Implement WebExtensions support in Pale Moon via an addon? Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Re: Implement WebExtensions support in Pale Moon via an addon?

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-20, 16:17

jobbautista9 wrote:
2022-06-20, 15:02
You keep saying that, yet you haven't provided any link to one of their status meetings where they said that.
Because there is no link to provide. You have to go over these lengthy status meetings. There is no summary for the one lazy to read. Finally you read some of it. But what you read is too few to know what's really happening. The guy you mention is one of two main developers of SeaMonkey, this post of him on MozillaZine I did read. It shows he is confused by manifest v3 and doesn't know what to do next. Simply as that. This means SeaMonkey is unable to have WebExtensions support because there are too much works, but SeaMonkey is also unable to retain old XUL addons because the needed apis are all removed by Mozilla. BTW, SeaMonkey 2.57 (comm-esr60) could be never a thing but the version number being retained for future use (read the status meetings again, no link to sum it all for you). All of the development currently on SeaMonkey 2.53 (comm-esr56).

Now I ask you who will change the addons to adapt to the new apis since the old apis were removed as he said? The fact is the whole XUL platform being removed and not simply some apis. Nothing of XUL was left. You liked to argue so much but too lazy to do a simple test to verify it. It seems you are not actually running any versions of SeaMonkey, too. What you do is just talk and argue. I repeated it again: download SeaMonkey 2.57 dev from wg9s and try installing some old XUL addons. You will see they are installed without any problems but they simply not work. This is enough to prove it?

Just because they used to said SeaMonkey 2.57 will still keep XUL based addons doesn't mean they will or can do that. The fact is they changed their statements very regular. They can't keep what they talk because the reality is so different than ideology. The reality is so harsh. You got it?

BTW, Finally I have given up on SeaMonkey. Some websites that crucial to me no longer work correctly. The cause is not because they use any new fancy Chromish technology but because the tracking protection of SeaMonkey. They work on Pale Moon without any problems. I tried my best to disable or at least configure tracking protection on SeaMonkey either via the Preferences graphical interface or about:config but there is simply no way to do so. SeaMonkey really has all of the backend code they got from Mozilla codebase, but the frontend to configure and manage thing is simply not there. Don't talk with me about SeaMonkey anymore I will not answer.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-06-20, 20:21

jobbautista9 wrote:
2022-06-20, 15:02
Thunderbird/Add-ons Guide 57 wrote: Legacy, pre-version 57 add-ons - Thunderbird 57-60 (and Seamonkey [2.53-2.57]) still support legacy add-ons (except binary add-ons, see below), but all add-on authors must check to see whether code changes are needed.
Off-topic:
Only now do I realise that SeaMonkey’s minor versions are meant to track Firefox versions. This is logical! Part of me wants to apply this informally to Pale Moon, to compensate for the early period, up to 24, when its version numbers followed Firefox’s rapid release.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

mintoyatsu
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by mintoyatsu » 2022-06-20, 22:15

There are very few webextensions that aren't tied to some proprietary cloud "live service" or aren't glorified userscripts and CSS edits injected onto the page.
XUL extensions can do much more than any webextension. Developers these days just don't bother learning how to package their webextensions as a XUL extension, or better yet, make userscript versions that can be used on any browser.
Either way, if webextension support was added to the browser I would disable it instantly for security reasons.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-06-21, 01:59

mintoyatsu wrote:
2022-06-20, 22:15
Either way, if webextension support was added to the browser I would disable it instantly for security reasons.
It's ironic that while XUL was deprecated in favor of WebExtensions with the claim of it being insecure - the number of malicious extensions on AMO actually shot up after switching to web extensions since it was now easy for existing malware extensions for Chrome to target Firefox as well.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-06-21, 02:16

nguyen9173 wrote:
2022-06-20, 16:17
Because there is no link to provide. You have to go over these lengthy status meetings. There is no summary for the one lazy to read. Finally you read some of it.
My source: Exact words from the one in charge of keeping SeaMonkey together, as well as Mozilla's documentation

Your source: Trust me bro

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-07-08, 22:48

jobbautista9 wrote:
2022-06-21, 02:16
nguyen9173 wrote:
2022-06-20, 16:17
Because there is no link to provide. You have to go over these lengthy status meetings. There is no summary for the one lazy to read. Finally you read some of it.
My source: Exact words from the one in charge of keeping SeaMonkey together, as well as Mozilla's documentation

Your source: Trust me bro
Opposite to what you said. I give you the source to track everything with their status meeting. I also give you a way to verify what the guy told you is right or not. You refused to read the status meeting and also refused to actually downloading and try installing old xul addons on sm2.57. You are either a troll or living in a bubble. I don't have time to waste with you.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2022-07-08, 22:54

nguyen9173 wrote:
2022-07-08, 22:48
I don't have time to waste with you.
Obviously, warnings and an issued cooldown period did nothing to temper this user's attitude into something acceptable for positive forum communication.
We shouldn't waste any more time on these threads that all end up in a "Pale Moon is old and bad and I know better than everyone else" in the end.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-07-09, 02:19

I was about to say that nguyen is a sockpuppet of djgpp, but looks like the banhammer got first. :P

Anyway, to prevent further spread of misinformation and detractors exploiting this thread as a "gotcha moment" of how this forum "censors innocent critics", let's debunk the last post, shall we?
nguyen9173 wrote:
Opposite to what you said. I give you the source to track everything with their status meeting. I also give you a way to verify what the guy told you is right or not.
No you didn't. You just said "read the status meetings". That's not a source anyone can verify. I provided a link to the lead developer's words which anyone could see, as well as a link to the Mozilla wiki saying that comm-central applications (i.e. Thunderbird and SeaMonkey) will still support XUL in 60 ESR (that would be 2.57 for SM), which again, anyone could see for themselves.
nguyen9173 wrote:
You refused to read the status meeting
I don't have time to read over hundreds of their status meetings just to see where they said they will no longer support XUL, and I don't have the motivation to do so because I'm not invested in SeaMonkey. You are the one who said it's in one of their status meetings; the burden of proof is yours, not mine.
nguyen9173 wrote:
and also refused to actually downloading and try installing old xul addons on sm2.57.
In order to put this argument to rest, I downloaded the latest alpha of 2.57 from WG9s, and installed my add-on called BrowserTickTock to SeaMonkey. The XUL code works, as well as the alarm, as you can see from the screenshot. Just because legacy uBlock Origin doesn't work in 2.57 doesn't mean all XUL add-ons won't work. uBlock Origin doesn't even use XUL that much for pete's sake. The only place where it uses XUL is for the preferences menu of the add-ons manager, and the two buttons just bring you to its HTML-based UI in a new tab (which is not how most good XUL extensions work! They will usually pop-out a new XUL window instead). So turns out that you're completely wrong about XUL no longer working in 2.57, and is the one who refuses to actually download and install said add-ons.
nguyen9173 wrote:
You are either a troll or living in a bubble. I don't have time to waste with you.
Funny how I got called a troll by a user who got banned at first for spamming the forum with useless threads, and now permanently unwelcome due to repeated ban evasion (this seems to be the third time, feel free to correct me @Admin).
Attachments
Screenshot_2022-07-09_10-09-07.png
Screenshot_2022-07-09_10-09-43.png
Screenshot_2022-07-09_10-10-54.png

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817