Begging addons developers

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Begging addons developers

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-02, 18:33

Please consider adding SeaMonkey support to your addons, too. If you ever use SeaMonkey 2.53.12 and go to their addons site (now of thunderbird.net) you will see there are too many addons that simply not compatible. They are all unmaintained. Using the trick I learned from Pale Moon on the time dual GUID removed, I was able to add necessary additions as the guide below and repack the xpi to install on SeaMonkey:

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/dev/extensions

Most of the time the repacked addons will just work (I tested with Swarth, Sasuga, Simple Screenshot,...).

The XUL community is too small. Now only left Pale Moon and SeaMonkey 2.53.12 is active developed (Waterfox Classic is full of not patched security issues and they are also unwillingly to patch). SeaMonkey will finally drop XUL to follow Mozilla but due to their current situation we can expect the maintenance LTS 2.53.x series to last very long. Please help us too.

By a Pale Moon/SeaMonkey 2.53.x user

(SeaMonkey even thought has an engine that as old as Pale Moon, doesn't see much trouble watching youtube as Pale Moon. Browsing videos on youtube interface with Pale Moon is unbearable. This is the reason I started to use SeaMonkey alongside with Pale Moon. I'm originally a Pale Moon user only).

p/s: licensing concerns is what prevented me to just upload my modified xpi to my github. If your addons are hosted on github it's much easier for me to just contribute to you or even create a fork for my own purposes. But most of addons are hosted on gitlab. I found gitlab interface to be confusing and after reading many SO's article about how to fork a gitlab repo to github I gave up and made this thread.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Begging addons developers

Unread post by Goodydino » 2022-06-02, 20:44

There are some extensions which will no longer work with SeaMonkey, but for the most part, all you need to do is increase the max version number for the target application in install.rdf inside the .xpi file and then install manually.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-06-03, 03:06

nguyen9173 wrote:
2022-06-02, 18:33
Browsing videos on youtube interface with Pale Moon is unbearable.
Try this userscript (requires Greasemonkey for Pale Moon), it makes Youtube more compact and adds a few extra features. Or you can use my extension PMPlayer (link in signature) which plays videos in a floating popup window so you can look at other tabs.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-03, 03:15

Goodydino wrote:
2022-06-02, 20:44
There are some extensions which will no longer work with SeaMonkey, but for the most part, all you need to do is increase the max version number for the target application in install.rdf inside the .xpi file and then install manually.
SeaMonkey is not like Pale Moon. Each release of the same series they changed much. For example, DownThemAll! no longer works if you use this way but you have to install a modified version by someone on github. Another problem is about maintained vs unmaintained. Using maintained addons, you at least have someone to talk with. Using unmaintained addons which it developers abandoned it since years ago is like you are talking with ghosts.

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-03, 03:16

moonbat wrote:
2022-06-03, 03:06
nguyen9173 wrote:
Try this userscript (requires Greasemonkey for Pale Moon), it makes Youtube more compact and adds a few extra features. Or you can use my extension PMPlayer (link in signature) which plays videos in a floating popup window so you can look at other tabs.
Do you have any confident using something being abandoned since 2018?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-06-03, 03:46

Yes, I 'have many confident' :roll:

Just because the assholes at Google normalized pushing breaking updates every fucking two weeks to provide job security for web developers doesn't mean everyone has to follow them. Pale Moon is a mature and stable platform and extensions written for it rarely have to be updated because something broke. This script is way better than dicking around with the mobile version of the site which would be limited in features by definition.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-06-03, 08:37

I don't have the resources to keep track of any platform that is not Pale Moon, so any work on any of my extensions (e.g. sasuga) has to be provided by someone else, either by forking or submitting patches to me which I will then apply, but any bug specific to that non-Pale Moon platform will go unaddressed unless this someone else (can be one person or a group) fixes it.
This also means that in case I receive a bug report about this platform and nobody is around to fix it within a reasonable time frame, I might outright remove support for said platform.

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2022-06-03, 16:59

moonbat wrote:
2022-06-03, 03:06
nguyen9173 wrote:
While nice additions, SeaMonkey simply crunches through scripts faster than Pale Moon. To me, this is obvious from general browsing and Speedometer 2.0, SeaMonkey's score is about twice of Pale Moon here.

And GreaseMonkey for Pale Moon could use an update, it's supposed to be able to check for script updates. PM version seems broken in that regard.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2022-06-03, 19:36

Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-04, 09:07

Please don't just toss URLs in posts without explanation.
app.php/rules#rule-7a

For everyone who wonders: this is an on-line add-on mangling tool that can convert Firefox/Thunderbird add-ons to be installable in SeaMonkey. Of course it has the same caveat as any "converter" in that it won't fix any actual needed code changes in scripting or what not if there is a feature/core difference between the applications.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2022-06-04, 14:59

Moonchild wrote:
2022-06-04, 09:07
Please don't just toss URLs in posts without explanation.
My apologies. I should have mentioned that it's similar to JustOff's Moon Tester Tool, in that, it allows installation of extensions into SeaMonkey. It doesn't promise that those installations will work. That will be up to the end-user to determine.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2022-06-04, 21:12

nguyen9173 wrote:
2022-06-03, 03:15
Goodydino wrote:
SeaMonkey is not like Pale Moon. Each release of the same series they changed much. For example, DownThemAll! no longer works if you use this way but you have to install a modified version by someone on github. Another problem is about maintained vs unmaintained. Using maintained addons, you at least have someone to talk with. Using unmaintained addons which it developers abandoned it since years ago is like you are talking with ghosts.
The versions of DownThemAll I found on github are way too old. The one with the same name is version 3.0.2. The one I use with SeaMonkey is version 3.0.9.1. The other one is called Anticontainer and it is also too old.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2022-06-04, 21:20

nguyen9173 wrote:
SeaMonkey will finally drop XUL to follow Mozilla but due to their current situation we can expect the maintenance LTS 2.53.x series to last very long. Please help us too.
As far as i know Seamonkey is not planning to drop XUL - where do you have read such news?

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-06-05, 02:15

SeaMonkey plans to adopt Webextensions in 2.57, if that will ever be released. But I haven't heard of any plan to drop XUL. frg personally wants to keep XUL, IIRC.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2022-06-05, 03:06

I thought I heard seamonkey switching to webextensions myself, to be honest.
Off-topic:
Btw, if people have trouble with youtube.com, the only two options I see for being able to view stuff on youtube are, the forbidden application that Moonchild probably doesn't want me to mention and similar stuff. Which makes it available offline...

Or something akin to the invidio interface online, which at least doesn't make you think you need to.

The more youtube.com is owned by Google without any antitrust action against Google, the more this stuff, will happen.

They also need way more bad press for their data centers and their problems against the environment, as well as their greed, their abuses as a whole, for sure though too.

The only other option, is avoid watching youtube. Which most people will not agree with...

So, yeah...
Last edited by Moonchild on 2022-06-05, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please mark off-topic stuff as such.

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-15, 14:44

Goodydino wrote:
2022-06-04, 21:12
nguyen9173 wrote:
2022-06-03, 03:15
Goodydino wrote:
The versions of DownThemAll I found on github are way too old. The one with the same name is version 3.0.2. The one I use with SeaMonkey is version 3.0.9.1. The other one is called Anticontainer and it is also too old.
With SeaMonkey you have to read the release note and if you want to know more then their status meetings. The changes are more dramatics than Pale Moon. Read the release note of latest SeaMonkey here:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... ey2.53.12/
You will find out you need to use this version of dTA: https://github.com/dirkf/downthemall-legacy/releases/

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-15, 14:51

Sajadi wrote:
2022-06-04, 21:20
nguyen9173 wrote:
SeaMonkey will finally drop XUL to follow Mozilla but due to their current situation we can expect the maintenance LTS 2.53.x series to last very long. Please help us too.
As far as i know Seamonkey is not planning to drop XUL - where do you have read such news?
They will. You have to read their status meetings here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings and of course all of the corresponding bug reports to know what is happening. The SeaMonkey blog is not any helpful.

They will follow Thunderbird to drop XUL. There is a bug report to change the extension of all .xul files to .xhtml (I will not give you the link since I not bookmarked it, you will have to find it out yourself). A more easier way is to try SeaMonkey 2.57 you will see uBO legacy is broken (this information is also on their status meetings). Any SeaMonkey later than 2.53.x will be WebExtension based and XUL will be completely removed. SeaMonkey 2.53.x is the last XUL support version. You see, even though no longer supported by Mozilla, the guys at Thunderbird and SeaMonkey will follow Mozilla anyway. They don't have enough resource to stick with XUL like you (or, they don't want to be on their own like you).

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-15, 14:55

jobbautista9 wrote:
2022-06-05, 02:15
SeaMonkey plans to adopt Webextensions in 2.57, if that will ever be released. But I haven't heard of any plan to drop XUL. frg personally wants to keep XUL, IIRC.
Read his comment again. You understand it wrong. He said, if they could keep both XUL and WebExtension it will be very good (unrealistic!), but to keep up with Mozilla codebase they have to remove XUL anyway. If someone interested and has the needed ability to roll back all of Mozilla's commits to completely phase out XUL and add it back they will very welcome to merge. But they have to deal with it to keep going forward, the best compromise they could choose is to follow Mozilla to embrace WebExtension and remove XUL. Hope it helps.

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-15, 14:57

WiseWolf wrote:
2022-06-05, 03:06
I thought I heard seamonkey switching to webextensions myself, to be honest.
Off-topic:
Btw, if people have trouble with youtube.com, the only two options I see for being able to view stuff on youtube are, the forbidden application that Moonchild probably doesn't want me to mention and similar stuff. Which makes it available offline...

Or something akin to the invidio interface online, which at least doesn't make you think you need to.

The more youtube.com is owned by Google without any antitrust action against Google, the more this stuff, will happen.

They also need way more bad press for their data centers and their problems against the environment, as well as their greed, their abuses as a whole, for sure though too.

The only other option, is avoid watching youtube. Which most people will not agree with...

So, yeah...
Invidious is good and not violate law. I'm using it.

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-15, 14:59

This site has not worked for a very long time because Mozilla actually removed all XUL addons from AMO. The XUL addons now can only found via JustOff's ca-archive unfortunately :(