How do I make and install personas? Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

How do I make and install personas?

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-08-21, 20:40

Several themes, like Qute 4, state that they are compatible with personas. However, I know neither how to make one nor install one: if I have anime fan art saved as JPEG or PNG on my computer, how can I use it as a persona? (ThemeBuilder only seems to support colour themes, not images.) This is a good example of what I would like to achieve, if I would rather have bandori than pokémon.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: How do I make and install personas?

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-08-22, 02:01

There's a page in the dpmo for that: http://developer.palemoon.org/addons/themes/personas/

Here's an example where I turned this "Firey Cyndaquil" webextension theme from Firefox to a persona: https://job.tilde.team/cyndaquil.html

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-09-16, 20:25

I am sorry for the delay. My friend had counselled me against responding, but I will now. These instructions are too technical for me to understand. Is there software available that will let me create a persona from any desired image? If not, what kind of professional should I hire to make one for me? (By this, I mean that, if I have a leaky pipe, I know the kind of professional I need is a plumber; if I need my teeth cleaned, the kind I need is a dentist; &c.)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-09-16, 22:41

You need to find someone able to make extensions for Pale Moon, basically.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-09-16, 23:09

I am pleased to report that I have uncovered how to build personas and use them with complete themes. My friend, who is willing to experiment with XPI, could reimplement Jobb’s method with a test theme, and had thereby given me the key to how to create themes.
Personas Plus in the Classic Addons Archive can create personas if fed a header 3000 by 200 pixels, with the part meant to appear on screen at right and without transparency in the remaining space. (It is far less picky on footers.) I could create these in the GIMP. ThemeTool can then recognise the theme I had made, letting me use it with Qute’s icons. The results are beautiful. I consider this solved, and I hope my experience can help anybody else who wants to style his browser.