Downloading extensions from other browsers?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

David-RL
Moongazer
Moongazer

Downloading extensions from other browsers?

Unread post by David-RL » 2022-06-24, 18:46

I appreciate that downloads are locked to the latest palemoon for compatibility. However, there are some cases where being able to download from a different or older browser would be helpful. I'm guessing mozilla's implementation of "download anyway" type links have been helpful for many, and I believe a simple warning about compatibility is plenty. I believe incompatible extensions won't typically install anyway.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Downloading extensions from other browsers?

Unread post by Goodydino » 2022-06-24, 20:15

You can always fake the user-agent with an override.

David-RL
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by David-RL » 2022-06-24, 21:26

I believe that if extensions could be downloaded without requiring workarounds, it would make the site more user-friendly for many users over a length of time.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-25, 12:14

The other side of the equation is that we don't have a free server tree that shits out bandwidth for everyone who might want to use it ;)
So you can hopefully understand why we don't necessarily want to allow usage of the service from other browsers without so much as being asked if it's OK. Consider it some pushback against entitlement.

If you are a browser publisher and want to use the add-ons site... at least ask.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite