uBlock Origin Problem Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

dtoxic
Moon lover
Moon lover

uBlock Origin Problem

Unread post by dtoxic » 2022-01-17, 17:30

Can some one help with uBlock origin

every time i try to download something via right click a window pops up saying "The download cannot be saved because an unknown error occurred"

everything works fine when i disable uBO completley in addons

is there a particular setting that does this? does some one know

EDIT:

Found the problem, It was the "Easy Privacy List" for some reason

admin can close this
Windows 7 SP1 X64
Windows 10 LTSC X64

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: uBlock Origin Problem

Unread post by ron_1 » 2022-01-17, 17:43

If this occurs every time you try a download, my non-expert opinion would be to create a new profile, then add uBo to your new profile, and then try a download. Sometimes profiles get corrupt.

Or, before that route, you can list all of the filters you use in uBo, and any non-standard settings you've made in it.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2022-01-17, 18:01

dtoxic wrote:
2022-01-17, 17:30
EDIT:

Found the problem, It was the "Easy Privacy List" for some reason
Something else is wrong because I use that filter and have no problems.
[Wasn't this in another thread??]

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-18, 00:16

Look at uBO's logs to see what all first party scripts were blocked on that page. The name or the URL of the script should give you a clue as to what it's for and whether it could be related to uploading files. In the log page for uBO, if you type -- in the search bar, it will show only what was blocked (with a red background).
ron_1 wrote:
2022-01-17, 17:43
If this occurs every time you try a download, my non-expert opinion would be to create a new profile, then add uBo to your new profile, and then try a download. Sometimes profiles get corrupt.
That's like burning down your house to get rid of a spider (arachnophobes may find that a sensible precaution :P )
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2022-01-18, 00:43

moonbat wrote:
2022-01-18, 00:16
That's like burning down your house to get rid of a spider (arachnophobes may find that a sensible precaution :P )
Not if the profile is indeed corrupt. It's happened to me (a corrupt profile).

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-18, 01:36

ron_1 wrote:
2022-01-18, 00:43
Not if the profile is indeed corrupt.
Which isn't the case here, since an errant uBO filter was the culprit.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-01-18, 02:18

uBlock Origin (uBO) is a very effective and forgiving AdBlocker used in its basic mode. Amazingly, almost no user knowledge or interaction is required... so I suspect we all tend to take uBO rather for granted... it just works. :D

uBO is very simple to install... and just leave 'as is'... i.e. make no changes. Simply leave uBO with its basic setup and the default selection of filter lists that are automatically enabled on installation. uBO will then work day in, day out, usually without a hitch and with the activated filter lists being update automatically every few days. No user input required. :)

However, uBO is really an extremely capable and complex blocking tool which will reward further reading, learning, and thus users gaining deeper insight and understanding into 'howto' use uBO's many capabilities and more advanced features... like uBO's built-in 'Logger' as moonbat recommends using in the discussion above.

There's lots of info available online... fully detailed instructions on uBO's GitHub project pages... a dedicated uBO project Reddit... and several intelligently written 3rd-party reviews with précis 'setup' and 'howto' use advice:
PS. Don't forget that Pale Moon uses a legacy version of uBO (currently v1.16.4.30)... so there will be a few differences in the popup and menu layouts shown in the latest uBO guides... but nothing of significance IMHO.
Last edited by Blacklab on 2022-01-18, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-18, 02:36

Pays to just learn to use the logger when a site breaks because of it. At least you can see what got blocked that shouldn't have, and the filter that was responsible. Beats having to totally disable it on the site and then face the ads and other crap on it.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-01-18, 02:40

moonbat wrote:
2022-01-18, 01:36
Which isn't the case here, since an errant uBO filter was the culprit.
You ignored the critical point ron_1 made: "something else is wrong". I also use the same filter list and don't have the download problem either. It must be the filter in combination with something else (OS, config setting, extension), and people reporting this stuff aren't giving enough details or doing routine troubleshooting. And it does sound to me like the discussion in the other thread.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-01-18, 03:04

@Michaell: I tend to agree with both you and ron_1... if this was a widespread problem there would be dozens of reports.

However, just a couple of times recently I have experienced the same/similar 'hesitation' with the operation of the right-click 'Save As...' option... and got a "The download cannot be saved because an unknown error occurred" warning pop-up. I happened to just click the 'Save As...' option again on both occasions... and second time round the save/download command worked normally. :)

I can't repeat this 'hesitation'... so it may have been a sticky mouse button... or the filter list has since been updated... or gremlins... or whatever? So regret a 'Not Proven' judgement would be handed-down in a Scottish court.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-01-18, 07:46

The OP didn't bother to search before posting.

The issue was already discussed recently so this is definitively a duplicate thread.