Extensions can not be installed

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Dr_IT

Extensions can not be installed

Unread post by Dr_IT » 2013-07-19, 07:45

When updated extensions use a minor version higher than what palemoon uses, these can not be installed.
My current PM version is 20.2.1-x64, but the Mozilla addons site recognizes this as Firefox 20.2 and so these extensions get following warning "Not available for Firefox 20.2"
F.e. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fxopera/

Of course these extension can be used, but because of the used minor version in combination with the version numbering used by PM, these will not install (not even when you force download, because also the check in PM does not allow it).

Can this be fixed somehow?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Extensions can not be installed

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-19, 08:15

This is a theme.
Version 23 Released July 13, 2013 3.5 MB Works with Firefox 22.0 - 25.0

You will have to use a version that is compatible with the code base Pale Moon is using (Firefox 20). Because Mozilla is constantly changing things around in the user interface, especially things like themes will have very strict compatibility limits, but other add-ons that work with the UI in certain ways will also be affected by strict version restrictions.
If you check "version information" at the bottom of the AMO pages, you can find versions that work for the current version of the browser. In almost all cases, the only changes made to add-ons will have been to "keep them compatible" with the most current release version of Firefox.

The latest compatible version of this theme:
Version 21 Released April 26, 2013 3.9 MB Works with Firefox 20.0 - 23.0
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Dr_IT

Unread post by Dr_IT » 2013-07-19, 08:25

So there's nothing you can do (e.g. an option to let themes think it is a higher version)?

In the past i once experimented with this theme, by extracting, adjusting the minor version and then installed. Worked perfectly...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-19, 08:55

No, there's nothing I can do about the add-ons being incompatible because of changes made.

You can try to change the add-on compatibility in the add-on itself, but there's likely a good reason why the add-on was set to be incompatible for anything less than the minimum version stated. Forcing compatibility is never recommended and always at your own risk. If you run into problems while using a forced-compatibility add-on, always remove the add-on in question and try again before asking for support. I don't really see why you would prefer to force compatibility of add-ons when previous versions are guaranteed to be compatible. Version 21 is compatible with pale Moon 20.2, Version 23 is compatible with Firefox 22. So, use version 21? It's not like Pale Moon's code base version is set in stone so that compatibility of "the latest" is going to be an ongoing problem from here on out. At most you will have to compensate for intermediate releases made by Mozilla while Pale Moon does not make a major version update (it's a lot of work to do that, and I'm not going to do that every 6 weeks)...

Bottom line: Pale Moon does not hop after Mozilla's rabid release schedule every turn of the mill. As a result, you will, in some cases, have to use a slightly older version of an add-on - especially in the case of themes. It's just the way it is :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-19, 09:10

I've made sure to edit the sticky to include this information.

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=610

Dr_IT

Unread post by Dr_IT » 2013-07-19, 10:07

I know that pale moon doesn't follow FF release schedule, which is ok. But in the case of this theme i thought i could ask about maybe a solution, so thanks for your response.

In the case of this theme an older version means an older look. I like the new look, but gues i have to wait till an major version of PM or try adjusting the version....

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-19, 12:31

Well, short of back-porting the new look to work with the older code base if it doesn't work immediately, there's nothing you can do. On the browser side, I certainly can't change anything to "make it work" if it doesn't work with a simple .rdf edit. "Je kunt geen ijzer met handen breken" ;)

You can always ask the theme dev for insights into what was changed that compatibility with v20 was broken, but otherwise you will indeed have to be patient until Pale Moon updates to a new code base. Edits required may be simple, or they may not; only the theme dev can tell you.