30, 17:03

Thank you for making this change. There are multiple addons on the Pale Moon addons site that work properly with Basilisk out of the box, some of them don't even need the Firefox GUID added to install.rdf.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756