Paywall Bypass for Firefox

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

groundhog2
Fanatic
Fanatic

Paywall Bypass for Firefox

Unread post by groundhog2 » 2022-07-30, 20:09

I have this installed for Chrome and it works like a charm to bypass registration and article limits of news sites. Is there a way to make the Firefox version work on Palemoon?

https://gitlab.com/magnolia1234/bypass- ... efox-clean

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Paywall Bypass for Firefox

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-07-30, 21:13

No, there is not.

lucas_jooj
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by lucas_jooj » 2022-07-30, 21:25

Disabling javascript or going to websites like printfriendly.com should do the trick w/o relying on shoddy webextensions(or XPIs if you find any for Pale Moon)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-07-30, 22:04

Or... you can respect the rights and business model of the news sites. Proper journalism isn't free to create. If you don't agree with supporting the people who bring you the news, then use other outlets.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-07-31, 02:49

groundhog2 wrote:
2022-07-30, 20:09
Is there a way to make the Firefox version work on Palemoon?
The Firefox version there is made with technology known as WebExtensions, which Chrome shares but Pale Moon rejects. We retain instead the traditional extension type, known as XUL, which Firefox had used until 2017.

The XUL version of Paywall Pass can be found in the in the Classic Add-ons Archive, which you can download here. Install the CAA, enter caa:addon/paywall-pass, click Download and save the XPI file, open Extras > Add-ons, click Install, select the XPI file and you should have it. I cannot guarantee that it should still work, but it is worth trying.

Should this fail, there should be Web sites listing disposable accounts; BugMeNot was once such a site, but no longer seems to produce any Web sites. One can also use µBlock Origin to hide the overlays often used as paywalls, or a VPN to evade server counts.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

lucas_jooj
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by lucas_jooj » 2022-07-31, 14:49

Moonchild wrote:
2022-07-30, 22:04
Or... you can respect the rights and business model of the news sites. Proper journalism isn't free to create. If you don't agree with supporting the people who bring you the news, then use other outlets.
There are some websites (seems a very common issue in my region) that block access to the article altogether if it thinks you are in an incognito tab, and it triggers every time I open some of their links even w/o being in a private tab or blocking first party cookies. Or their webpages are so bad to use with tons of unnecessary javascript code that makes the articles really bad to read on slower computers that simply using the reader add-on from the official add-on page solves this issue, and bypasses paywall sometimes, unintended

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-08-01, 00:46

Paywalls block casual visitors who aren't exactly going to pony up a subscription just to read one article and leave. I'd rather have an extension that detects paywalled sites and highlights their links so you can avoid clicking them altogether. Usually I ignore links from some of the pure subscription sites the moment I see them, such as The Times (UK).
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX