This addon does nothing Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

gnguyen9173

This addon does nothing

Unread post by gnguyen9173 » 2021-12-02, 05:48

https://realityripple.com/Software/Mozi ... /BabbleOn/

It's the only addon available when searching for `translate` on Pale Moon's addons site.

gnguyen9173

Re: This addon does nothing

Unread post by gnguyen9173 » 2021-12-02, 13:12

Is there any other translation addons?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-12-02, 15:09

AFAIK there isn't.

I don't have this one installed to confirm, but did have a different one (that's no longer available) installed that stopped working a couple of months ago.

Dont know if the reasons are the same, but Google DOES seem to have made changes during the last few months that break translation extensions,

Edit:
Just installed BabbleOn, and confirm that it does nothing.
There is no redirect to a Google Translate page.

gnguyen9173

Unread post by gnguyen9173 » 2021-12-02, 16:10

Does Pale Moon has any built-in translating feature? I mean, at least, translating the whole page to the user's language. On Chrome and Firefox, this is available by default without requiring you to install any addons or extensions. From what I experienced so far it seems Pale Moon really doesn't have such feature.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-12-02, 16:20

No.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-12-02, 16:24

BabbleOn requires two things for the translation icon to show up: your browser's locale needs to be set to your language of choice (intl.accept_languages in about:config), and you need to be on a website with a lang attribute in the <html> element that is not blank and does not match your browser's language of choice.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-12-02, 16:37

gnguyen9173 wrote:
2021-12-02, 16:10
I mean, at least, translating the whole page to the user's language.
And how do you think a web browser would have that functionality built in? You think we'd build in some kind of AI and huge dictionaries to (probably poorly) translate pages? And if not, how do you think we'd translate then? Not like we are a Google that already runs their own translator or a Firefox that is funded by Google and can use their services. And no before you ask, that is not free except for end-users who go to the translation website and do it that way. Any integration requires API keys for a service that costs money.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-12-02, 17:03

RealityRipple wrote:
2021-12-02, 16:24
BabbleOn requires two things...
Installed BabbleOn v1.4 .

intl.accept_languages = en-US, en here.

Page to translate: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26149
(from PM forum's German language section)

Nothing happened.

Are you saying that it does work for you?

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-12-02, 17:22

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-12-02, 17:03
RealityRipple wrote:
2021-12-02, 16:24
BabbleOn requires two things...
Installed BabbleOn v1.4 .

intl.accept_languages = en-US, en here.

Page to translate: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26149
(from PM forum's German language section)

Nothing happened.

Are you saying that it does work for you?

Code: Select all

<html dir="ltr" lang="en-us">
Thanks for paying attention.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-12-02, 18:00

RealityRipple wrote:
2021-12-02, 17:22
Thanks for paying attention.
Sorry, but I'm a non-technical user with no idea what "a lang attribute in the <html> element" is or looks like, and no time at the moment to research it.
It's why I provided the link.

I don't plan to use BabbleOn for myself (was just trying to help out the original poster) so from here on will leave it between the two of you, should he care to post further about the extension.

gnguyen9173

Unread post by gnguyen9173 » 2021-12-02, 20:18

Moonchild wrote:
2021-12-02, 16:37
gnguyen9173 wrote:
And how do you think a web browser would have that functionality built in? You think we'd build in some kind of AI and huge dictionaries to (probably poorly) translate pages? And if not, how do you think we'd translate then? Not like we are a Google that already runs their own translator or a Firefox that is funded by Google and can use their services. And no before you ask, that is not free except for end-users who go to the translation website and do it that way. Any integration requires API keys for a service that costs money.
In no way an end user like me could know about this. But addons calling to Google Translate is certainly possible, isn't it? The fact is there is none. Google Translate is not the only free services, what about Yandex, Microsoft, Baidu,...? To sum it up you don't care about your users' very real concern. You are treating us like slaves, and you are the savior giving grace to us. No, I have no needs for you people as my saviors. LibreWolf ahead, bye.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-12-02, 21:16

Moonchild wrote:
2021-12-02, 16:37
gnguyen9173 wrote:

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2021-12-02, 22:04

gnguyen9173 wrote:
2021-12-02, 20:18
In no way an end user like me could know about this. But addons calling to Google Translate is certainly possible, isn't it? The fact is there is none. Google Translate is not the only free services, what about Yandex, Microsoft, Baidu,...? To sum it up you don't care about your users' very real concern. You are treating us like slaves, and you are the savior giving grace to us. No, I have no needs for you people as my saviors. LibreWolf ahead, bye.
I'm sorry, but you don't seem to understand the situation at all. The project at this point is basically a few people working on a passion project for free (aside from voluntary donations that people give if they feel like it). In general, we do not get paid because people use our browser or lose money because you choose to use LibreWolf. I mean, unless someone went to your house and threatened you if you didn't use Pale Moon, I really don't see how you were being treated like a slave. I could complain that our users constantly making demands on three people who are not getting paid and feeling slighted if they do not get the same level of service they would get from a much larger project or a company is like slavery, but I don't because I am technically volunteering and could leave at any time.

As far as I know, no one demanded that you use this browser. No one took away your freedom to use other browsers the moment you became interested in the project, and any such restrictions would be self-imposed by you. You just showed up here and decided that because you were interested in the browser, we have to attempt to "keep you" by delivering what you need as if you were a customer, and that there is something somehow wrong with us if we do not treat you that way.

Why exactly are you insisting on this strange role-play where you act as if we are representatives of some tone-deaf corporation who need to be taught a lesson about failing to satisfy customers, when you are not paying us for a service, and we are working on a passion project that probably isn't economically viable as a commercial idea in the first place? Realistically, if we were a company with customers we had to keep satisfied... we would not be working on a passion project and going on our own way, but forking Chromium and trying to toss in every feature we could think of that will keep people hooked and generate revenue. We're not ignorant of how business works, we just have a different goal than business.

If you want the role of customer and you desire to be served, then I am afraid you chose the wrong browser and no one is to blame for that but you. This project is for people who really miss classic UI design, XUL extensions and themes, and maybe people who are desperate to see a browser engine move forward without Google money for once, even if it's slow-going and involves a lot of compromises and patience. But more importantly, it's for people who want to roll up their sleeves and attempt to solve their own problems to some extent. It's about people working together towards a common goal with limited resources, sharing what they can and doing without when necessary because of what they believe in, what they feel is important. This is not a place where you can show up with a wishlist and expect things to happen while complaining you aren't getting good service. Would you go to a soup kitchen and complain they are not serving elegant enough meals, or ask why they are not giving people the exact food they want the way McDonald's does, without any regard to the fact that it's mostly volunteers serving people who don't pay? If not, why here?

The bottom line is, we never agreed to treat you as our customer, and you never agreed to pay us anything, so we have no relationship and no obligation to each other that you seem to be imagining for some reason.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-12-03, 14:09

He also chose the wrong forum to try and bandodge on.