[Solved] Alternative solutions to "logging out"

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

aorbiter

[Solved] Alternative solutions to "logging out"

Unread post by aorbiter » 2013-07-15, 22:18

In the past, I would typically log out of sites where I have logged in.

Recently, beginning with imdb, logging out has become an arcane or lost art. Yahoo is the latest.

I have resorted to using private browsing as a second window to my main browsing window. Then, when I'm done with the logged in site, I close the private browsing window. When I return to the site, I'm no longer logged in.

It's a reasonable solution. But I'm wondering if there are alternatives within the add-on community?
Last edited by Moonchild on 2013-07-16, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked Solved

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Alternative solutions to "logging out"

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-15, 23:10

Logging out is basic functionality that is present (and should always be present) on any site that has a login.

IMdB certainly has it:
IMDB1.png
IMDB1.png (11.66 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
So does Yahoo!:
Yahoo2.png
Yahoo2.png (9.97 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
So, i'm not sure what this "lost art" is that you are talking about. Unless, of course, you are expecting sites to have a direct log out link visible at all times on their pages -- unfortunately modern webdesign doesn't seem to favor that approach anymore.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

aorbiter

Re: Alternative solutions to "logging out" [SOLVED]

Unread post by aorbiter » 2013-07-16, 00:19

Unless, of course, you are expecting sites to have a direct log out link visible at all times on their pages -- unfortunately modern webdesign doesn't seem to favor that approach anymore.
I had to go back and forth with your snapshot and my POV a few times. Nothing. Until I hovered over my signed-in name. This old dog needs to learn a few new tricks. :-)

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-07-16, 01:55

Actually you will need also a plugin like Do Not Track Me and some cookie cleaner, for *really* log off from places like Twitter and Facebook.

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2013-07-16, 06:22

If you want to get rid of all cookies associated with a log-in https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... s/?src=api will do it when you close the tab.

IMPORTANT: at the moment only version 0.3.6.1-pre1 works with Pale Moon. Read the Q&A on how to do this.

aorbiter

Re: [Solved] Alternative solutions to "logging out"

Unread post by aorbiter » 2013-07-16, 10:58

@lobocursor

Thanks! I'm not plugged in to the social networks.

@sIDcORK

Thanks for the referral! I will check it out.

@Moonchild

I lucked out on the hover. At some point, I must have given permission to "something" at imdb. Moments ago, the hover did not evoke a drop-down menu until a no-script permission was granted.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: [Solved] Alternative solutions to "logging out"

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-16, 11:27

Blocking javascript on web pages is something that will often break things -- 99% of web pages require javascript to function properly.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite