PM and EnhancedSteam

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

TheArchitektas

PM and EnhancedSteam

Unread post by TheArchitektas » 2013-07-23, 10:43

So there's this great add-on called EhancedSteam, but it doesn't work PM. I've talked to the dev and that was his reply:
I've worked with other PaleMoon users and have determined that the browser does not yet support the latest Mozilla "jetpack" libraries. Unfortunately this version of the Mozilla SDK is what Enhanced Steam was written in, meaning it will not work until PaleMoon supports it.
Are you aware of these latest "jetpack" libraries? I mean, can we expect an update anytime soon? Like a small one, 20.2.2 or something, or is it not that simple?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM and EnhancedSteam

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-23, 14:14

It's a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't problem.

Mozilla has pushed add-on developers to start relying on browser-installed SDK libraries, resulting in add-ons no longer shipping their own libraries.

As a result, add-ons written in the latest SDK will only work on the latest version of Firefox (or whichever version that has a copy of the SDK libraries it was designed against). Not including the dependencies in practice makes the add-on incomplete and not self-contained. Including the dependencies makes the add-on larger and use more memory because the add-on will load its own copy of the SDK libraries. bug #673391

Basically, you can compare it with new jetpack add-ons being like .NET applications: they need the .NET framework to run (and a matching version of it).
Or, compare it with rapid application builders: easy to make programs in, but usually the resulting .exe is large (compare this with including the SDK files in an add-on).

Since this is a step made in Firefox 21 ("Integrated add-on SDK loader and API libraries into Firefox" bug #731779 -- which has a lot of other patches that need to be installed as well) and Pale Moon currently uses the Firefox 20 code base, it's not just a matter of "updating the SDK version", and in fact is not a small matter to implement at all (doesn't look like this can be back-ported).

You won't be able to use this add-on until the next major version of Pale Moon comes out (v24, planned early October) OR the add-on developers include the API libraries and the loader they depend on in their add-on package.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

TheArchitektas

Re: PM and EnhancedSteam

Unread post by TheArchitektas » 2013-07-23, 16:06

Mhm, I see. Thanks for the reply.