NoScript block is now mandatory?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: NoScript block is now mandatory?

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-05-13, 08:59

Moonchild, does the rule to not use NoScript and expect support on the forum still hold? Seen this as a big complaint on the subreddit, including ridiculous comparisons to Mozilla's restrictions on Firefox over the years.

@Vevendovides - try restarting in case your browser needs to refresh the updated blocklist.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-13, 09:54

moonbat wrote:
2022-05-13, 08:59
Moonchild, does the rule to not use NoScript and expect support on the forum still hold? Seen this as a big complaint on the subreddit, including ridiculous comparisons to Mozilla's restrictions on Firefox over the years.
I know it's been a big complaint but the NoScript dev also has done nothing I am aware of that would address the stability and corruption issues we've seen. The way it hooks into the browser is just not kosher.
I'll be more than happy to remove this support restriction (and the blocklist entry) if there's solid evidence this has been addressed, OR if it's clear that our platform development is now avoiding crashes and profile corruption from it as a side-effect (objective testing needed in that case)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-05-13, 10:02

Do they even continue to maintain their legacy XUL version? Else someone needs to fork and fix it. Me, I'm more than happy with eMatrix.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-13, 10:14

moonbat wrote:
2022-05-13, 10:02
Do they even continue to maintain their legacy XUL version?
No idea; probably not.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

VevendoVides
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by VevendoVides » 2022-05-13, 10:58

Upshift:
VevendoVides wrote:
2022-05-13, 08:50
Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-12, 09:13
d'oh. My mistake. I lowered it to 2, not 1. Sorry!
I'll fix that now.
Thank you, it seems to be fixed - but only in my Company-PM where i yesterday evening updated to 31. But at home, the result is still the same.What do i have to do, do reactivate NoScript on my private System? I am offered only "delete" but nothing else more.

Many tanks in advance
Vevi
Can no one help me, moonbats explanation i don't understood and also, that it runs on my office-Pale Moon but not at home?!

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-05-13, 11:02

VevendoVides wrote:
2022-05-13, 10:58
moonbats explanation i don't understood
I mean just restart Pale Moon :)
Might allow it to refresh the updated blocklist.

VevendoVides
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by VevendoVides » 2022-05-13, 11:24

moonbat wrote:
2022-05-13, 11:02
I mean just restart Pale Moon :)
Might allow it to refresh the updated blocklist.
Thank you for your patience. Unfortunately it doesn't and i am still offered to delete the app or stay with it disabled. My personell workaround at present was, that i sat "extensions.blocklist.enabled" to false, but that i think, cannot be the final solution. Again, thank you for your hint :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-13, 12:36

Blocklists are only checked once a day or so. A restart won't bypass that, but you can force it another way:
  1. Go to about:config
  2. In the filter box, type "blocklist"
  3. Find app.update.lastUpdateTime.blocklist-background-update-timer and right-click -> reset
  4. Find extensions.blocklist.interval and set it to "60"
  5. Restart the browser
  6. Wait a minute or 2
  7. Set extensions.blocklist.interval back to its default value (reset)
That should force an update.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-05-13, 15:57

moonbat wrote:
2022-05-13, 10:02
Do they even continue to maintain their legacy XUL version? Else someone needs to fork and fix it. Me, I'm more than happy with eMatrix.
For years, Maone had said he would ‘do [his] best to provide security fixes as long as supporting browser still guarantee their own security updates’, explicitly naming Pale Moon as a target, while leaving it at 5·1·9. Sometime in III 2022, he had replaced his Web site; he now states he ‘cannot update nor support NoScript 5.x and below anymore, because it was based on a completely different and now obsolete [sic] technology.’

I would be thankful for a NoScript fork: I prefer its user interface and simplicity over ηMatrix’s, and there are some secondary features in NoScript, like sanitising POST into GET requests and the ABE, that I have not seen in any other security extension. NoScript has never disrupted my browser’s stability in almost three years of use in Pale Moon, and I have had the sense to test any browser problems in a new profile before reporting them here.
Off-topic:
Decentraleyes, more than any other extension, causes sites to fail unless I whitelist them, likely due to obsolete libraries.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-13, 19:22

TheRealMaestro wrote:
2022-05-13, 15:57
NoScript has never disrupted my browser’s stability in almost three years of use in Pale Moon
Unfortunately it has disrupted many people's browser stability for many years, and this unpopular decision to put it on the block list was only after we ran out of other options, even with the dev trying to solve it but not managing to pinpoint the issue. It works well for some, but also very poorly for others.
Ultimately we just got tired of the troubleshooting we constantly had to do due to it breaking websites by blocking stuff while it should be completely disabled, and breaking the browser and profiles (especially history/data storage) by merely being installed, aside from the obvious issue of browser crashes it caused.
Like I said if that's somehow solved (if not by the original extension then by the person making a fork) or if it really does not cause issues anymore with our current platform state, then I'll be the first to welcome its use back. But until then we're going to have to keep this status quo.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-05-13, 19:33

Thank you for explaining in detail why attitudes have been so mixed. I understand much better now, and I respect the decision.
Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-13, 19:22
Like I said if that's somehow solved (if not by the original extension then by the person making a fork) or if it really does not cause issues anymore with our current platform state, then I'll be the first to welcome its use back.
If there is anything that I, with my limited technical knowledge, can do to help test whether NoScript’s glitches are behind it for good, I would be glad to hear.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-05-14, 09:04

Moonchild wrote:Blocklists are only checked once a day or so. A restart won't bypass that, but you can force it another way:
Many thanks for the 'force Blocklist update' sequence above. :D

FWIW - I've used NoScript for over 10 years with each successive version of Pale Moon and never noticed any problems with it... its a fiddle admittedly... but once you are used to using NoScript I think it makes many sites load and work better without all the JavaScript baggage the modern internet is awash with... especially if you are using a lower spec or older machine. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-14, 11:44

Blacklab wrote:
2022-05-14, 09:04
its a fiddle admittedly... but once you are used to using NoScript I think it makes many sites load and work better
I'm not saying the extension has no practical value. It definitely does! It's also not up to me/us to decide what an "acceptable level of operational skill" is and decide based on that, as some services do. If you want to install a very difficult to operate extension in your browser and cause yourself grief, then that is ultimately up to you :)

But it should also not cause permanent issues in the application it extends, and that has been the problem here. The fact that it is intermittent is the reason why there has been so much backlash about this, because people generally don't seem to understand that when something doesn't impact them directly, that it could or would be a problem for others.

VevendoVides
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by VevendoVides » 2022-05-14, 12:32

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-13, 12:36
Blocklists are only checked once a day or so. A restart won't bypass that, but you can force it another way:
  1. Go to about:config
  2. In the filter box, type "blocklist"
  3. Find app.update.lastUpdateTime.blocklist-background-update-timer and right-click -> reset
  4. Find extensions.blocklist.interval and set it to "60"
  5. Restart the browser
  6. Wait a minute or 2
  7. Set extensions.blocklist.interval back to its default value (reset)
Thank you so much moonchild. That finaly brought the solution :)