@RealityRipple What about mixing MTube and UTube? Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

@RealityRipple What about mixing MTube and UTube?

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-02, 19:21

Not really mixing though. But creating another addon incorporating both MTube and UTube features.

MTube is very limited. To be clear it's the youtube mobile interface on PC is very limited. Any kind of clicks (regardless of left click or right click) will open the video anyway. Suppose I don't want to open the video but only copy it link. This is very inconvenient. Another problem is you can't control the video playback in this mobile mode on Pale Moon. Regardless of you click into the progress bar nor you drag it to the new location it will do nothing. This is the major annoying.

UTube open youtube link in embedded mode but browsing videos still have to do via youtube interface which is unbearable. I don't know why you put the embedded video on your realityripple.com site because you could open any youtube embedded video on youtube itself, the trick is like this. Suppose the video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSQiE03OSUQ then the embedded version of it will be https://www.youtube.com/embed/kSQiE03OSUQ

You see, no need to put it on your website at all. I even have the idea of using some kind of URL rewrite addon to rewrite the video URL to open in embedded mode automatically when clicked the link but so far unable to.

My proposal for the new addon is open youtube interface to browse for videos in youtube mobile interface (like MTube does) but when playing the video open it in embedded mode (like UTube does). What do you think about it?

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: @RealityRipple What about mixing MTube and UTube?

Unread post by Falna » 2022-06-02, 23:04

nguyen9173 wrote:
2022-06-02, 19:21
you can't control the video playback in this mobile mode on Pale Moon.
You can, just not using the slider - see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28222&p=227198#p227198

MTube does no more than switch to using YouTube's mobile interface; any differences are due to YouTube's mobile site, not MTube.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

mintoyatsu
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by mintoyatsu » 2022-06-02, 23:38

nguyen9173 wrote:
Another problem is you can't control the video playback in this mobile mode on Pale Moon. Regardless of you click into the progress bar nor you drag it to the new location it will do nothing. This is the major annoying.
On the mobile site, you have to repeatedly double click ("touch") the left or right sides of the video frame if you want to go backwards or forwards. You can also put a direct timestamp in the URL with &t=10m10s (for 10 minutes and 10 seconds).

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2022-06-03, 01:14

"extensions.utube.hosted" in about:config. Set it to false.
Be warned that many videos will fail to play if you do this. I have no idea why, I only know it happens. A lot.

You can also host the file yourself: download https://realityripple.com/Software/XUL/ ... y.html.txt and put it on your own site, then change "extensions.utube.hostedURL" to match.

Both extensions can be installed and will work in concert. They're separate so you can turn one functionality or another off by disabling the relevant extension.

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-03, 03:06

RealityRipple wrote:
2022-06-03, 01:14
Both extensions can be installed and will work in concert. They're separate so you can turn one functionality or another off by disabling the relevant extension.
This is already my use case. I have both installed but never run them the same time because don't want them to conflict.

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-03, 03:12

Falna wrote:
2022-06-02, 23:04
nguyen9173 wrote:
you can't control the video playback in this mobile mode on Pale Moon.
You can, just not using the slider - see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28222&p=227198#p227198
This is still way too limited, no way comparable to the flexible of youtube pc on web. Youtube mobile as I recall also has no such limitation. I'm free to go whatever scene I want. About adding the timing option to the URL then it's no longer pleasure watching videos but a pain not worth to suffer.
Falna wrote:
2022-06-02, 23:04
MTube does no more than switch to using YouTube's mobile interface; any differences are due to YouTube's mobile site, not MTube.
I have an idea. I will try to use mobile user agent to fool youtube to redirect to mobile interface by default and use UTube to open videos in embedded mode. This way I could browser in mobile mode and watching in embedded mode. The best compromise I could think of.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2022-06-03, 03:27

nguyen9173 wrote:
2022-06-03, 03:06
RealityRipple wrote:
2022-06-03, 01:14
This is already my use case. I have both installed but never run them the same time because don't want them to conflict.
They do not conflict. As I said, they work in concert. I specifically wrote them this way.

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-15, 14:30

Off-topic:
I switched to Invidious for a better experience anyway. I still keep MTube so if I accidentally clicked on a youtube link the mobile interface will be used ;)