wondershare converter plugin workaround

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

val058

wondershare converter plugin workaround

Unread post by val058 » 2013-07-26, 14:23

Looking for a manual workaround to get wondershare ultimate converter plugin to install on palemoon (my 32 bit browser of choice)
it only installs in firefox now and it's install is automated when you install wondershare (excellent interface with youtube for downloads, btw, and I've tried them all) - They may try to put it on their things to do list but in meantime if theres a registry trick someone may know.. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: wondershare converter plugin workaround

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-26, 15:54

Usually it's only required to copy the necessary files to your Pale Moon profile folder; no registry tricks should be needed to install a plugin or add-on. I'll leave it to others more familiar with the plugin and with more time on their hands to provide more detailed instructions :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-07-27, 01:39

@val058: Welcome to the forum! :) Regret not familiar with the Wondershare Ultimate Converter plugin - but if the plugin is carried "onboard" the main wondershare application, and the Add-on is not available separately anywhere else, and annoyingly it only installs into Firefox... you may be able to "make your own" stand-alone version of the Add-on.

Follow/modify to suit the instructions for creating a stand-alone Norton Vulnerability Protection (NVP) Add-on set out in the "Browser add-ons" topic. Finding the "unpacked" version of the Add-on (flat file structure) within the parent application is not always easy - the folder may have a strange or cryptic name and could even be hidden? If so, well worth searching internet and Wondershare's forum for an exact location of the Firefox Add-on file. If no joy can use a file search tool like "Search Everything" and look through all the "install.rdf" files on your computer (Search Everything will list "hidden" files and folders without needing the "show hidden files and folders" option selected in Control Panel > Folder Options).

If all goes well and you successfully create a stand-alone Add-on (.xpi file) there is one final hurdle. Depending on how complex the Add-on is it may install correctly, appear in Pale Moon's Add-ons Manager, etc... but then still not work, or only partially work. Only one way to find this out! Good luck!

Alternatively, as Moonchild suggests above, you may be able to identify the Wondershare Add-on file in your Firefox Profile's "extensions" folder (easy access via: Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Folder > Show Folder button > extensions folder) and simply copy that file across to your Pale Moon Profile... hopefully restarting Pale Moon will then begin a normal Add-on installation sequence. Follow/modify to suit the Free Download Manager (FDM) instructions set out in the "WITH FIREFOX INTEGRATION METHOD" section of the "Integrating Free Download Manager" Tutorial. (Note: Some extension files in your Profile will be unnamed - but the "Extensions" section on the main Troubleshooting Information page usefully matches extension names to file ID's.) EDIT 1: Sadly the Wondershare VCU extension file is not obviously present in Firefox Profile's "extension" folder = nothing to copy! :problem:

EDIT 2: Downloaded Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate (VCU) 6.5.1 Free Trial version and located the "unpacked" Firefox extension folder in: C:\Program Files\Wondershare\Video Converter Ultimate\SVRFirefoxExt - easy to find - not hidden: :thumbup:
Wondershare VCU "unpacked" SVRFirefoxExt folder - 4 files.
Wondershare VCU "unpacked" SVRFirefoxExt folder - 4 files.
Followed modified "make your own" Add-on procedure from "Browser add-ons" topic:
  • Copy "SVRFirefoxExt" folder to Desktop (it's an ordinary folder - the "unpacked" version of the add-on (flat file structure).
  • Open "SVRFirefoxExt" folder, Select All (however you normally select multiple files) > Right-click (on any of the 4 highlighted files) > Select "Send To" > Choose "Compressed (zipped) Folder" option. Rename the newly created "xxxxxx.zip" folder as "SVRFirefoxExt.xpi" (or "any name.xpi").
  • Drag new SVRFirefoxExt.xpi folder onto Desktop. Close copy of original SVRFirefoxExt folder, delete or keep as you please.
  • Install VCU Add-on "SVRFirefoxExt.xpi" into Pale Moon by normal methods, either drag "SVRFirefoxExt.xpi" onto any open Pale Moon window, or in Pale Moon Add-ons Manager > Click Gearwheel symbol (top right) > Select "Install Add-on From File..."
Wondershare VCU 6.0.0 extension installed in Pale moon Add-ons Manager
Wondershare VCU 6.0.0 extension installed in Pale moon Add-ons Manager
Install all looks correct - but as I have never used Wondershare VCU I will leave testing to you - hope it works? :)

PS. A couple of the Wondershare VCU 6.5.1 Free Trial version folders refused to uninstall cleanly - "permission denied" when attempting to delete, etc. Resorted to using the "Take Ownership" tool and after a reboot could finally delete the last two folders. Also left behind some items in the registry that needed to be manually removed. Grrr! :evil:

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2013-07-28, 06:59

@ Blacklab

I searched how to install the Firefox Adobe Acrobat extension.I followed your procedure in Adobe/Acrobat xx/browser/WCFirefoxExtn and its works fine i just have to drag & drop the button from the toolbars buttons' panel on my toolbar. So thank you for that.