uBlock Origin failing?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

uBlock Origin failing?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-12-08, 13:45

I noticed this morning on two websites that some ads had "sneaked" through . . . so I opened up uBo's dashboard and clicked the update filters button. Usually it takes less than a minute for them to update, but today they aren't updating at all (I tried twice). Anybody else noticing anything weird about uBo?

BTW, the sites I noticed the ads on were yahoo and majorgeeks.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: uBlock Origin failing?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-12-08, 14:05

Okay, so I closed the browser, then reopened it. Went to uBo's dashboard and clicked purge cache then clicked update filters. Everything updated, and then visited the two mentioned sites, and no ads. So it appears that uBo didn't "engage," for lack of a better word, the previous time I opened Pale Moon. Anybody else experience anything like this?

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2021-12-08, 14:41

@ron_1: I couldn't replicate your earlier problem with uBo's filter lists. Individual or bulk cache purges and filter updates were all normal.
ron_1 wrote:So it appears that uBo didn't "engage," for lack of a better word, the previous time I opened Pale Moon. Anybody else experience anything like this?
I'm not sure what the 'technical' term might be... but I occasionally get 'gremlins' with all software... usually on start-up... and because most of us use browsers almost continuously we are very quick to spot anything amiss with the functionality or the look and feel of the UI.

I have had the occasional 'bad' starts or re-starts with Pale Moon, but they are rare. More recently I've had several 'odd UI restarts' with a brand new download of Firefox ESR... but then I've been doing a lot of re-starts fiddling with CSS scripts to improve Mozilla's new-to-ESR stream 'Proton' UI.

Another restart, allowing a little 'dwell time' for the browser to fully shut-down usually fixes the problem. :) As ever, the more Add-ons and/or the more CSS scripts you add to a browser the more opportunities there are for errors and conflicts.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-12-08, 15:17

ron_1 wrote:
2021-12-08, 14:05
Anybody else experience anything like this?
No, my filter subscriptions usually update right away when it's done manually, as they did just now (uBlock Origin v1.16.4.30).
Occasionally some individual list needs a second try (busy connection?), but that doesn't happen for me very often.

If you come to find there is some consistent issue that you observe though, and can reproduce, it should probably be reported here.

ron_1 wrote:
2021-12-08, 13:45
the sites I noticed the ads on were yahoo and majorgeeks
I don't use either of those sites much and didn't "explore", but see no ads on the front page of either one while visiting them right now.

If it happens again (and if updating filter lists doesn't fix it), it can be reported to uAssets.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2021-12-09, 17:15

I've had this problem pop up on rare occasions. Restarting PM has always fixed the update delay.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18