Privacy Possum Add-on

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Privacy Possum Add-on

Unread post by fatboy » 2022-08-24, 16:54

Good Day folks,

I have been using Privacy Possum on Firefox for quite some time though, and it's ability to block tracking headers is quite impressive.
I was wondering do you think this addon is needed for Pale Moon & Basilisk to make the browsers more private?

I think one can get away with only using uBlock Orgin, Privacy Possum, Crush Those Cookies for a basic, yet effective adblock/privacy setup to decrease online tracking?
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Privacy Possum Add-on

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-08-24, 18:44

fatboy wrote:
2022-08-24, 16:54
I was wondering do you think this addon is needed for Pale Moon & Basilisk to make the browsers more private?
I'm not totally certain what Privacy Possum does, but I'm thinking that the Pale Moon Pure URL extension probably does more.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-08-24, 22:46

I took a look at the README briefly and it seems that for Pale Moon there are separate extensions for each of the available features.
For example it seems to strip parameters like Pure URL and block cookies like eMatrix or uBlock.
The only thing I don't know if Pale Moon has is the "etags stripping", which, from what I understood, means removing certain headers from the HTTP request.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-25, 00:34

etags are essential for proper caching/not needlessly re-requesting assets. I recommend that you don't strip those out - instead use host-based blocking of known trackers, instead, e.g. through a privacy list subscription in your adblocker.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-08-25, 07:33

It's best if the browser sticks to what a browser is supposed to do - render HTML content passed to it. All these bells and whistles and adblocking are best left to a powerful extension system as already exists, unlike Firefox which got rid of XUL extension support and has started bloating the browser core with such features.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-25, 10:18

moonbat wrote:
2022-08-25, 07:33
It's best if the browser sticks to what a browser is supposed to do - render HTML content passed to it. All these bells and whistles and adblocking are best left to a powerful extension system as already exists, unlike Firefox which got rid of XUL extension support and has started bloating the browser core with such features.
While absolutely true, I don't think that was the suggestion here :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2022-08-26, 18:29

Moonchild wrote:
2022-08-25, 00:34
etags are essential for proper caching/not needlessly re-requesting assets. I recommend that you don't strip those out - instead use host-based blocking of known trackers, instead, e.g. through a privacy list subscription in your adblocker.
Etags are frequently used for tracking. I have been removing them for years and have had no problems.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-26, 20:52

I guess you didn't understand what I said. Ohwell.
Sure, blocking them won't necessarily break your use of the web, but you're certainly leaving a lot of performance on the table. If that's something that doesn't bother you then by all means, go right ahead and continue :)